Single rear seat for the XJ question

saburai

Explorer
Hi All,

I'm building a storage and drawer deck for my XJ. I'm pulling the rear seat and putting my EdgeStar 'fridge on the passenger side so that it can be accessed from the side door as well as from the cockpit. However, I still would like to, in a pinch, retain the ability to carry a third passenger. I want this set up to be able to fold down and stow under a removable or hinged portion of the deck when not in use...

As usual, input comments, real world experience and criticism is much appreciated!

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I don't know what kind of "fit-n-finish" you are looking for...

I'm going to retrofit the WJ seats into my XJ eventually. They are a split seat IIRC.

Otherwise I'd be inclined to get a bucket seat from another vehicle. Maybe another XJ or a small Japanese car. Space is such that you don't have a lot of flexibility for mounting.

HTH

saburai

Explorer
I don't know what kind of "fit-n-finish" you are looking for...

I'm going to retrofit the WJ seats into my XJ eventually. They are a split seat IIRC.

Otherwise I'd be inclined to get a bucket seat from another vehicle. Maybe another XJ or a small Japanese car. Space is such that you don't have a lot of flexibility for mounting.

HTH

Thanks for the input!

Both split and bucket are a no go for me. I need all the space on the passenger side and as to the bucket, unless it's a low back that will fold flat it won't do either since I want to be able to close the deck over it...

troy

Adventurer
I would bet if you cut your seat in half (if you are willing) and fabbed a couple brackets it would look factory. There used to be a guy that did this for TJs.

You'd send them your seats, they would cut and sew them up. It was just a couple extra brackets and then you had 50/50 split seating. If you are planning a storage platform, you could bolt pivot points directly to your box and reinforce it.

Just an idea. Good luck.

saburai

Explorer
I would bet if you cut your seat in half (if you are willing) and fabbed a couple brackets it would look factory. There used to be a guy that did this for TJs.

You'd send them your seats, they would cut and sew them up. It was just a couple extra brackets and then you had 50/50 split seating. If you are planning a storage platform, you could bolt pivot points directly to your box and reinforce it.

Just an idea. Good luck.

Thanks but I need to loose every thing on the passenger side so a split seat will not suffice...

John90XJ

Adventurer
Try a removable seat from a Chrysler minivan. They also hinge up, backs fold down, they fold back to sleep in and meet DOT requirements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger