Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

java

Expedition Leader
Was that Larrabee state park you guys camped at? How did you guys like it? I live in Bellingham and am honestly not sure if I've ever even camped there (maybe sometime when I was really young). And yeah, probably not to fun driving something that wide on Chuckanut...

Yes that was Larrabee! Small little CG, loud trains, but quiet and clean otherwise. Short walk to the beach.

My wife did a write up here: http://www.nwadventuretruck.com/larrabee-state-park/

java

Expedition Leader
RE the rock guard, I think if you got yourself a rectangular piece of aluminum, formed it to the contour of the tank and then used some good non-hardening adhesive you could glue it right to the tank. Minimal fab and mounting concerns and it should add all the protection cushion you could ever need. Run vertical beads of the adhesive and don't try to seal the whole thing so water can drain and you would probably be good to go for as long as you're likely to ever own it.

Interesting idea. I think a 1/4" of bed liner would add nearly as much though no?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Interesting idea. I think a 1/4" of bed liner would add nearly as much though no?

I guess it would depend on what hit it? Most of the DIY liners are relatively, rigid I guess, and might transfer the shock right to the tank. Rhino lining is good and rubbery but they don't give that crap away by any stretch. I figured the plate with a bit of gap between it and the tank would be quick, cheap, and easy. Just another idea to mull over.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
I guess it would depend on what hit it? Most of the DIY liners are relatively, rigid I guess, and might transfer the shock right to the tank. Rhino lining is good and rubbery but they don't give that crap away by any stretch. If gourde the plate with a bit of gap between it and the tank would be quick, cheap, and easy. Just another idea to mull over.

Definitely another idea! It does add another layer of metal there too

java

Expedition Leader
6 layers of Dynamat?

In the doors sure! :) I need to get some on the back wall of the truck, its bare sheet metal still.

Im thinking a piece of alum or maybe a big rig mud flap hung behind the tank.

Its a jungle behind the fridge...

33764299231_8a13fcab00_b.jpg

But the stove works!! (and my phone sucks at pics...)
33852706956_41948b0e47_b.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Light bar looks like it might help as a toe/foot perch for reaching around in the engine bay too! Looking good!
Yeah! The bumper actually has a step there, you need it too.... It's deep in there, like I'm a big guy and can't reach the back of the engine to save my life.

Light bar is almost all covered by lights though

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Took the truck to the dump station near me, one 10' hose is just enough for that spot!

Need to make a 45 adapter thing for the cleanout, hose is too stiff to get in and down enough.

ANDDDD got it stuck in the damn driveway again.... buried the front axle. Got it out... Its parked on the other side of the driveway now... The good news is it might have a posi rear end. I had two holes at the back wheels. (it had a gear shop tag on the keys when i got it too)

And built a drawer. May have gone overboard with the pocket screws...
33170331123_8df9622a31_b.jpg

Lots of storage there.
33853428341_a96a1fb7d6_b.jpg

And took a trip up to Whistler to finish off the season
33941868886_464b3b96d8_b.jpg

Can you spot the munchkin?
33983248255_11c1d7acd3_b.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Hey Java, where'd you stay at whistler? We're still looking for good options there... thanks!
We stayed at the coast this time. It's on blackcomb. Pros it's quiet, ski in ski out (if there is snow, still was for us) cheap cons, not In the village. It's a free bus ride though, older building.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
A little bit more whenever i get a free minute!

Pantry drawer done
33180727564_dbe7f5ae4d_b.jpg

Battery monitor and T stat mounted.
33180727584_0b67bc937a_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears