Shower water heater

MOAK

Adventurer
6 or 7 years ago I cobbled together a shower system using a sureflow pump and one of those inexpensive/dare I say cheap, camplux in-line water heaters. For set up I’d pull it out, hang it off the spare tire rack, quick connect it to the pump, hook up the propane line and stick a hose into a 15 gallon dedicated shower water tank. It worked great- however, those inexpensive heaters do not hold up to the rigors of overlanding; even packed in a pelican with foam it was being beaten up. That combined with the fact that it was very slow to drain, so much so that water froze in it twice and blew it out. I’m now looking for a system that I can use that will suck water up from the tank & hook up to our propane tank. Here’s a photo with the propane tank, water tank, and drop down shower enclosure. What are you serious overlanders using and why? Thanks! EDC5E2E2-7B4F-49D1-B1F0-8047C836F5FC.jpeg

MOAK

Adventurer
We heat water on the stove and use a collapsible bucket with one of these
Companion rechargeable showers https://www.anacondastores.com/camp...DwnaCBZllBlD4u9phS_r1ie9LSyHSf0xoCngUQAvD_BwE
It is compact and light and you can use whatever water source you have available so not wasting space with dedicated water carrying.
Nice, but that's not what we are doing. The last thing I would want to do is attempt to find a water source at the end of a long day of driving. Most places we go, (deserts) leave us with zero access to water when camped or on the move.

Beardy

Nice, but that's not what we are doing. The last thing I would want to do is attempt to find a water source at the end of a long day of driving. Most places we go, (deserts) leave us with zero access to water when camped or on the move.

We spend most of our time in remote desert country, so are usually using water from a jerrycan

MOAK

Adventurer
But for an EcoTemp L5, I use pretty much what you started out with.
Its been banged around, but holding up just fine. The thing is cheap enough. Consider it a consumable. I will just buy another if it eventually expires.
Said that,
If not for occasional group trips where the maker of abundant hotwater is a god like status, I would go with something smaller.
Probably a showerbag filled from the stove.
Btw,
Its also used for washing dishes.
After a ton of research I’m thinking along those lines- MOAK must retain his god-like status with his lovely wife! LOL

llamalander

The Zodi propane water heater is pretty simple and durable-
Propane burner heats a coil that has a fixed-rate pump moving water through.
Usual setup is to cycle the water in a 3 gallon fabric bucket, pouring the output back into the bucket until it is the desired temp, at which point you use it. Dial down the burner and put the nozzle back in the bucket while you soap, so over you/the bucket is the on/off.
Maybe not "on demand," but a great minimalist shower for the desert-

pluton

Adventurer
Last I checked, Zodi was dead (about 2 years ago?). The copyright notice on the website (just looked) is 2015. If they're back...great!

simple

Adventurer
I'm also a fan of the bucket and submersible pump.
It sounded like you're original setup was good but the heater was fragile. You pack your own water for showering so why wouldn't it work with the bucket system?

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Well, this was one of those posts that cost me money.. I hate camping with out washing (a swim is enough) but we've got a couple of winter camps (3*C overnight is probable at some of them so the water night be cold or we're camping where there is no river).

I'd looked at the Companion heaters as @Beardy had suggested, but they were bulky and heavy (space is a premium in our 80 series and even more so in the BJ70).

Ended up going with the bigger Nemo that @pluton suggested. Done great, got a few bits to fine tune on using it (not overfilling it with cold water is first up, and then having to boil 2 billy's of water for a quick wash. Reckon one bucket and then some hot and that would do both of us well enough.

86scotty

Cynic
Agreed, no more durable and affordable option than a Nemo Helio. I've had one for years. We keep it in the sun when we know we'll need it and supplement with a couple of coffee kettles of hot water and it gives a nice shower. I see Nemo now makes an overpriced shower shelter too but a basic one from Ebay has lasted us 10 years or more.

J!m

I posted in a couple other threads about my shower/hot water solution. However, it uses the engine, and that may be outside your specific scope...

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Another vote for the Nemo Helio. It's small, stows easily and you can add a kettle of hot water to use it in a rush. Our Helio has stood the test of time and even worked at home when the well was out a few times.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I've had two different set-ups and both worked.... OK. The first, and I still have it, was the Helton hot water unit I picked up from Kurt and cruiser outfitters. This thing is great if you have a good water source. It uses the heat from your motor to heat up the water. All you need is a pump and a hose. The negatives in my opinion are: 1. really only good when you have an ample water source. 2. have to carry a lot of hose and a pump. 3. when you turn the pump off to scrub there is a slug of hot water in the system and you really have to be careful when you start the water back up because a 200 degree cup of water is about to come out.

The second was a simple solar shower bag. I use this when I go camping on the beach. I really enjoy this, it's simple, doesn't use a ton of water and does offer a good rinse down in the evening. I let it sit on my hood all day long so it does get pretty warm. The cons to this are: 1. not much water pressure 2. need to be careful because it's easy to puncture or tear the bag when packing or unpacking. 3. takes a long time to warm up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998