Slide-in campers & half-ton pickups: GMC Sierra AT4

FlatlandSK

I'm not sure if this is the best forum sub-group or not, but I am looking into well built, insulated slide-in campers for half-ton pickups that fit within a standard (6'6") bed while retaining the tailgate. The bed length on my AT4 is 79.4", the Camp-X slide in is 6'8" floor length, if there were no associated mounting hardware would be half an inch too long. The Camp-X fits the bill for all other options though, self-contained, durable, insulated, and simple to service and maintain. I realize that these are two areas that already have restricted offerings, as most slide-ins are made for 3/4 ton+ vehicles and most overlanding company's gloss over the 1/2 ton market as a whole.

While keeping the tailgate may seem frivolous, the newer tailgates like the GMC Multi-Pro with built-in steps are actually a very nice addition, not only do they beat the hell out of a rubbermaid step stool but they also provide a sizeable landing while entering/exiting and secure the storage behind the wheel wells. Is anyone aware of companies within the US or North American market that have a product that fits the bill? I have looked at the camper shell varieties, but having a self contained unit that is better insulated and rain/dust tight is much more appealing.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
This?

Or try to find a used Six Pac short bed front dinette cabover.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
The actual size of the bed really isnt dependent on the truck being 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. Most of them share the same bed sizes, the real difference is the chassis, not the body. The only reason people choose 3/4 ton is that it carries the load with more ease. As for fitting the camper, its going to be a matter of seeing the campers you're interested in first hand. Having worked with numerous mid-size truck campers and full size truck campers, there is definitely some wiggle room, if youre willing to modify things. On a Tacoma for example, if you're willing to remove or modify the header rail of the bed you can easily gain an inch or more to squeeze in a camper. On my Dodge with an "8 foot bed" which was actually over 100 inches, I loved having a shorter camper which allowed me to have a porch when the tailgate was down. If you get creative you can definitely get exactly what you want. It might mean buying an extra tailgate to chop an inch out of. Think outside the box.

FlatlandSK

True, both 3/4 and 1/2 ton have have similar size bed. What I had meant by referencing the 1/2 ton was the weight restrictions. I would prefer to keep the loaded weight of the slide-in at or under 1,600lbs which would be about 200lbs less than my payload capacity. In current GM, and at least previous model Fords, the 6'6" standard bed in the 1/2 ton is actually about 2" shorter than the corresponding 6'6" standard bed in the 3/4 ton.

The Camp-X that I referenced would fit the bill perfect in each category that I am interested; reasonable insulation, basic functional amenities, good head room, durability of components, and an empty weight of 1,200lbs. It's only downfall is that it is slightly too long to retain the tailgate.

I had thought of manipulating the header rail of the bed and I believe it would free up nearly an inch, but I am admittedly not real keen on taking a cutting wheel to new pickup. With the level of complexity already in the tailgate (folding steps, cameras, etc.) I don't think there is much space to be gained there. I had hoped, perhaps foolishly, that someone would be aware of a camper model that would fit entirely contained in the the 79" bed and be similar in design/build to the Camp-X.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Most campers and shells will not fit with the tailgate up. It is a safety thing, not allowing anyone to be trapped inside if some yahoo puts the tail gate up while occupied.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
True, both 3/4 and 1/2 ton have have similar size bed. What I had meant by referencing the 1/2 ton was the weight restrictions. I would prefer to keep the loaded weight of the slide-in at or under 1,600lbs which would be about 200lbs less than my payload capacity. In current GM, and at least previous model Fords, the 6'6" standard bed in the 1/2 ton is actually about 2" shorter than the corresponding 6'6" standard bed in the 3/4 ton.

The Camp-X that I referenced would fit the bill perfect in each category that I am interested; reasonable insulation, basic functional amenities, good head room, durability of components, and an empty weight of 1,200lbs. It's only downfall is that it is slightly too long to retain the tailgate.

I had thought of manipulating the header rail of the bed and I believe it would free up nearly an inch, but I am admittedly not real keen on taking a cutting wheel to new pickup. With the level of complexity already in the tailgate (folding steps, cameras, etc.) I don't think there is much space to be gained there. I had hoped, perhaps foolishly, that someone would be aware of a camper model that would fit entirely contained in the the 79" bed and be similar in design/build to the Camp-X.

Interesting the beds are slightly different on those Chevys. On my taco the piece of the header is actually replaceable so it could simply be removed entirely. Maybe you arent so lucky ha.1344DF9A-5F10-4761-B933-CDD3164BFBE6.jpg

Most campers and shells will not fit with the tailgate up. It is a safety thing, not allowing anyone to be trapped inside if some yahoo puts the tail gate up while occupied.

I dont know about newer campers but on all 4 that Ive had in the past, the passenger side window was the emergency pop-out type where you could flip the lever and the whole window would pop out of the frame. I guess if there arent windows on a particular camper that point is null.

FlatlandSK

I had never thought of that...makes sense for companies that have to build to a regulation.

tacollie

Glamper
Our FWC has 2 emergency popout windows. I think all campers are required to have at least one.

Have you ever gotten in a pop up camper with a tail gate on? I have and I didn't like it. The doors are to short. I thought it was awkward.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I had never thought of that...makes sense for companies that have to build to a regulation.

I'm pretty sure that's not the reason they won't fit with the tailgate on. My guess is that the real reason is because most customers don't want to have to drop a tailgate just in order to get into the camper. I know I wouldn't, and I'm a guy who likes tailgates.

Think about it, if you had to drop a tailgate and THEN step up onto the tailgate in order to get into the camper that would be awkward for almost anybody and even a stock 4x4 would have a high enough tailgate that you'd need a step just to step up onto the tailgate.

By contrast, eliminating the tailgate and making the back of the camper flush with the rear bumper means you can have a step that folds out underneath the camper door (like most trailers do) that a person could just step onto and then into the camper.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
I guess Im in the minority in this situation. I loved it for the extra security in the camper and still having a tailgate to use as a table, seat etc. Did it this way on two different trucks and 3 different campers. If I could have it this way on my Blazer I would.

46003813821_6190048608_b.jpg

32133105378_d3330541b1_b.jpg

20391097390_00e30ec720_b.jpg

20579075305_ff2db28723_b.jpg

28241246715_95b5c01c1d_b.jpg

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
I agree that a tailgate would make a nice "porch". The only camper/topper I've had that left the tail gate on was one with just a half door that opens above the tail gate.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

A 1600# slide in will quickly become 2000# at least. A 1200# camper would be more like it. I never cared for retaining the tailgate. You come up to the tailgate and have to really bend over to get into the door vs. having ladder steps or even the step stool where you step up into the door entrance. Portable tables these days don't take up much room.

FlatlandSK

Interesting the beds are slightly different on those Chevys. On my taco the piece of the header is actually replaceable so it could simply be removed entirely. Maybe you arent so lucky ha.View attachment 600602
1595630072749.png
I am not so lucky, below is the style of bed mine is. The header of the bed by the cab is fairly pronounced, and I believe adds structural support for the bed sides. I believe if I tried to modify that too much I would weaken the bed sides and make it prone to collapsing or bending too easily.
1595629768734.png

The reason I would like to retain the tailgate is probably obvious in this picture too, that tailgate turns into a remarkably functional step/staircase aside from the benefit of the cameras. I currently have an aluminum roll-up tonneau cover on with crossbars, those steps make it really nice to load bikes and gear on/off the racks as is and I would imagine be very beneficial for a camper door access too.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

FlatlandSK

Our FWC has 2 emergency popout windows. I think all campers are required to have at least one.

Have you ever gotten in a pop up camper with a tail gate on? I have and I didn't like it. The doors are to short. I thought it was awkward.

Can't say I ever have. And I could see that as an issue with a regular tailgate with as deep as it would be.

A 1600# slide in will quickly become 2000# at least. A 1200# camper would be more like it. I never cared for retaining the tailgate. You come up to the tailgate and have to really bend over to get into the door vs. having ladder steps or even the step stool where you step up into the door entrance. Portable tables these days don't take up much room.

I agree, my aim is for 1600# fully loaded, and 1200# empty weight of the slide-in. One of the main reason I would like to retain the tailgate is because it turns into steps, in addition to being a convenient seat to change boots etc.
1595630463455.png

tacollie

Glamper
Can't say I ever have. And I could see that as an issue with a regular tailgate with as deep as it would be.

I agree, my aim is for 1600# fully loaded, and 1200# empty weight of the slide-in. One of the main reason I would like to retain the tailgate is because it turns into steps, in addition to being a convenient seat to change boots etc.
View attachment 600697
That is a sweet step! I would find a way to make that work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior