Simple Fuso

Hi, I'm new to the forum.. tried to search for this but it just wasn't working out. I have 2 major questions:

1. Has anyone built a box truck camper using the original box?? Pretty much every build thread I find seems to be ditching the factory box for a pre-made camper or paying mega bucks for a custom made box.

2. Has anyone constructed a pass through from the drivers compartment to the box on a Fuso/Npr.

I'm dreaming pretty big right now, but ideally I would like to start with an NPR or a FUSO box and divide it into 10ft of living space and 8ft of cargo room for some toys.

I plan on living in this rig full time for a couple of years, but I'm not looking for a luxury build. At this point I see no need for 4WD, unless I can find it for cheap.

If someone has already tried to go down this road I would appreciate any input you have. Also if anyone has any pictures of campers built INSIDE a factory box I would appreciate it.

Tom

Tom_D

Observer
Details

Mine has a pass through. See the RUF site for pictures. It is useful, but because the box is on a torque free subframe the cab and box move independently and the bellows must be attached with tape (I use black 39 tape that looks decent).

The reason people build custom boxes is because we want torque free subframes. On rough roads and uneven surfaces a rigidly attached box will stress and windows will pop etc. Drive the Alaskan highways and you will see many RV/5 wheels with cracks, popped windows and broken cabinets. With a properly designed subframe the dishes will barely rattle. Of course one thing that help is to slow down too. We would regularly be passed by 5 wheels only to see them pulled over with broken bits. The driver in his cushy F super-duty never had a clue what damage was going on back in the 5 wheel. We talked to guys with cabinets breaking off the walls, broken floors, popped windows... one woman complained that she had paid $80K for her motor home and it was falling apart.

Also dust can be a problem with delivery box designs. For example, the dempster highway is 1000 Kms of dirt. It is imperative that the inside be dust free. Climbing into a dirty bunk and cooking in a dusty camper is no fun if you are on the road for 2 months.

Tom

dzzz

I kinda doubt a torque free subframe keeps a camper from falling apart over washboard roads. That probably has more to do with proper and high quality construction.

Building onto an existing truck box would require determining how much the box flexes, and then designing the interior around that distortion (is possible).

westyss

Explorer
Also I have never seen a factory box, is there one?? But i would sure look into making a camper out of a normal box, especially when its done its flexing about. Just have to mount cabinets etc loosely so they dont break. Making a one off box is alot of work!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
There is a 4x4 GREEN fuso on here right now for sale. I believe he is asking 7K for it. It has two rooms, one is listed as a spare/guest room. Turn that into your garage and you are set.

As for factory box. Big concerns with that is obviously going to be if you are on bumpy dirt roads you risk twisting the box and cracking it. Therefore the factory mounts would have to be addressed. Basically what I would suggest is that you lift the camper portion a few inches and make up new mounts. Do some research on here and you can find a LOT of info on how to mount the box on the bed of the camper. Beyond that if you want to build it yourself I would HIGHLY recommend that you get a freezer box and build that up.

Reasons for freezer. The thing is already set up with what you want. Likely a roll up rear door, and a side access door, on top of that it has all the insulation you could need. Pop out the freezer components and put in a window.

OH and if you do get one yourself, and you are looking to keep the price down you can always look at buying a broken down old trailer/rv and then gut the thing and put all of it inside your truck.

Another thought for you... If you do go with a garage, you could always put it under a bed which is part of the main room. Some what like a Class C motorhome, only with the garage where the cab would be in a class C.

On the Pass through.... YES You can do it! The important thing to know, however, is that it is going to cost you. The way you have to do it is to put on a very high roof. Much like the wind breaks you see on the over the road 18 wheelers. Open the roof up enough to get the pass trough high enough to get over the engine components. Also you have to remember that you would need a bellows to connect the thing, as the cab is a tilt cab to access the engine components.

Well those are my thoughts for you. I do not own one, but I have spent a fair amount of time researching the things as I would be very willing to consider building one myself.
Cheers

Last edited:

VicHanson

Adventurer
Hi Tom,

Welcome to Dreamland! I don't mean that sarcastically, it's where I started and I suppose many others. I had so many ideas going through my head, I couldn't get to sleep many nights! Just be prepared to change and adapt as you go and learn. I had wanted a pass through as well but decided it wasn't worth the trouble, and then when I went with a truck camper it wasn't practical, as I put a bike garage under the over-cab bed.

My first freeway drive with my truck I only got 11.5 mpg, that was with the empty delivery box on it, at 60 mph. If you do go with a standard box on it, I would strongly suggest that you put some kind of a wind fairing on it to improve the aerodynamics. I got better mileage driving around the city than on the highway. The Isuzu comes from the factory as just a cab and chassis, the boxes are installed by the dealer or buyer, I think Fuso is the same.

I seriously considered a trailer mounted on the chassis, but then decided to go with a truck camper to get the room for a bike garage. If you could get a good deal on a used toy hauler, mounting that on the chassis might be an option. Also check the wheelbase and recommendations for box size (unless it already has a 18' box as you mentioned), the NPR comes in four different wheelbases.

After taking the delivery box off mine, I realized how rusty the frame was. Not sure what the cause was but there was serious rust between the truck frame and the box. I cleaned the loose rust off the frame, used Ospho to kill the rust and then repainted the frame. I bought my truck in Florida, not sure if it has always been here or if it was from snow/salt country originally. Anyway, I'm sure glad I removed the box to see that problem.

I can't find it now but Kerry previously posted a couple of photos of a conversion using a standard box. It was plain and simple, maybe he can re-post the photos.

Have fun with your planning and building.
Vic

wow.. thank you so for the great responses... I'm starting my search for a truck in the next few weeks.. I will most likely start a build thread when I finally get one.

Thanks, Tom

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
You can find them all over ebay these days.

I saw a really nice Hino cab over, well done it looks like, that you might consider. It is on Ebay, in Utah. The nice things are that the rear has two back doors (that are not full width) and the side has a door in it that has a few steps down, easy for access as a camper. Not a 4x4 as far as I know, but pretty nice looking all told. I think he is only asking 4K for it too. Link to the truck here I believe it has about 150k on the ticker.

Anyhow it is an idea.

gait

Explorer
just completed a build (preparing for trip in next day or so). About 6 months from first weld to usable. Very industrial looking rectangular box (4x2.1x2.1m) made of frameless 22mm (50mm floor and roof) fibreglass structural panel glued with Sikaflex on simple sub-frame. The panels arrived as a "flat-pack" much like something big from Ikea. The box was the easy bit. Fitout took a bit longer. I'll post some piccies on another thread (I promised John at ATW for the wheels).

kerry

Expedition Leader
I can't find it now but Kerry previously posted a couple of photos of a conversion using a standard box. It was plain and simple, maybe he can re-post the photos.

Vic

Yes, they should be on here somewhere. Guy in upstate NY was selling it. Not a bad deal either when he had it for sale a couple of years ago. I don't have those pictures on this computer.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I found that fuso on here that I meantioned being for sale.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40713&page=2

You should really check it out, it might well be what you are looking for without even needing any work.

The big bonus to buying a used expo vehicle is that the bugs have all been found out, and many have been fixed. That means you have a fully functional truck with out having to learn the hard way what you did wrong in your build.

Just a thought

Brian

Ford Perfect.. thanks for pointing that thread out! Everyone else thanks for the help.. I have been looking on Ebay and using crazedlist as well... realistically I am still a few months away from purchasing anything.. unless a deal comes along that's too good to pass up.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Sure thing!

If that thing was four doors I would seriously be talking to my bank. I love it, it would do very nicely for my needs (other than the need for FOUR seats.) It has three (or typically they do). Such is life I guess. I have personally never felt that it was requisite to get a 4x4 overland camper, many many people do just fine with the two wheel drives. However having it would be fun, I mean you get to check out some cool things. Plus having one would make it easier to convoy with folks.

I have made up some drawings of doing a 22'x10'x10' freezer truck, sure is fun.

By the way, if you are set on doing your own build. Get online and download "Google Sketchup" it is free, and a really good CAD program for drawing up what you want to build. Once you get it all laid out then you can even 'paint' all of the surfaces so you can get an idea of what you would be getting yourself into. 3D and everything nice...

Well good luck either way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle