Single rear wheel conversion...

Jared Platzer

So I know this topic as been beaten to death then raised from the dead only to beaten to death again. Well, I saw a post in one of the SRW threads for 17" wheels that would work for the front and rear simply by flipping them. I have spent many evenings trying to find this post/website in my computers history and searching this forum. I am sure I simply went full retard and it is right under my nose. If anyone has any idea what I am talking about and can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Jared

bptp7270

Adventurer
Hi Jared,

I think the thread you are looking for is "Kym Bolton on super single rims and tyres"
If you put this into the search function it should take you there

Jared Platzer

Sorry for the newbie questions...Are SRW wheels and off road tires all one really needs for the SRW conversion? Are Kym Bolton's wheels the recommended route? What size tires recommended? Would I need I higher clearance/lifted suspension to clear said tires? Thanks for the previous reply as well.

Jared

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Are Kym Bolton's wheels the recommended route?
There are quite a few threads on Expo that discuss the pros and cons of varying single wheel/tyre setups.
The major issue, as I see it, is if you want to be legal or not in regards to your tyre selection and the truck's GVM.
For a truck with a GVM of 6 tonne there are not too many options, whereas a truck that has been de-rated to 4.5 tonne has way more options.

How long is a piece of string???

hinocairnseclipse

Jared I was also searching for a thread on this subject a couple of weeks back with not much luck.

I remember finding some comments by a tour operator in Far North Queensland saying he had snapped a couple of studs running singles, but that's about it.

If you find anything lemme know too please :)

I have a Hino 4x4 and I can't get the singles to run in the same track given that the front wheels run in the gap between the rear wheels so I figure I'm running with duals and consider two of them spares that I don't need to find mounting places for ;) (plus don't have to mess around changing registration or run contrary to the truck's paperwork)

I did ring Hino to ask them (because their rally truck has single rears) and when I asked him if it meant a completely different rear axle he said yes... not convincingly tho, I think I might already know more than he does about the subject... but hey, I HAVE been researching it to the best of my ability ;)
But it makes sense given the speeds they quote for those things, its gotta have a different ratio diff than mine!

bptp7270

Adventurer
Jared I was also searching for a thread on this subject a couple of weeks back with not much luck.

I remember finding some comments by a tour operator in Far North Queensland saying he had snapped a couple of studs running singles, but that's about it.

If you find anything lemme know too please :)

I have a Hino 4x4 and I can't get the singles to run in the same track given that the front wheels run in the gap between the rear wheels so I figure I'm running with duals and consider two of them spares that I don't need to find mounting places for ;) (plus don't have to mess around changing registration or run contrary to the truck's paperwork)

I did ring Hino to ask them (because their rally truck has single rears) and when I asked him if it meant a completely different rear axle he said yes... not convincingly tho, I think I might already know more than he does about the subject... but hey, I HAVE been researching it to the best of my ability ;)
But it makes sense given the speeds they quote for those things, its gotta have a different ratio diff than mine!

Hi mate,

I am pretty sure that I remember seeing a Hino with single rears in a photo from ATW, so it would be my advice to contact them. Getting the front and rear to run the same track is usually achieved by getting the offset right and fitting the rears opposite way round to the fronts.

lehel1

Adventurer
srw conversion

I will resume my stalking of the forum then thanks for the input.

Jared

hello guys
im running singles on my fuso camper and wouldnt run it any other way. heres a few notes to keep in mind.
you cannot run the dually wheels as singles, the offset is incorrect meaning the front and rears track will not line up.
i opted to go with the 19.5 custom rims (available now thru "rickson wheels" here in the states my choice was the availability of high enoungh rating tires of which yokohama 303 (close shoulder) or the toyo 608 (open shoulder) are available here.the size im running is 285/70 19.5 i prefer the toyos after running both. have a rating of 6300 lbs per tire and are fairly bulletproof.
the second route avaiable now is thru earthcruiser with 17 in wheels, and they say theyve found a sutible tire to run on these rims.
good luck and enjoy your trucks cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears