slide in camper for short bed.

isenegger

i recently acquired a 2001 dodge ram 2500 4x4 V10. it seems to run good. has a few tranny flaws but overall pretty clean truck. i was wanting to do a built on it for camping and beach roaming. i like the slide in pop up campers vs a topper but i havent really seen anything for a short bed truck. can someone lead me in the right direction?

IMG-20120727-00103.jpg

IMG-20120722-00094.jpg

IMG-20120722-00092.jpg

IMG-20120722-00093.jpg

Bill_G_62439

Observer
I own a '98 Dodge Ram 1500 shortbed and just acquired an 8 ft Skamper pop-up project. I left the tailgate down and the camper comes almost to the end of the gate. I also currently own an 8 ft Cameo hard-side camper which also comes to the end of the tailgate. If your budget allows for a new unit designed for a shortbed, that's great. But you may find longer units more readily available in the used market. Having just spent a month on the road in an 8 footer, I can testify that the extra 1 1/2 feet was very much appreciated. As long as you watch your GVWR and center of gravity, your pop-up doesn't necessarily have to fit inside the shortbed box.

Here are a couple photos to give you an idea:

P7217781.JPG

P7217780.JPG

Good luck on your search!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I carry a FWC Grandby on my short bed Dodge - there is really only one thing I don't like about it:

The long-bed camper in a short bed truck results with almost all of the camper weight on the rear axle. A 6' camper would put more on the front than the 8' will - but as Bill G (above) noted - having that extra room is pretty nice (particularly with two people and two largish dogs in the camper).

Attachments

• FWC_9.jpg
    FWC_9.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 34

Bolson

We have a Palomino Bronco 1251 that is designed to fit in a short box truck ( ours is in a 2001 F350 ) , and while it's not as light as a 4wheel camper , and it's mostly made of beaver barf ( particle board ) it's got a toilet , hot water and a shower ( and an outside) shower happy Wife , happy camping trips

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Four Wheel Camper makes the Raven model for full sized short (under 6') bed trucks.

I am very happy with my FWC, so I wanted to put that option out there. :)

bahbilama

I love my Raven and i keep the truck footprint so it's real easy to get around. Here's a recent photo:
smlatterpatern.jpg
Looking at your photos, you may have a 6 ft bed so the hawk would be better and more available used if that's what you want. My bed is 5 ft 8 inches so the Raven is perfect.

isenegger

yes mine is the 6' bed, i do like the shorter 6' slid ins as opposed to the longer long bed slide ins

im in texas and does anyone know what they go for used, i know there are alot of variables but what is expected to pay?

bob91yj

Resident **************
I've got a SunLite Skyhawk in the back of my shortbed (6.5' bed) Dmax, and I can close the tailgate. It's actually made for a mini truck, but sitting on a 2" tall platform, the overhang clears and it works great for us. Spent a couple of years watching Craigslist to find this one.

truck005.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Northstar TC650

Northstar offers a TC650 for yours. If you keep your eyes peeled,they're out there on Craigslist used. No overhang and some offer the extended sleeping area where you sleep fore and aft.

rxsleeper

I spent 2+ years watching CL for a short bed camper for my '03 Duramax Crew. Found one earlier this month just a little over 100 miles away. So far I am greatly pleased with the Phoenix I found. Fits perfectly, spent the weekend in it 3 days after bringing it home. I posted it in the first thread in this area but here is a pic from my Road Atlanta weekend.

attachment.php

SLO_F-250

Explorer
There are alot of options out there. Are you considering New? Used? What is your budget? These are are HUGE factors in deciding the camper. How "decked" out do you want the camper? Toilet, Shower, Hot water, etc. More factors....

My lady and I are simple so the basics work for us. I also had a small budget and wanted a short bed camper. 8ft camper sicking out the back of my short bed was not an option. :smiley_drive:

I started off with a 1989 Skamper Camper 060S which is for a Mid-size truck. Price was right at $700. Took it home and started the modifications. All in all $1600 or so into the project and beat it up for 2.5 years with nothing but great stories.

Then a 1990 FWC hawk popped up for sale down the road. I always wanted this exact camper so I picked it up. I could afford a bit more and at $2500 not bad for a very used FWC. After working on a full and proper refurb I am around $3400 into it.

Picts of the Old Skamper:
DOWN.jpg

Sizeddown.jpg

Picts of the new (to me) FWC Hawk
HawkFord-Copy.jpg

I put a lot of time into both, but that is what you get with an older camper. GOOD LUCK! Keep asking questions. :victory: I searched and researched for about 8 months before I found the Skamper years ago.

Paul

isenegger

^^^ the 1st one is exactly what i would love to come across. something that needs a little bit of work. i dont wanna spend any more than 1200 for a camper

Bill_G_62439

Observer
Craigslist is a great place to start. I had to drive 5 hours round trip to pick up my project, but I have very little in it (monetarily). You can find all makes, models, conditions and prices. And not everyone who owns a camper for sale knows what much about them. Get educated and happy hunting! $1200 will go a long way on a nice, older pup-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle