Simpson Desert Motorcycle Crossing!

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
Sign me up as well! :bike_rider: There are a number of tracks out that way which are on my list for next year or the year after, conditions and group depending.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I've done it twice. Lots of motorcycles out there. Most are small track bikes with a support crew of 2-4 vehicles that carry camping equipment and supplies for the group. I've come across larger enduro biles (KTM 990) 3-4 times, but rare.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If anyone is interested there is a good little 4 page article.....just simple info and only about one and a bit pages of text. ....on Simpson Crossings regarding suitable bike choices, east vs west, when to go, how much fuel & water, comms, the route, etc. in issue #40 of Trail Bike Adventure Magazine.

If you wanted a back issue, I'd try www.tbam.com.au.

Last edited:

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
If anyone is interested there is a good little 4 page article.....just simple info and only about one and a bit pages of text. ....on Simpson Crossings regarding suitable bike choices, east vs west, when to go, how much fuel & water, comms, the route, etc. in issue #40 of Trail Bike Adventure Magazine.

Cheers! I'll try and get a copy.
Humphrey

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Respect!!!! I did the French Line in a Wrangler and it was rough. You get my respect doing it on a bike.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

whatcharterboat

HumphreyBear

Sign me up as well! There are a number of tracks out that way which are on my list for next year or the year after, conditions and group depending.

Are you planning on heading out this Winter?? Have you got support?? I know a guy who does it every few years or so with a 4x4 Canter supporting half a dozen bikes or more. Not sure what he's up to this year but I might know of a couple of other trucks heading out too.

Not trying to put you off if you're planning to head out by yourself. That'd mean carrying a LOT of fuel to carry wouldn't it ?????

Regards John.

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
Hey John,
No, not thinking of doing it solo, I'm feeling adventurous, not crazy... :0) I have been talking with a mate of mine in Canberra who is a Land Rover-a-holic who is interested in being support crew with probably another vehicle, and a couple of other blokes who are keen to be either in other cars or on bikes as well. I'm hoping that there'll be three or four of us on bikes, but the drop out rate after "what a great idea" to "oh, I signed up for what..." will be pretty high I suspect.
I can't plan too much at this point as I might be moving overseas in the new year, but if you run into that guy could you pass along his details or vice versa? I'll PM you mine just in case. If he's done it a couple of times then I'd love to pick his brain
Cheers,
Humphrey.

whatcharterboat

but the drop out rate after "what a great idea" to "oh, I signed up for what..." will be pretty high I suspect.

Hahahahahaha........yeah I'm already thinking that myself. Just looked at my DL sprawled out over 2 bays of my home garage and thinking it'll never happen. Trying to make it a proper desert sled but might be a big ask in 3 months with my work load ......see how I go. That is the plan though.

Unfortunately this was as it used to look.
Vstrom.jpg

but if you run into that guy could you pass along his details or vice versa? I'll PM you mine just in case. If he's done it a couple of times then I'd love to pick his brain

No Worries. I don't see much of him but he's (Tony >>>> "fgcrazy") occasionally on ExPo here so I'll leave a PM and see if he replies. He's got the perfect support truck...... 4x4 Canter Crewcab, big off road wheels, shower, heaps of storage for camping gear, could probably carry a few 44's of fuel and still load a couple of bikes if they completely died. He said they went with 6 bikes last year. He rode too and he roped his dad into driving the truck. Haha.
Regards John.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online