Sleeping burb question

Oobray

Adventurer
So I'm making a last minute trip to deer hunt tomorrow. Only staying one night, but it's going to be cold. My buddy that normally brings the camper isn't coming so I'll be by myself. I have a drawer system that takes up whole cargo area of my Yukon XL and I really don't want to take it out. I was thinking about sleeping in second row (I'm short 5'6") but I have captains chairs. They fold flat, but a big gap in the middle. I was thinking about getting some plywood and fitting it back there and sleeping on a foam pad or something. Anyone done that? Also, anyone have some ideas on some kind of small heater for interior? I'm going to park in a barn so not worried about dew or precipitation and could prob put small propane heater in there. Any thoughts? I've seen plenty of suburban sleeping setups in the back, but not in the 2nd row.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
How did you get your 2nd row flat, ours barely even recline in our 03 XL? Or are you just referring to them folding forward with the "shelf" that comes off the rear of the seat to make it flat? I really wish the front seats reclined more than they do, it's a conspiracy I tell you!

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
GM has really come a long way in reducing the utility of the Suburban line since 1995. We got a 96 Yukon in about 98 ("upgrading" from the old square body style) and it was useless. Part of the problem was leather and no rear a/c. It was nice sure, but even in white on grey it was miserable in the back. To add insult to injury, the rear windows wouldn't even barely crack open. Try that at any decent clip and you get the dreaded thumping ear drum effect! And no more storage behind the second row than in a Suburban behind the third!

Then they come out with these second row captains chairs! Why even bother to make the fold? If all you want to haul is a couple of passengers, I guess it might be okay...

To try to sleep back there? Better you than me!

I can get by sleeping on a bench seat in a square. I wouldn't try to sleep anywhere but the cargo area on an air mattress in a 92+.

How about a tent? They aren't really that bad. Certainly better than trying to curl up in the second row! Just get a good sleeping bag. An air mattress will help insulate you from the ground. You should be able to score a tent, bag, and air mattress for less than $200 if you shop carefully. None of it will be top shelf stuff, but it will beat the soreness and stiffness of the alternative!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
GM has really come a long way in reducing the utility of the Suburban line since 1995. We got a 96 Yukon in about 98 ("upgrading" from the old square body style) and it was useless. Part of the problem was leather and no rear a/c. It was nice sure, but even in white on grey it was miserable in the back. To add insult to injury, the rear windows wouldn't even barely crack open. Try that at any decent clip and you get the dreaded thumping ear drum effect! And no more storage behind the second row than in a Suburban behind the third!

Then they come out with these second row captains chairs! Why even bother to make the fold? If all you want to haul is a couple of passengers, I guess it might be okay...

To try to sleep back there? Better you than me!

I can get by sleeping on a bench seat in a square. I wouldn't try to sleep anywhere but the cargo area on an air mattress in a 92+.

How about a tent? They aren't really that bad. Certainly better than trying to curl up in the second row! Just get a good sleeping bag. An air mattress will help insulate you from the ground. You should be able to score a tent, bag, and air mattress for less than $200 if you shop carefully. None of it will be top shelf stuff, but it will beat the soreness and stiffness of the alternative!

We actually prefer the captain's chairs in the 2nd row, it is what we were looking for when I started searching last year. As for sleeping in the back, I have an XL cot that fits perfectly in the back and worked great on the elk hunt.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Why isn't the OP sleeping atop his drawer system? Bridge the area of the folded / stored 2nd row and you have plenty of room.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/161631-Storage-Drawers-Platform-for-my-GMT800-Suburban-WIP

storagebuild132.jpg

Oobray

Adventurer
I'll get pics up soon, but I can't sleep onto because i designed the system to fit in the back with the third row bench seat folded forward. So the distance between the back of the "shelf" and the tailgate is only 48". I'm short, but not that short. I wanted to keep the third row in the truck for a few reasons. 1. We actually use the third row on occasion. That's why we wanted captains seats also because it's easy for kids to get in/out with the third row. 2. I don't want to have to find a place at the house to store it. I don't normally camp out of the truck, which is why the drawers weren't built around that in mind.

Yes, I'm thinking about folding the captains chairs forward creating a shelf that's plenty wide enough for me, and cutting some 3/4" plywood to span the gap. With that and a backpacking air mattress I should be fine. I don't really want to go and spend any money on a tent. Worst case scenario I'll get a cot and just sleep in the barn. I'll only need to get in the truck if its below 40 deg or so. I'll post up pics whenever I put it in to show in case someone else ever wants to try it.

Thanks for the replies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12