Silverado 1500 and Suburban frame compared to the 2500 frame

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Hello,

so i know the mid-section frame rail of the 2500 is 215x90x4.5mm using 60k PSI steel, which is one of the strongest frames out there after the Ford which got 240x90x4.7mm.

The Ford's little brother still got an impressive 225x90.2.2mm piece, wo similiar in size to the HD brother but thinner steel.

Is this similiar with GM? Anyone got the measurements of that profil for the recent or the previous model line? Which i guess would be the same or similiar for the Suburban, H2 and Escalade?

Kind regards

Marcus

1stDeuce

Explorer
I can't quote dimensions, but the 2500 versions of the later trucks (Since GMT 800 at least) go up in both thickness and frame depth compared to the 1500 versions. The SUV versions are also different than the truck versions, with material thickness differences as well as overall frame differences between the 1500 and 2500 trucks.

FWIW, the measurements you are quoting are not the only marker of "frame strength". Geometry of not only the rails but also the crossmembers plays a HUGE part in the overall strength of the frame... A frame can be "strong" but still exhibit some flex (Ford frames) and it can be very rigid in terms of flex and end up with a weak point because of stresses (Ram with truck camper in Baja...)

Good luck in your quest for knowledge!!

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Absolutly agree! These dimensions are only one information, but usually a good baseline or first info, since its rare to find a massive profile and then very weak crossmembers. Also at least amoung most HD trucks there ar a lof of similiaritys otherwise, since they have similiar crossmember design, are all fully boxed 2017+, identical lenght, very similiar axle setup (especially Ford &Ram) and overall a similiar idea behind them. Also at least the steel psi is usually 50-60k with all of them.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
For example if you compare the big 3 heavy dutys, it does look pretty uneven at least from my perspective:

Ford F2/350 Pickup-Version = 240x89x4.7mm, 50.000PSI steel

Chevrolet Silverado 2/3500 Pickup-Version = 215x90x4.5, 60.000PSI steel

Dodge RAM 2/3500 Pickup-Version = 197x70x3-4mm steel (depending on high stress or non high stress area, 50.000PSI steel.

So for example judging by those numbers, the ram does fall pretty far behind, it would need some really superior crossmember-design to compensate here as far as i understand and i dont see a reason why GM and Ford, both huge manufacturers, would not be able or willing to do the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179