Side Molding

pnorvell

Adventurer
my sliders are my door protectors...i find paint on them all the time...makes people at work think twice about parking close to me.:ylsmoke:

:sombrero: Hadn't thought about that! I know Michaels new model of sliders should act the same! I can't wait to get some sliders!!

pnorvell

Adventurer
i have been wanting to take my flares off for a few weeks now. hoping maybe this weekend weather will permit.

Peter, looks good! :smiley_drive:

Super easy Russ. Be sure to set aside enough time though, as I didn't! I have to finish at some point today. Things you'll need:

-Hair dryer/heatgun(I didn't have either and worked fine without, but a lot of people said to use)
-Citrus Based Goo Gone
-Plastic scraper or credit card, something of the like( Once again I didn't use this but it has been said to make it easier. It did not in my case)
-Buffer
-Wax product

The last two really sealed the deal for me. I was kind of worried when I first took them off because I had multiple pinprick holes along the outer edge of where the flare contacted the fender. After the waxing...:drool::drool::drool:
I love it!! And as I've stated before, if you don't have Blaster, I highly recommend you get some!! Works great!

Peter

pnorvell

Adventurer
My DII doesn't have them either. Now that your fender flares are gone I think the mouldings look out of place. This is the best picture I could find of the side of my truck. My flares and running boards are gone now.

Agreed. I think I might just go for it!! I mean they offer no further protection, they look a little out of place, and it's one more thing to maneuver around when waxing... I think I'm doing it!

Josh

Adventurer
Agreed. I think I might just go for it!! I mean they offer no further protection, they look a little out of place, and it's one more thing to maneuver around when waxing... I think I'm doing it!

Before you decide for sure maybe let a few more people weigh in. At page 2, this debate is only in it's infancy.
:coffee:

RETROFIT

Observer
It will only look nice until somebody whacks your door. I've owned one car without ding guards, and don't wish to do that again.

Isn't that what rock sliders with nerf are made for ? :D

Defenders are really prone to these and sliders with nerf solves the problem. I Sometimes walk to my truck and hear the distinctive "cling" and then see the owner of the car parked next to me with the dented door edge. I mean who swing their door open like that ? Ho well, now its SEP (somebody else's problem) !

Pat

JSBriggs

Adventurer
I took them off on my D1. Its all personal opinion, but on lighter colored trucks, i think they look better without.

attachment.php

From my perspective, if we had some of the more basic trim options they offer in the UK and you were to thinking of adding the trim, I would consider it a mall mod. ;)

-Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_8264a.jpg
    IMG_8264a.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 115

RussRover

Observer
Super easy Russ. Be sure to set aside enough time though, as I didn't! I have to finish at some point today. Things you'll need:

-Hair dryer/heatgun(I didn't have either and worked fine without, but a lot of people said to use)
-Citrus Based Goo Gone
-Plastic scraper or credit card, something of the like( Once again I didn't use this but it has been said to make it easier. It did not in my case)
-Buffer
-Wax product

The last two really sealed the deal for me. I was kind of worried when I first took them off because I had multiple pinprick holes along the outer edge of where the flare contacted the fender. After the waxing...:drool::drool::drool:
I love it!! And as I've stated before, if you don't have Blaster, I highly recommend you get some!! Works great!

Peter

Thanks man! I've done some reading on LRO about this. Gotta find a day on the weekend when its hot, crack open a case, and start working! :elkgrin:

pnorvell

Adventurer
Before you decide for sure maybe let a few more people weigh in. At page 2, this debate is only in it's infancy.
:coffee:

Yeah I think I might wait a little bit. I did, however, find that it is just double sided tape keeping them. I'll have to see where this tread goes!

Peter

pnorvell

Adventurer
Isn't that what rock sliders with nerf are made for ? :D

Defenders are really prone to these and sliders with nerf solves the problem. I Sometimes walk to my truck and hear the distinctive "cling" and then see the owner of the car parked next to me with the dented door edge. I mean who swing their door open like that ? Ho well, now its SEP (somebody else's problem) !

Pat

I'll have to wait to get to that point!! I definitely have rock slider envy though!

Peter

pnorvell

Adventurer
I took them off on my D1. Its all personal opinion, but on lighter colored trucks, i think they look better without.

From my perspective, if we had some of the more basic trim options they offer in the UK and you were to thinking of adding the trim, I would consider it a mall mod. ;)

-Jeff

New term, Mall Mod! I like it! On a serious note, that does seem to be the only reason to keep them. I have no scrapes, dings, or anything of the like on the molding right now. If i did go the route of taking them off. Anyone know how much they go for?

Peter

JSBriggs

Adventurer
How much as in selling them, or as in buying new ones? You can re use the molding if you get new adhesive. I just put my molding in the trash this week as I couldnt find anyone who wanted it.

yubert

Explorer
Here's a pic of my DII w/o the door moldings...

The fenders are gone, I just can't get the idea of removing the molding out of my head. I worry though that it might look wasted out, being a light color. That's what I've always thought too, they offer no further protection.

Anyone have anymore pictures of DII's without them?

Peter

Attachments

• DSCN0156.JPG
    DSCN0156.JPG
    531.9 KB · Views: 109

michaels

Explorer
peter i can hook you up with sliders in august. ;) old or new style, whichever you prefer. i like the new for functionality. step and protection.

EDIT: and i think i'm going to do this soon too. looks much better.

pnorvell

Adventurer
How much as in selling them, or as in buying new ones? You can re use the molding if you get new adhesive. I just put my molding in the trash this week as I couldnt find anyone who wanted it.

As in selling them. I will soon be posting up ads here and there for the fender flares, and want to know how much I should list the molding as well.

Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger