Sleeping Bag Advise

TexGX

Explorer
Hello All,

I tried out a sleeping bag from Costco this weekend and now have some questions. I know that the bag was not the best out there, but I did not have a problem with the bag but how I sleep in a bag. I am a stomach sleeper so I could not find a way to comfortably sleep. I will be using it mainly in my Oasis RTT so I was thinking of ditching the bag and just using a normal bedding.

For those who sleep on their stomach, what works best for you?

TexGX

paulj

Expedition Leader
Yes, most bags, especially the form fitting mummy ones, are designed with back-sleeping in mind.

Some years ago I bought a Sierra Designs model (Sandman?) that was designed to allow movement inside the bag, and hence sleeping in different positions. Features included a generous volume, light elastic to compensate for the volume, and large hood. With that I can sleep on my side, or even belly, with a pillow inside the hood, and still have breathing room.

Unfortunately, they discontinued it, in part, I think, because of licensing complications with another patent holder.

But even with those features, I find that I often prefer to use the bag in a quilt fashion. That is, I unzip it most of the way, stick my feet in the closed foot box, and drape the bag over me. Then I can freely toss and turn, without the bag moving with me. This does require a good sleeping pad or mattress, since the bag does not provide any insulation below. And if the weather turns colder, I may revert to regular sleeping bag use to cut down on drafts.

Some backpackers, aiming at minimizing weight, think that a custom made quilt is the most weight effective way of sleeping.

I've been debating trying a different design - a bag that you can wear. Exped (along with OR) makes a 'Wallcreeper', a close fitting bag, with a front zipper, drawstring foot opening, and arm holes. You can use it as a sleeping bag, but you can also wear it as a long down coat. The idea probably makes most sense to a climber who needs a way of staying warm while huddled on a narrow ledge, but it might work for a stomach sleeper.
http://www.moontrail.com/exped_wallcreeper_pl-lrg.html
walcreeper-pl-main.jpg
wallcreeper_model_stomach.jpg

Last edited:

TexGX

Explorer
I was thinking of getting a double rectangular bag, but I have a spare down blanket. Now one issue with the Oasis is that heat excapes out the bottom, so I also need something under me as well. I am guessing I will not be out in weather much colder then freezing. I like the one bag with the arm holes but would also want independent legs as well. Any other ideas?

TexGX

60LCConvert

Observer
got the rtt ditch the bag, maybe keep it with you for the unexpected but get some nice comfy sheets and a comforter and cozy up, comfort is what its about isn't it. bet the rtt was to get away from having to sleep on the cold hard ground, bet that same costco has a nice bedroom set around there somewhere. :Wow1:

scarydriver

Observer
There's always this thing :sombrero:

sideimageone.jpg

Lippi Selk Bag

Or, for a more traditional option, you can check this bag out.

Big Agnes Encampment

I just bought one this past weekend, so I can't comment on it's use in the field, but I can tell you that it is made to offer plenty of room to move around in it, and at 6'2", 240, I have plenty of room to roll from back, to side, to stomach. And with the air mattress that slides into the sleeve on the bottom of the bag (which is pretty much required), it is SUPER comfortable. :victory:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I highly recommend the Mont Bell bags. Either the Ultra Light Super Stretch Down Hugger or the new Ultra Light Spiral Down Hugger.

They move and flex with you and you can get into just about any position you want. I sleep on my back, side, stomach, whatever as the mood hits me and these bags allow me to do that. I have both a #2 and #7.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=795&p_id=1121791

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=28&p_id=1121726

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=28&p_id=1121734

paulj

Expedition Leader
I think it was Mont Bell's ideas that Sierra Design 'borrowed' for a while in making stretchable bags.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i say since your sleeping in an RTT use regular bedding, or a double bag. you have the space and the weight isnt a big deal, might as well make it like your bed at home.

ddog45

Adventurer
I use wiggy's sleeping bags that are rectangle with a hood . They are made in Grande Junction Colorado. They are sweet I have had mine for 12-14 years and they have not lost any of their loft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan