Shower pumps?

Travelmore

Adventurer
Almost put this in the shower debate but didn't want to go too far off topic. We are happy with our hot on demand Zodi shower. The only thing I want to change is the pump. The D batteries just don't last on the 6 volt. I am debating the Zodi 12V pump or going with a custom setup.

Has anyone ever wired the Zodi 6 volt to a 12 volt source?

Does anyone know what pump Zodi uses for the 12 volt? It looks very similar to the Rule Marine Bilge Pump but the same style comes in 360 gph, 500 gph and 800 gph.

How is the on off switch on the 12 volt? I would like to have a switch in the shower enclosure.

Travelmore

Adventurer
Surprised to see no one had any comments on this. I have moved forward in my testing. The 6 volt cigarette chargers I have left over from an old phone don't provide enough current at any point on the circuit board to power the pump. So I just tried hooking to the D cell battery terminals to the 12 volts coming out of the dash. The pump ran well. Worst case is it burns out during our 10 day trip and we buy a 12 volt pump. The water pressure is better than I have ever gotten out of the pump running off batteries.

My next test will be to see how fast the pump goes through a gallon of water. I am still trying to find a 3 way valve so I can divert water from the shower head back into the holding tank. This will serve 2 purposes. 1 to conserve water and 2 to get the water up to a higher temp.

xtatik

Explorer
Sorry, I hadn't checked in for awhile. But I've done precisely as you intended and wired a Rule bilge pump to run my Zodi. It cranks!! And yes, it is exactly the same unit used by Zodi on their better pump system.
Most items were purchased at West Marine. A 12v cigarette adapter/plug, the pump, 25 feet of dual strand wire and a sealed toggle switch. A simple plastic project box from Radio shack was wired in at the end to mount the switch near the user/shower enclosure. The entire unit (pump, switch and 25 feet of dual strand wire) fits in the original red plastic basin/case, which is approx. 1 cubic foot. It takes up much less space and weighs less than hand pump units and it sets up quicker.
I usually plug it into the rear outlet then fire it up and let it recirc for about five minutes. Then I go about tending to other camp or hygiene stuff then shut the burner off and shower either using the switch to regulate the flow or just dumping the shower head back into the basin to continue to recirculate. Too easy.

Last edited:

Travelmore

Adventurer
I picked up a back up pump in case running the Zodi 6 volt pump off 12 volts burns it out.
Its a Coleman pump. I picked mine up off the clearance rack at Fred Myer for less than $20.
76055.jpg

For the money I could not buy half the parts. I like the shower head better and I might take it for my Zodi.

Last edited:

James86004

Expedition Leader
Where did you get that pump?

My Zodi pump failed on the second trip we took it on. It runs, but does not pump. I took it apart and could find nothing wrong, so I put it back together. I wasn't ready to shell out more money on another pump if the first one failed so quickly. Maybe if I hook up the 12 Volts to it?

Are the impeller tolerances real tight? I was wondering if wear was the reason my pump failed.

Travelmore

Adventurer
I updated my post about the Coleman pump.

James:
As far as failure if them pump makes noise but doesn't move water the first thing I think of is that the impeller broke free of the shaft. It is probably nearly impossible to fix properly but you could try taking it apart and seeing if you can pull the impeller off. Glue it back on with some super glue and give it a go.

I would be surprised if higher voltage would make a difference in your case.

James86004

Expedition Leader
You jogged my memory. I was thinking the impeller was slipping on the shaft. It is a press fit that is more of a slip fit. I took my vise grips to the shaft and smashed it so it is no longer round, and then put the impeller back on. It went back on a lot harder than it came off. It still didn't work.

akraven

The biggest problem I had with changing the pumps on the Zodi showers is that if you start pushing too much water it never gets hot. So I would stay with a smaller flow pump. Good luck.akraven

Travelmore

Adventurer
I would not be surprised if the pump moves the water across the coil too fast to heat it to a comfortable temp if the water is cold. I am really looking for a 3 way valve to install in the shower to save water by sending it back to the supply tank instead of the shower head. This would also serve to allow the temp to be adjusted.

Anyone know where to find a 3 way valve, I have tried big box and local plumbing supply with on luck. Next on my list is West Marine but they are spendy. Thinking I will just use 2 valves and a T.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I played with my pump again this past weekend. It runs, the impeller turns, but the pump has trouble priming. If I disconnect the hose from the pump, and submerge it, it primes. Then I hook the hose back up and take a shower. Except I have to bend over because if you lift the shower head more than 4 ft above the pump, the water stops coming out.

sledheadak

we have a zodi single burner and with our water temps here it doesnt heat the water up enough.our water temps are around 35 deg.we carry a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with the shower head then move the pump into it and the water is a nice 100 deg or so when it come out the shower head.the little pump does suck and am looking at different pumps to replace it with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears