Skamper buy advice! What to look for?

CatfishHunter

We might have found a unicorn!

Tomorrow we are going to look at a 1990 Skamper pop-up/slide-in for our 2005 Ranger 3.0 with rear air bags and short bed.

I see a lot of great threads here about Skamper flips and mods but first things first..

1) What are some of the most important things to check for and how do we go about it? We'll be meeting the seller at a gas station so we'll bring our generator to check electric shore hookup as well as our full propane tank incase the one on board is empty.

Structurally I think we'll have a pretty good idea of what to check out, but I'm more concerned with the utilities, especially the battery, wiring, etc. But any little tips are appreciated. For example, I read it's important to crank the pop-up only halfway up and make sure it'll hold there on it's own.

2) Asking price is $2,500. Seems pretty high even after I talk them down a few hundred. Especially since the jacks aren't included. I see a lot of people getting theirs for free or a few hundred dollars. But I know it's important to consider our market in SoCal being sparse as well as price inflation on damn near everything out here.. so what are your thoughts on price?

Thanks y'all!

Edit: Checked NADA price (duh) and seems average price should be about $1,050.

Last edited:

UHAULER

Explorer
I think the most important thing is checking for water damage. I'm not sure about the roof, I think it might be the same as the Northstar campers, HECO brand rack and pinion lift. I've had 2 Northstar campers and can't recall ever wanting to or needing to have the roof stay up half way. One of the nice things about having an electric roof vent is the ability to close all windows and door when lowering the roof, this will suck in the fabric as you lower the roof. Also, I don't think nada guide isn't very accurate, their numbers seem very low. It's all about supply and demand.

Bill Barlow

Skamper Camper

Check the rear corners of the roof. The roof torsion bars will wrap the roof corner. (see picture)

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 21

MichGoBlue

I think water damage, good condition canvas, and a properly working roof mechanism are the most important things to consider as they are all hard to address yourself. I picked up a 1988 off brand pop-up (Four Seasons Magnum) last Summer and have been able to redo all the plumbing and electrical fairly easily (installed new Truck Fridge, Fantastic Fan, redo electrical panel, replace the converter, water-pump, etc.) For me its a lot harder to redo exterior seams and replace rotted wood.

Also, I too have an older Ranger and it is harder to find campers that fit the smaller trucks, so the prices tend to be higher than for the full size trucks. Get some jacks though as you'll be wanting to work on it and and will need them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears