Sierra Challange 2015 Aug 31st - Sept 9th

FullMonte

Adventurer
I knew I should've brought my x-ray machine! It just didn't fit along with all my Ramen.. :/
Seriously, though Clay, you AZ boys tough as the trucks you roll with!

AKClay

Videos

Ok here is the good ones I have. As requested I have put them in a playlist. There is 30 of them and not edited. Might do some editing later. Just wanted to get these up ASAP.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEAkLzO7N-LQqk5WuO0pSZ1V91qaq0Kj8[/video]

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
Thanks for posting those vids and pictures. Looks like you had a great trip. From what I could see it looked like the Gen 3's took some body damage, and the short wheelbases were perfect for that trip. How did the Suzuki and the Gen 2's fair, looked pretty good from what I saw.
Man Clay, a broken leg! What a shame. I hope you heal up fast and get in a walking cast soon.
A post trip report with damage assessment would be educational.
Was the truck following the Jeep pickup an extra cab Ranger on a full size frame?
It looks like those guys may have been some guys from Nevada, who are on Pirate 4x4.

FullMonte

Adventurer
The only real body damage I had, luckily, was my rear bumper, I had an aluminum bar back there but that actually crushed my bumper in. My sliders saved me big time and I plan on getting those reinforced along with a new fabricated rear bumper.

Here is a quick equipment review:

Tires-my 2 ply Award winning Cooper tires didn't stand up to the Rubicon or Fordyce. For this trip, having at least 34" tires, 3 ply with off road rims (not stock) would have kept me on the trail instead of off the trail needing repairs.

Extra parts- CV boots! Hopefully I won't need them after getting some RCV ones but if you're running stock... bring extra. My driver side CV busted twice! Also bring another drive shaft.

Skid plates- mine held up for the most part but, have your drive shaft covered. My gas tank was covered but somehow a rock managed to aim for my drive shaft..

Roof rack bars
Don't get the long ones! They could get caught in the trees!

Winch-my badlands winch worked for the most part, Although it took the AZ boys to figure out why it would only work if you tapped on it. The ground wire wasn't connected properly.

Ham radios- so clear and long range too!

Sat phones could save your life! Or truck for that matter... Thanks Lloyd!

AKClay

The only real body damage I had, luckily, was my rear bumper, I had an aluminum bar back there but that actually crushed my bumper in. My sliders saved me big time and I plan on getting those reinforced along with a new fabricated rear bumper.

Here is a quick equipment review:

Tires-my 2 ply Award winning Cooper tires didn't stand up to the Rubicon or Fordyce. For this trip, having at least 34" tires, 3 ply with off road rims (not stock) would have kept me on the trail instead of off the trail needing repairs.

Extra parts- CV boots! Hopefully I won't need them after getting some RCV ones but if you're running stock... bring extra. My driver side CV busted twice! Also bring another drive shaft.

Skid plates- mine held up for the most part but, have your drive shaft covered. My gas tank was covered but somehow a rock managed to aim for my drive shaft..

Roof rack bars
Don't get the long ones! They could get caught in the trees!

Winch-my badlands winch worked for the most part, Although it took the AZ boys to figure out why it would only work if you tapped on it. The ground wire wasn't connected properly.

Ham radios- so clear and long range too!

Sat phones could save your life! Or truck for that matter... Thanks Lloyd!

I'd get a custom steel drive shaft, CV axles well if you get the custom ones you better hope they stand the test otherwise keep em stock and bring extras... OR SAS the hell out of the front end. I'd say your winch proved itself especially being ran without a ground at all. And yea beefed up rear bumper!

And if you can 35s!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'd get a custom steel drive shaft, CV axles well if you get the custom ones you better hope they stand the test otherwise keep em stock and bring extras... OR SAS the hell out of the front end. I'd say your winch proved itself especially being ran without a ground at all. And yea beefed up rear bumper!

And if you can 35s!

35s you need subframe drop. Won't fit otherwise. 34s are the perfect size. Best mpg, power and handling.

Keep stock drive shaft. Incorporate into the skid. Mine is completely covered/protected.

RCV should fix any issue with strength. My truck did fine with stock shafts (much of it is throttle control and load when turned). SAS is a bad idea. These trucks are all about balance. IFS/IRS is fantastic. Much better in 90% of situations compared to solid axles.

Tcase gears would be sweet. I'm debating doing them when I drop the transmission to replace the rear main seal.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
For this trip, having at least 34" tires, 3 ply with off road rims (not stock) would have kept me on the trail instead of off the trail needing repairs.

What do you mean about the wheels? Do you feel that the OEM wheels don't have enough of a bead on them? My Gen 2.5 wheels do quite well all the way down to 10 psi. Also, I replaced all my valve stems with short rubber ones less likely to shear off against a rock

AKClay

What do you mean about the wheels? Do you feel that the OEM wheels don't have enough of a bead on them? My Gen 2.5 wheels do quite well all the way down to 10 psi. Also, I replaced all my valve stems with short rubber ones less likely to shear off against a rock
In my eyes alloys are way too soft. Steel wheels are better for the rocks

nwoods

Expedition Leader
In my eyes alloys are way too soft. Steel wheels are better for the rocks

Sure in racing, I've seen alloys crack when hitting a rock at speed, but I've never seen an alloy fail at rock crawl speeds. However, I've seen multiple steelies fold up or bend enough to lose the bead. I just think ultimately it depends on how hard you push it, verses mechanical sympathy

montypower

Adventure Time!
Steel are crap for rocks. They bend air leaks... Plus crazy heavy. No thanks.

I've run alloy for years. Sure, it's possible to break them. However, I've never had that problem. Also, never bent them. Every steel wheel I owned got bent and crap got stuck in the bead like crazy.

My alloys are 18lbs. 17" steel wheel would be pushing 30lbs.

If you want the ultimate go forged ($$$).

FullMonte

Adventurer
Thanks for the sum up Lloyd and Peter!
Peter, I'm really glad you're keeping your Montero! Gives me something to model after!

Also, my metal valve stem bent on one of my wheels, I think having rubber ones would've fixed that but they just seem to stick out with the OEM wheels..

Do you guys know if rubber valve stems work for the TPMS? Looking it up later...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle