Sleeping Platform

gnarlycharlie

Just wanted to say thanks for the creative ideas. I made a simple two part platform using 3/4" ply. threaded schedule 80 plumbing and flange and outdoor carpet. A Mr Heater, Zero degree bag and a thermarest keep it comfortable. Sleeps 3 comfortably.

Attachments

• 178993_422360761152851_736189974_n.jpeg
    178993_422360761152851_736189974_n.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 65

gnarlycharlie

Insulated the bed of the truck so cold nights at Mt Bachelor don't get so gnarly.

Attachments

• photo 1 copy.jpg
    photo 1 copy.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 45
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 41
  • photo 2 copy.jpg
    photo 2 copy.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 38
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 41
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 40
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 38
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 41

robert

Expedition Leader
Good idea on the reflectix. I use it in my VW and am happy with it. Adding insulation over the windows will make a big difference too as they have almost no insulating value. It sucks blocking out the light, but it really does help keep the heat in (as well as help with stealth camping). I like my wool blankets too.

Remember you need fresh air to run a Mr Heater/Buddy heater! They have a low O2 sensor, but not a carbon monoxide alarm- you can pick up a combo smoke/CO detector for around $40 from the big box stores. On a side note, the Mr Heaters will suck a one pound cylinder dry in about seven hours but you can hook them up to a larger tank with an extension hose and run it much longer- and much cheaper. I have one of the 11# tanks that I use and I've been happy with it and it's size (once I got over the purchase cost).

gnarlycharlie

I have reflextix under those banners. I also carry a sensor and keep the windows from the cab and the two side windows cracked while running the heater. I've also run a hose from my yakima roof rack where I store the propane while parked. It's pretty much set.

kingg5

Adventurer
is there a certain part number i should be looking for? im going to put this under the mattress in the rtt once i get it.

wADVr

Adventurer
How do you like the headroom with that height of platform and would you mind measuring it? Also what kind of pickup is it?

Been wanting to build a platform for my jeep but being able to sit up to get dressed seems important. Some platforms I see here doesn't seem like that would be possible.

gnarlycharlie

headroom is about 30'' (estimate). 2000 Toyota Tundra. If I remove the other half of the platform There is plenty of room, I can actually put a low profile camping chair next to the platform and kick back in it with plenty of head room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior