Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

patoz

Expedition Leader
Don't put Rain X on it, that will make the water bead up and it will be like looking through a couple dozen tiny magnifying glasses. In other words, you won be able to see ********! On a windshield, you have air flow to push the beads up and over the vehicle, but on the rear that is a stagnate area, so no air flow over the lens. The same is true for your outside rear view mirrors. Been there, done that...

java

Expedition Leader
Don't put Rain X on it, that will make the water bead up and it will be like looking through a couple dozen tiny magnifying glasses. In other words, you won be able to see ********! On a windshield, you have air flow to push the beads up and over the vehicle, but on the rear that is a stagnate area, so no air flow over the lens. The same is true for your outside rear view mirrors. Been there, done that...
Thanks for the warning! Makes sense....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

patoz

Expedition Leader
Even before Rain X was invented, all of us teenagers would get together on Saturday afternoon at our church under a huge oak tree, and wax our cars. You know, so they would look good while cruising for chicks Saturday night! :cool: Anyway, back then you used Turtle Paste Wax, or you went home. I'm not talking about the modern day cream wax crap, I'm talking about stuff that resembled candle wax in a can. Once you did your complete car, you had a workout!

Since the wax did such a good job on the body, we started waxing all the glass also. It looked great until it started to rain, and then we found out the hard way about good and bad beading.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Ha I am still a paste wax guy, nothing beats it. But I try to only do it once or twice a year..... On my wifes car :D A good claybar and wax makes things nice.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Ha I am still a paste wax guy, nothing beats it. But I try to only do it once or twice a year..... On my wifes car :D A good claybar and wax makes things nice.

I found an easier way to do all of that... I hire a detailer to come out to my house and do it. ?

He will be here tomorrow, and when he finishes with my truck, I'm going to get an estimate for him to do .5 Ambo also.

java

Expedition Leader

I found an easier way to do all of that... I hire a detailer to come out to my house and do it.

He will be here tomorrow, and when he finishes with my truck, I'm going to get an estimate for him to do .5 Ambo also.
Ha I don't bother with my trucks..... They get washed, sometimes, once maybe twice a year?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
GREAT Weekend. Started out Friday night in a CG, but everyone there spread out, and no one was around. Windy and a bit cold, so we made a big ol fire to sit around.

20180420_190136 by Gabe Engler, on Flickr
Hiked up Icicle ridge first thing in the morning, nice easy hike, ~3 miles each way, 1800ft of elevation. Weather was amazing! Sun, but not crazy hot summer temps.
41598131012_64429a65af_b.jpg

40746151275_82fcc2f802_b.jpg

360 degree views off the top of the ridge.
40746131085_9b7f5875fb_b.jpg

Nest up after lunch was some Eastern WA slab climbing! Its been years since I was here (Peshastin Pinnacles) again not sure crazy summer temps, but I still got a bit of sun.... Forgot how damn hard slabs can be to climb..... This one is well bolted which is nice, but leading was a bit sketch still, lots of moss/growth on the rocks from winter. This was the kids first taste of real outdoor climbing.
41637813341_9e6d435591_b.jpg

40746141475_46fc36d568_b.jpg

26769847637_601afb57cd_b.jpg

Then off to find our camp spot! Probably the roughest road we have done to date. It wasn't bad, just slow going. A Subaru full of ladies just about drove off the road starting at us :D 19.5's don't give much, rocks make bumps, and this things sways back and fourth a lot, contemplating more air in the rear bags, but that would also increase spring rate. Maybe thats just a normal big truck thing. Will need a catch on the kitchen drawer, blue tape to the rescue!

40746096695_91fa00da0f_b.jpg

Pictures sure flatten the road out....
26769806407_75b34cf07b_b.jpg

Spot the truck? We hiked up the ridge for fun, it was steep!
41637781601_5450f07ed1_b.jpg

Nice camp site, someone sets up hunting camp here, they have taken the time to dig a flat spot for a wall tent, water drainage ditches and everything.
40746090125_b781a3d426_b.jpg

40927463174_058ebd0826_b.jpg

Now back to truck stuff. Backup cam worked good! Need to get the second cam installed. I aimed the one we currently have ~35 degrees out, I cant quite see the bumper, and cant quite see the car behind me unless its right on my ass. But I treid aiming it down to where I could see the bumper and it was vertigo inducing watching the ground like that :D aimed out a bit is much much better!

Also sat in traffic for 3.5 hours to get an awning yesterday...... all caused by a little fruit stand thing on the side of the road!!! ARGG. Not how I wanted to spend my afternoon, but only two bridges in and out of where I went.... Its a 8' Carefree crank out. I wanted the larger version, but the price was right on this one! More ugly colors!

Now mounting Q: The literature wants through bolts through the wall. I am assuming they are thinking typical camper construction with a thin fiberglass and luan skin. I don't want to through bolt.... It uses 2 1/4" bolts per mounting plate, Thoughts on 4 #10 screws in each plate (3 plates) instead? It weighs ~40-45# or so.

java

Expedition Leader
I dont know why all the pics are showing up dead :( Works on other platforms.... Maybe they will show up eventually.....

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
GREAT Weekend. Started out Friday night in a CG, but everyone there spread out, and no one was around. Windy and a bit cold, so we made a big ol fire to sit around.

20180420_190136 by Gabe Engler, on Flickr
Hiked up Icicle ridge first thing in the morning, nice easy hike, ~3 miles each way, 1800ft of elevation. Weather was amazing! Sun, but not crazy hot summer temps.
41598131012_64429a65af_b.jpg

40746151275_82fcc2f802_b.jpg

360 degree views off the top of the ridge.
40746131085_9b7f5875fb_b.jpg

Nest up after lunch was some Eastern WA slab climbing! Its been years since I was here (Peshastin Pinnacles) again not sure crazy summer temps, but I still got a bit of sun.... Forgot how damn hard slabs can be to climb..... This one is well bolted which is nice, but leading was a bit sketch still, lots of moss/growth on the rocks from winter. This was the kids first taste of real outdoor climbing.
41637813341_9e6d435591_b.jpg

40746141475_46fc36d568_b.jpg

26769847637_601afb57cd_b.jpg

Then off to find our camp spot! Probably the roughest road we have done to date. It wasn't bad, just slow going. A Subaru full of ladies just about drove off the road starting at us :D 19.5's don't give much, rocks make bumps, and this things sways back and fourth a lot, contemplating more air in the rear bags, but that would also increase spring rate. Maybe thats just a normal big truck thing. Will need a catch on the kitchen drawer, blue tape to the rescue!

40746096695_91fa00da0f_b.jpg

Pictures sure flatten the road out....
26769806407_75b34cf07b_b.jpg

Spot the truck? We hiked up the ridge for fun, it was steep!
41637781601_5450f07ed1_b.jpg

Nice camp site, someone sets up hunting camp here, they have taken the time to dig a flat spot for a wall tent, water drainage ditches and everything.
40746090125_b781a3d426_b.jpg

40927463174_058ebd0826_b.jpg

Now back to truck stuff. Backup cam worked good! Need to get the second cam installed. I aimed the one we currently have ~35 degrees out, I cant quite see the bumper, and cant quite see the car behind me unless its right on my ass. But I treid aiming it down to where I could see the bumper and it was vertigo inducing watching the ground like that :D aimed out a bit is much much better!

Also sat in traffic for 3.5 hours to get an awning yesterday...... all caused by a little fruit stand thing on the side of the road!!! ARGG. Not how I wanted to spend my afternoon, but only two bridges in and out of where I went.... Its a 8' Carefree crank out. I wanted the larger version, but the price was right on this one! More ugly colors!

Now mounting Q: The literature wants through bolts through the wall. I am assuming they are thinking typical camper construction with a thin fiberglass and luan skin. I don't want to through bolt.... It uses 2 1/4" bolts per mounting plate, Thoughts on 4 #10 screws in each plate (3 plates) instead? It weighs ~40-45# or so.
I would recommend bolt-thru. With the size of the awning, the weather shifts and winds we get around here, and the off-road vibration the truck will see, better safe than sorry.

patoz

Expedition Leader
The pictures are working fine for me, using Win 10 & Google Chrome on a desktop.

What about using stainless Riv-nuts into the wall studs and the largest bolts that will fit, even if it means drilling out the mounting brackets a little. This is assuming your cabin area is framed with 2" square aluminum tubing.

java

Expedition Leader
The pictures are working fine for me, using Win 10 & Google Chrome on a desktop.

What about using stainless Riv-nuts into the wall studs and the largest bolts that will fit, even if it means drilling out the mounting brackets a little. This is assuming your cabin area is framed with 2" square aluminum tubing.
Odd, I cant see my own I guess (a couple work...)

Riv nuts could be done, its not built like the ambos though. Its 1/8" skin with "ribs" that are clipped together every 12" OC. Does two 1/4" riv nuts have that much more holding power than 4 #10 screws? The wall cavity is 1.75" deep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman