show us your truck bed trailers

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Here is the beginning of mine. The donor truck was wrecked, so I didnt feel bad cutting it up. Plans are to close up the front of the topper and add a tool box and some expanded steel to the front, as well as jacks front and rear. I have an SUV tent that I can attach to the back until I can afford an RTT.

View attachment 152969

So how are you liking the springs... little long ?? I found the MJ spring length to be a bit too limber. I moved the spring hangers & swapped in XJ springs... MUCH nicer.

Your's looks cool...

Curt

Last edited:

Pilotblake

That is a very stout frame!

Are you keeping the truck rear end or replacing it with a lighter trailer unit?

I will eventually switch it out for something with electric brakes once it gets loaded up with equipment. For the time being it serves as a backup for my MJs axle shafts if I get somewhere and get bound up and break something.

Pilotblake

So how are you liking the springs... little long ?? I found the MJ spring length to be a bit too limber. I moved the spring hangers & swapped in XJ springs... MUCH nicer.

Your's look cool...

Curt

So far they have been alright. I bought some heavy duty shocks that seem to keep the rebound in check. You do have a good idea though with the XJ springs.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Dan
How is the CoG ?? I was going to build mine with a shell, but it just seemed to be too top heavy...
Sorry to hear about the drivetrain issues... JEEPs you either LOVE'm... or their peg'n your frustration meter...

Curt

-Dan

Observer
It does seem to be a little top heavy but not noticeable during regular driving, I can imagine it would be a lot more noticeable on a trail though.
In the future I plan to widen the track width and add larger tires without lifting it, which might help stability.

I still really like having the shell on there. Being a little heavier is a downfall but it also has a lot of benefits that (to me) outweigh a tent trailer.

schunkb

Observer
I began researching builds and keeping my eyes open for a military trailer to convert. In my craigslist surfing, I found a local home built trailer and bought it. Original owner took a mid eighties 3/4 ton service truck, removed everything from the frame forward of the service bed, bent and welded the frame rails into a v-nose configuration and mounted a pintle hitch. He added a fiberglass topper to the service bed, installing a basic 110v system, rudimentary 12v setup with lighter outlets, and mounted a roof vent and small woodburning stove. Front of the bed, he mounted a wood deck, cargo rails, water, fuel, and spare tire storage. He did an excellent and thoughtful job of including interior drawers, storage lockers, and running carpeting.
front deck.jpegside closed.jpegside profile.jpegdrawers.jpegwoodstove and gun racks.jpegwoodstove.jpeg

Since purchasing, I've mounted a window mount a/c in one of the fold down tool boxes, so all I have to do to leave the dogs in a climate controlled kennel is to open the door, remove generator, fire up and go. When not in use, the a/c and gen are behind a locked, weather tight door. The floor space of the trailer fits a cabela's camping roll perfectly for a dog bed (as seen in picture).
rear.jpeg

The passenger side drop down tool box has been transformed into a camp kitchen with room for a three burner camp chef blind stove, with the door used as a table/counter.

I upgraded the 12v system to a simple system consisting of a Minn Kota trolling motor box that houses an AGM 27 battery, has two accessory sockets protected by 10 amp circuit breaker, externally accessed terminals protected by 60 amp circuit breaker, and a charge indicator. The external terminals are wired to a battery tender/charger for use when powering the a/c with the gen, or plugged into the garage while parked at the house. The current draw for the 12v system is to run a 64 qt dc fridge. The fridge hasn't been permanently mounted yet. The simple 12v system is basic, and can be completely removed from the trailer within about a minute. I like the setup. Here's a link to the battery box: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Minn-Kota-Trolling-Motor-Power-Center/20511018

I plan on welding up a rail for a dirtbike just front of the shell/service bed, and will mount the second on a hitch mount rack behind the trailer. The mountain bikes ride inside the trailer while traveling. It has more storage than I have stuff to fill it with, and easily holds all of our gear, leaving the bed of the Truck for our living/sleeping space. We've put in a ridiculously comfortable queen sized latex foam mattress, and I sleep as well as I do at home.

So far, it's been on two trips: Moab and then Fruita, but it worked perfectly. The dogs were cool and comfortable when we were out on long rides, we were comfortable sleeping in the truck without 3 50+ lb dogs with us (we have a vizsla that is neurotic and spoiled rotten, so she still sleeps with us, but that's no different than at home.) Overall, I couldn't be more pleased--and I bought it for WAY less than I could have built it.

The trailer is HEAVY. I don't really feel it behind the cummins, but I wouldn't want to pull it with a light gasser. I only lost 1 mpg off my average from the round trip from denver to moab. It tracks straight, and followed the truck incredibly well in some tight, ugly trails getting away from the crowds to a secluded camp spot. I'll keep updating as I make additions and alterations, but I'll be out enjoying it more than working on it this summer. :)

loaded1.jpg

Last edited:

Kohburn

Adventurer
its not an expedition trailer, but it is a truck bed trailer and it does make a prius more useful for trips
(its an old pic though, it has a tongue box and spare now)

image_zpsa01176fa.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Kohburn:

Now you have proven to me that a Prius can be cool!

Nice job on the trailer. " matching rims would be cool too!"

Kohburn

Adventurer
yeah I don't have them uploaded right now. welded frame from 2x3 14 gauge steel rectangle tubing. narrowed a torsion axle i had (with brakes but those aren't hooked up right now) to fit the fender width. bolted it to the bed with 8 bolts in the stock locations. had to body putty a few dents, remove any rust and prime paint the truck bed before adding the tonneu cover.

pretty straight forward but I can make a little build post/thread on it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater