Single Speed suggestions

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I know that some of you ride single speed mountain bikes. I demoed (yet another) 29er SS this past weekend, and I am really starting to dig the SS set up. The gears were 34tx22t, which seemed just about right, but I did have problems up some hills, as my legs are still pretty weak.

Then I test rode a Redline Monocog Flight and it really felt great. I liked how flickable it felt even with the 29" wheels. But I only rode it around the streets by the bike shop and not on the trails. They also had the regular Monocog there (cheaper). I really like the feel of the Monocog Flight, minus the gearing, which was 32x20. I mean, it wasn't bad at all, but I'd like to change it out to a 34x22 or 23. But the bike was a great value (I believe $800). I was also looking at Raleigh XXIX, but no one seems to have them in my size in stock.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? I am going to try out the rigid forks for a while unless I can't take it, which then I'll switch to a Reba or if funds allow, a Fox.

PS, I know I started the other thread about the Gary Fisher 29ers, so I apologize about not being able to make up my mind.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I have an "Anniversary" MonoCog. Didn't know it when I bought, not sure what that really means. Anyway, it's gearing is short for popping around town, but is nice for the trails.
If you're used to a suspension fork, you'll soon remember why they were made. It does change your way of riding. I didn't notice it going over, but coming back to rigid sure made an impression. ;)

I have a dedicated SS that I built from mail order parts while at Chico State in '98-'99 Might have been the first disc braked SS in the region, dunno. I run either 35/17 or 34/17 on it and I've been known to run a 36 Biopace for the mostly flat rides that have short - steep climbs in them. Moving your hips way back on the bike cheats the Biopace into being a smaller ring.

I gotta get back into SS shape......

Speaker

Adventurer
I know exactly what you mean about the XXIX, it took me about 3 months to find one for sale close by (I had to drive 45 minutes to get it.) However, the geometry for the XXIX is weird.. they have big big top tubes for tiny little seat tubes, so keep that in mind when sizing. I am 6'2" and ride an 18" XXIX. I bought mine for $575+tax with all the components listed on the Raleigh specs plus Titec El Norte bars, and Selle Italia SLR xp saddle.

From what I hear from everyone of my buddies that work in shops, monocogs are kind of... not great. The flight is the better of the two, but they all say the steel used is too heavy, and the geometry is wacky. This is just hearsay of course, I've only ridden a Monocog 29er once on pavement. It did feel pretty heavy.

On gearing, I'm running 33x24 (i think 24, don't have the bike with me at work, will update) I'm a modestly strong rider, and used to push 32x16 on my 26" rigid SS. The 29er just needs more leverage to get those wheels spinning though.

EDIT: One more thing, if you want an XXIX see if you can get one from 2007 or 2008, the '09s are just HORRIBLE looking
ral_xxix_dirtyred_07_m.jpg
vs
R08_XXIX-blue-MD.jpg
vs 2009
RA_09_MD_29er-Alice-Blue.jpg

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My understanding of the Monocog's is that they are not MTB geometry, but rather BMX geometry. At least the steel versions, no idea about the aluminum versions. I weighed mine as pictured with the Avid mech discs and it is 27 lbs. I think that were it a true MTB design & built from an MTB tube set that it could be 4-8 lbs lighter. My goal with an SS never has been for ultralight weight, it's been about the simplicity of the ride. With an SS you're always in the wrong gear.
MonocogII.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I ride a Spot Brand 29er singlespeed. I really love that bike. One of the best bikes I've owned in many, many years. I must know of at least a dozen other riders with Spot 29ers and all of them rave about them. Mine is set up with 32x21 gearing, which seems perfect for a reasonably strong rider in an area with many long or steep climbs. I started with a 32x24 and ditched that quickly.

I just saw a Monocog Flite for the first time the other day. That is a screaming deal. Personally, I prefer a suspension fork, but I'd ride that bike in a heartbeat. The only other 29er SS I have had was a Fisher Rig and while it was a good starter set up and the price was right, I really wasn't thrilled by the ride or the quality of the frame. The eccentric bottom bracket was a constant sore spot and always needed love.

The other really popular 29er SS around here (the land of 29er SS bikes) is the Surly Karate Monkey. I think I'd go with the Flite.

Check out the Spot bikes.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Speaker - Yeah, I found one XXIX here, but it's a small. I really wished that I could've taken the Monocog out on the trails, but on pavement, it felt good. Never was a BMX'er, so I don't know how those compare. I hope to find an XXIX to test. I also found that 07's were non-suspension corrected and the 08-09's are. I don't think the 09's look too bad at all, though.

ntsqd - Yeah, I might end up with a suspension fork. It is pretty rocky over here, so I know eventually the rigid set up will take toll...

Kermit - This was my original thought - Give myself about $1500-$2000 to build or buy a bike. There was only a few of prerequisites - 1) Had to be a steel frame. 2) Sliding dropouts. 3) Set up to run gears if needed, just incase I wuss out. :D.....:eek:

I was thinking a Vassago Jabber frame and building up from there. That would've put me at about that price range, I think. But then, I got a bit more sensible and thought that I should try a SS out for a full season before dropping a lot of cash into it. That's when I started looking for a $4-700 bike, which is where I'm at right now with the MCF and XXIX. Then if I survive the first season and I get through the initiation process, then I would feel better about dropping $2000 on a SS.

Oh, and the Soulcraft frames look super nice, but at $1600, I don't know if I can take that kind of a punishment. From the wife, I mean. :D

Flounder - I've seen some Spot's (I think one was yours?) on some of the other threads. Do they just make frames or complete bikes? What is the price range for those frames? The belt drive is interesting. Beautiful bikes.

I think I am sold on the Flite as my starter bike. Or even the basic Monocog 29er.

Speaker

Adventurer
The ebay voodoos come out of Flagstaff, That's why I get you extra special deal for you almoast free extra special!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Cackalak Han said:
Speaker -
Flounder - I've seen some Spot's (I think one was yours?) on some of the other threads. Do they just make frames or complete bikes? What is the price range for those frames? The belt drive is interesting. Beautiful bikes.

I think I am sold on the Flite as my starter bike. Or even the basic Monocog 29er.
A colorado made Spot frame runs about $975 as I recall. However, they have their new Longboard belt drive bikes available as complete bikes for under $1800. That's complete with hydro brakes, the belt system....a very nice build. I think those bike have a suspension fork included.

I have to say, I think steel is the way to go with a SS 29er. There's something about the riding style on a SS bike that favors the feel of steel.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Kermit said:
Or a Moots Ti ;)

My friend had one built with horizontal dropouts and a derailer hanger.
I'd go along with that if money were not a factor. However, money is a mega factor and in terms of bang for buck in the SS world, steel might be the better value. Just my two pennies.

I had a Moots road bike years ago. Maybe it's time for another Moots.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Kermit said:
Or a Moots Ti ;)

My friend had one built with horizontal dropouts and a derailer hanger.
There was a time when I had it all mapped out, exactly which body part I was going to sell to get exactly that, a Ti Moots YBB built up as an SS.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Kermit - I am around a 18" frame size. Maybe 19", depending on the geometry. The 17" Monocog I tried out felt okay, too, but just a little bit too small.

Flounder - That sounds like a great deal for the Spot. Their website is not up, though. I guess I have to call?

Speaker - So what is this deal? :sombrero:

So I called around yesterday. Only was able to find one shop with a 2007 17" MC Flight and 2007 19" MC & 2008 17" MC. Both of the MC's were the same price ($469), even though one is a year older :)smilies27 ). I just think the 17" frame is going to be too small. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam.

Speaker

Adventurer
How much was the flight?

I'll talk to my bud on Friday to see what sort of deal he can get folks :bike_rider:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Speaker - The Flight was $850 or something like that. That's what the MSRP is, I think. So I think I can talk them way down from that price, since it's an 07.

Kermit - Haven't looked at the Kona's. Do you think it's a better buy than the MCF? The 2-9 Unit does look nice, though. And what's with that bike on ebay? :smilies27 And though it is a good price, I just can't go back to a 26" wheel anymore. :p

EDIT: I may just pick THIS up and save the rest for the potential future build (even though it is an aluminum frame.....)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman