Side Flares

discodisco

Observer
Been planning my build of a 2001 DII and researching what everyone else is doing but I am not sure why people are removing their side flares? I always thought they were there for a reason. Don't get me wrong I like the look but I was wondering what the function or practical reason is for removing the flares. Thanks

2001 Disco II
DI CDL switch
Jumbo Cup Holders
Hannibal Roof Rack
:REOutShootinghunter

pnorvell

Adventurer
Great to hear about the build! Looking forward to it! Here's my experience with the flares. They were the first thing to show weathering, and once it starts, they start to look bad pretty quick. They do not offer much, if any, more clearance over the wheel wells so it was an easy decision for me.

A lot of people choose to refinish them and try to keep them up. After a while it got old and I was sick of it. If I really wanted to fix them I would have had to take them off, sand the rough spots, repaint/lineX etc etc, and then reattach them. I wasn't going to go through all of that personally.

It boils down to personal preference. I was sick of mine snagging on the towel when I would wash it, and the discoloration was killing me. To each their own though!

Peter

discodisco

Observer
Outstanding, Thanks

Appreciate the explanation, it really clears things up. I can see how repainting the flares would get old. I think I will just keep mine covered in mud. Seriously though I am going to have to decide soon if I want to go through the effort of repainting. I will post my build soon.

Disco2Guy

Observer
Use Kiwi show polish with the foam pad on top of the bottle. No need to remove or even mask off the flares. If they're still kinda new (shiny in spots) or rough feeling you may want to use something to remove that first. It took about 10 minutes to do all of the flares and will last a long time.

http://picasaweb.google.com/RovrFlo/FenderFlares#5301097373555465794
PA262784.JPG

That was in late October last year, here they are last Saturday.
http://picasaweb.google.com/bcorns/NCLRMORGJune09#5344616693160210802
P6064398.JPG

discodisco

Observer
Outstanding

Thats a great idea to use kiwi.... I have a ton of it from both my wifes National Guard stint and my current a navy career. Looks great
:wings:
Mike

muskyman

Explorer
Off topic - but that looks a very neat drive-flange end-cap. Where can one get those, if I may ask?

regards,
Michael...

those are factory rover steel wheel caps for the P38 and DII's

you need the grooved lug nuts to snap onto.

they wont fit the defender bolt pattern.

michaelgroves

Explorer
those are factory rover steel wheel caps for the P38 and DII's

you need the grooved lug nuts to snap onto.

they wont fit the defender bolt pattern.

Ah yes, I see now that they cover the wheel nuts and the drive flange. I was visualising something that just went over the drive flange and therefore might fit the Defender too. Thanks for the clarification.

Disco2Guy

Observer
Muskyman is right, and for anyone looking for a set of their own, they were purchased from Expedition Exchange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman