Simple Solar + 12V Combo to Charge Secondary Battery for GFC

jefftothe

Hi!

I have a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT with a GFC on the back. I was hoping to set up a simple way to plug my Dometic PLB40 Battery into both my solar and the 12V socket in the bed. Currently I have to physically switch the cables plugged in.

I was hoping for something similar to the Renogy DCC50S 12V 50A DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT but looking into the wiring that's to also charge the car battery as well. I'm guessing I could just not wire it to the car battery but wanted to confirm before dropping $300 on the controller. I have this plug in the bed and could get a new adaptor to just having the wiring to plug into the controller.

Let me know if this makes sense or if theres a better thread!

RedRoostre

Couldn't you just treat the plug in the bed as the "car battery" side? Will the wire be large enough to handle 50A? (I'd think it would need to be at least 6awg.)

Look at the Redarc BCDC1225. Very similar, but seems more rugged and only puts out 25A. Looks like 8awg would do it.

jefftothe

I found a a 30A version from Renogy too instead of the 50A. I realized I linked the 50A after posting which would be overkill for me.

Just to confirm both options (the Renogy and Redarc) would flip between the 12V plug and solar depending on which was generating power?

jefftothe

Couldn't you just treat the plug in the bed as the "car battery" side? Will the wire be large enough to handle 50A? (I'd think it would need to be at least 6awg.)

Look at the Redarc BCDC1225. Very similar, but seems more rugged and only puts out 25A. Looks like 8awg would do it.

I was looking around some more and saw this thread: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/dual-charging-goal-zero-yeti-400.205957/

Since the power station already has a charge controller, would just connecting the 2 power sources be possible? (I posted in that thread too, but it's old so I'm not sure I'll get a response). I guessing I would have to add some inline fuses just in case, but it would be something like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle