Singlespeed Cranks

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I've currently got SLX cranks (with a Surly ring) on my SS 29er. I've been contemplating on getting an XTR M960 and converting that to SS (usually around $160-170 for cranks, rings and BB), or going with White Industries ENO ($160 @ Pricepoint and $40 for the ring. No BB included). XTR will be cheaper, BUT it will be used.

For those with experience with both sets, what's your take? I could care less about looks (though both look great). Performance is what I'm after, and reliability. With WI, I'll probably end up getting a Phil BB.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Most of the guys in my riding mob use those ENO cranks. This may sound like an odd thing to say about those cranks and rings, but...they are round. Not all rings are actually round, which makes getting good tension a bit tricky. I've been using the titanium spindled ENO BB, but just last month swapped to the Phil BB. The ti BB was nice, but I theorize it was flexy enough to cause my bearing cartridges to load unevenly and wear quicker than normal. Not an unusual scenario.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks, Flounder. Do you find any disadvantages of square taper BB's vs external BB? I've only used ext BB for years and have no complaints. I've heard good things about Phil BB, though.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I can't find any fault with square taper. Sure, you could argue the more current outboard bearing systems paired with two-piece cranks are stiffer, but square taper was good enough for the first century of cycling, so a few more years under me is fine. What I like most about square taper systems is the ability to choose precise spindle lengths for optimal Q-factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78