Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

16_Crewmax_

it felt stiff because you where hitting those stops every bump I would work on increasing your ride height. The poster earlier was right, big shock more up travel. You could do a coil over conversion ($$$$$). But it would give you adjustable right height and adjustable valving to make you rig ride a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

java

Expedition Leader
it felt stiff because you where hitting those stops every bump I would work on increasing your ride height. The poster earlier was right, big shock more up travel. You could do a coil over conversion ($$$$$). But it would give you adjustable right height and adjustable valving to make you rig ride a lot better.

Yeah I'm wondering if that's the case. I'll grease the bump stop pads next trip out. They were pretty deep holes. It's about 2" up travel before it touches.

There is a leveling kit that is a 1.5" under spring perch spacer. It's a cheap option to try.

I'll go kelderman before coil over they are pretty well proven on these trucks. It's what earthroamer uses.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

16_Crewmax_

Your still going to want a set of shocks to go with whatever lift you chose be it air or a spacer

java

Expedition Leader
Your still going to want a set of shocks to go with whatever lift you chose be it air or a spacer

Agreed! I'm pretty happy with the 5100's I did in the rear. The really smoothed it out (old ones were completely toast), I'm guessing the fronts aren't much better. It was loaded *** heavy and towed a 26' enclosed trailer by the PO, and a horse trailer with the POO

16_Crewmax_

5100 are nice (I've had them on my last 4 trucks) I don't know if they will be enough shock. Doesn't hurt to try they are on the cheaper end of shocks

java

Expedition Leader
5100 are nice (I've had them on my last 4 trucks) I don't know if they will be enough shock. Doesn't hurt to try they are on the cheaper end of shocks

Yeah they are reasonably priced.

In reality dirt is maybe 20% of our driving, that's what's going to tax shocks. Can't be worse than the oe stuff that's on there.

I'm curious what my front axle weight is....

java

Expedition Leader
Ungodly haha

Hope it's not too bad! Gonna try to hit a scale in the next couple weeks. Have a long trip planned this summer that it would be awesome to get this all dialed in for.

java

Expedition Leader
Have you fixed any of the oil leaks on the motor that you spoke of when you first bought this?

Not yet. Its just barely visible that it has leaked on the dip stick now, its been ~1000 miles. I am getting some little black dots on the back doors though.

I will likely do the injector harness and leave the oil pan alone, its just a huge PITA to get out. Its not leaking fast enough to go to the top of the priority list. I need to get the up pipes done though, it gets stinky in the cab randomly it seems...

java

Expedition Leader
If you are riding on the bump stops, that's brutal. Do you have enough spring rate to hold up the truck?
I don't think I'm riding on them. I need to look through the body builders book and see if there is an axle CL fender lip measurement, or find a local f450 to measure....

And I feel like I have enough spring, it not wallowy and feels good driving and cornering.

I will get axle weights soon, that should help so we aren't just guesstimating

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I don't think I'm riding on them. I need to look through the body builders book and see if there is an axle CL fender lip measurement, or find a local f450 to measure....

And I feel like I have enough spring, it not wallowy and feels good driving and cornering.

I will get axle weights soon, that should help so we aren't just guesstimating

Frame to axle measurement would be more accurate.

java

Expedition Leader
Frame to axle measurement would be more accurate.
I'll dig through the builders book! But I think it's mostly rear end stuff.

Do you think it's less than stock? It appears the wheel gap is close to OE.

Also the spot it's parked is not level, that side may be loaded a bit more.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I'll dig through the builders book! But I think it's mostly rear end stuff.

Do you think it's less than stock? It appears the wheel gap is close to OE.

Also the spot it's parked is not level, that side may be loaded a bit more.

It might just be that limited, but if the springs are sagging it's an easy fix to gain more travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman