Sleeping Bag Advise

Mashurst

Adventurer
IMHO...
Mommy bags make no scene unless you have to personal carry it to camp. They are not about comfort they are about weight.
Fancy fill fibers are likewise all about weight. In general, the more you pay for a bag the less wear it will take. I have a very nice light mummy bag that I use every few years for snowshoe trips but if I'm jeep camping, especially with the wife, I go with the biggest roomiest zippytogetherest bag I can find.
The challenge I have found is finding a bag that is rated for really cold weather but is not a mummy. I camp all year around and won’t really mess with a bag that isn't rated to at least 10*f. I gave up being cold at night years ago.
If I had a RTT I would use a big one like the cabalas’ and use it with sheets. I would also bring a big blanket to go over it on really cold night or use along on warmer nights.
Heck with a RTT the world is your oyster why mess with a mummy.

paulj

Expedition Leader
Even when car camping, I like how compactly a good down mummy packs. I don't have space for the big rolls that we used to lug to camp as kids.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
IMHO...
Mummy bags make no scene unless you have to personal carry it to camp.

Not sure I agree with you at all on this one. My wife is a cold sleeper, and needs a tailored-for-women mummy bag to keep her feet from freezing and help keep some semblance of a core temperature going. I sear the woman has no circulation!

Also, I have 4 people in my rig when we go camping. Space is a premium, no matter how close the camp site I park :)

off.track

Adventurer
you said freezing.. i'd just get almost any rectangular bag. i'm a stomach sleeper too but have no problems spinning in my mummy.

off.track

Adventurer
IMHO...
Mommy bags make no scene unless you have to personal carry it to camp. They are not about comfort they are about weight.
Fancy fill fibers are likewise all about weight. In general, the more you pay for a bag the less wear it will take. I have a very nice light mummy bag that I use every few years for snowshoe trips but if I'm jeep camping, especially with the wife, I go with the biggest roomiest zippytogetherest bag I can find.
The challenge I have found is finding a bag that is rated for really cold weather but is not a mummy. I camp all year around and won’t really mess with a bag that isn't rated to at least 10*f. I gave up being cold at night years ago.
If I had a RTT I would use a big one like the cabalas’ and use it with sheets. I would also bring a big blanket to go over it on really cold night or use along on warmer nights.
Heck with a RTT the world is your oyster why mess with a mummy.

definitely disagree.. mummy bags are so much warmer. if you don't believe me, try -15 in both and the come back and rescind your silly statement. :sombrero:

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
As an Oasis RTT owner the trampoline fabric floor is not that warm. Go to your local Lowes or Home Schleppo and buy a roll mylar type bubble wrap from the heater section and put it under the floor cover. That will help to reduce the heat loss on the bottom of the tent.

The most important and safe thing to do is invest in a GOOD Warm Sleeping bag. I have a Warmlite bag and It is the best. The coldest night for me in the bag was at +15F and I was still toasty. This is a mummy bag you can sleep any way you like as it does not roll with you. If you have the hood up you can adjust it to side/back/belly sleep. I am just a happy customer and glad to reccomend a product that has helped me.

http://www.warmlite.com/bags_In.htm

Caution: Their web site has a bit of nudity on it as they are Naturalists

HTH

Mark

ddog45

Adventurer
bags bags bags

And I thought the pictures on the wiggys site were bad. Warmlite wins.
www.wiggys.com
Buys a wiggys bag and if you dont like it I will be very surprised. They make all shapes and sizes.
Oh and they are made in the USA:victory:

Bogo

Adventurer
As an Oasis RTT owner the trampoline fabric floor is not that warm. Go to your local Lowes or Home Schleppo and buy a roll mylar type bubble wrap from the heater section and put it under the floor cover. That will help to reduce the heat loss on the bottom of the tent.

Blocking air flow up through the bottom of the tent will also help allot. The reflective bubble wrap will help do that.

My sleeping bag setup is three sets of sleeping bags. A 0F, 20F, and 40F bags all bought from Target or Wal-Mart on end of season sales. All are rectangular shape, cloth exteriors, synthetic insulation, and synthetic flannel lined. They were all bought in zip together pairs so I have 6 sleeping bags. On a warm night the extra bags go below me to provide more padding. As it gets colder I either change which bag I sleep in, or I nest them. With just the 0F and 20F nested I've slept in the back of my pickup under the topper on a few -20F nights. I was warm enough to sleep well. A note on Coleman sleeping bags. They seam to over rate them a good 10+ degrees. To sleep in them at their rated temperature you'll need to wear long johns.

Air flow. You need enough airflow to get rid of any body moisture produced, but not so much that it cools you. I've experimented some with reflective mylar. It works very well for keeping heat in. So well you may overheat. Unfortunately it is much better at keeping in moisture. I now put a layer of it down under the sleeping bag. I just used the cheap space blankets. Putting a layer above the sleeping bag tends to trap moisture, but it can easily add -10+ to the rating of a sleeping bag when just loosely laid over the top. Any tucking it in invites moisture buildup. I could see putting a layer over the feet and lower legs of a notoriously cold footed person.

On just how effective reflective mylar is: Adventure Medical Emergency Bivi Sack with a long closed cell foam pad works as an ultra light sleeping bag for temps down to freezing. Put the foam pad inside it between you and the ground. That is to keep you separated from the cold ground. The other reason is any moisture that does condense on the inside tends to run down the sides and will collect. It then may collect between the pad and the bag rather than you and the bag. Regulate the temp in the bivi sack by how large of gap you leave at the top. I've slept in near freezing temps with this setup and still needed to vent heat. Sleep in your clothes and bring a dry set of clothes to change into in the morning. Condensation will make wet spots on your clothes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan