Sikaflex 505UV, suuuuper hard to pump out, normal?

Dave in AZ

I have a popup truck camper shell being installed this week, a Tune. In preparation, I sealed up holes in my Tacoma truck bed to stop dust and water. Videos and posts I saw recommended Sikaflex 505uv.

I used a tube yesterday, ordered from Amazon the day before. I almost couldn't squeeze it out of the tube using a caulking gun! Took both hands on grip, max effort to get 1" length of a 1/4" thick bead or so out! Then had to rest hands.

Is this normal for this sikaflex, or is this tube partially dried?

And is this the correct caulk to use for sealing water ingress on a Tacoma popup camper shell? I expected to use silicone, but everyone talks up sikaflex...
Thanks!

glennm01

There should be a date on the side of the tube. With the wrong gun though, yes, it can be impossible to get out. You don't have to spend a ton though -- I've found that upgrading from the $5 gun to the $15 gun at Home Depot made all the difference.

llamalander

AZ isn't so warm right now, how warm is the caulk? Plenty of sealants that flow at room temp (60º+) get pretty unworkable below 40º, don't know if that might help your case...

Dave in AZ

There should be a date on the side of the tube. With the wrong gun though, yes, it can be impossible to get out. You don't have to spend a ton though -- I've found that upgrading from the $5 gun to the $15 gun at Home Depot made all the difference.
Ahh, yep! Use by Jan 2023... temp was 70f in the sun. Got a 2nd tube delivered today, softer, but still Use bu Dec 23...

Roktman

Hey Dave in AZ , I don't prefer silicon for situations like that , I got the marine sikaflex 292i amazing stuff adhesive and sealant , like the others said keep it in the house a day prior to using, although I just sent back a tube of this to Amazon and ordered another because it looked like it had been rolling around in someone's truck box for 6 months ,lol

ThundahBeagle

I'm using something like it to seal between the logs of my cabin home. Up here in the NothEast, this time of year it is pointless to try and work with this stuff outside unless you have a warmer oven, like they use for mobile windshield replacement.

Its gotta be warm and even then it's still a bit viscous. I can work the inside until the spring. Oddly, instead of Amazon, there are probably some Log Cabin supply outlets that could get you that stuff. Maybe not as cheap, but probably not expired either. Or a marina

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior