Slide In / Out Cabinetry and Storage

SixLug

Explorer
I am going to be converting my ARE contractor cap to a pop top similar to an OVRLND type setup. Built in storage / sink / cabinetry etc would be great, but has anyone ever done this in a removable slide in / slide out type setup? Basically a floor and sides that go over the wheel wells that incorporates all of this? A search did not reveal much. My end goal is to not permanently lose the bed of the truck when the camping setup is not in use.

brokenhorn

Of my truck bed? It’s empty. Not much to see...ha
Just the interior of your truck cap.

My fwc is a shell and I am starting to build the interior. Just trying to picture what you are starting with.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Amp34

I'm planning/doing something similar to this right now. I have a 6 1/2ft box and will have a a GFC camper on top and I'm building a modular system that I can take in and out in depending on what I'm doing.

To do that I'm building three boxes. One taller one will be the cabinet for sink/cooler etc, and the other two will become an "L" with seating/storage. These will sit individually on top of two pieces of ply, cut to fit the bed. To tie it all together I'm going to have bolts coming up through the ply and attaching each individual box. The two pieces of ply will be attached together by the bolts, with two of the boxes straddling the two bits of ply.

With that system I'm hoping all I will need to do is remove about 10 wing nuts and then lift three light boxes out of the bed, followed by two individual 3x5 pieces of ply, which should only take 10 minutes or so.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos as I I've only cut the base ply and am half way through making the boxes right now, largely without dedicated plans. Hopefully the description is relatively easy to follow and gives you an idea or two. A word of warning - I have no idea if this will work properly, but I don't see why it won't.

SixLug

Explorer
I'm planning/doing something similar to this right now. I have a 6 1/2ft box and will have a a GFC camper on top and I'm building a modular system that I can take in and out in depending on what I'm doing.

To do that I'm building three boxes. One taller one will be the cabinet for sink/cooler etc, and the other two will become an "L" with seating/storage. These will sit individually on top of two pieces of ply, cut to fit the bed. To tie it all together I'm going to have bolts coming up through the ply and attaching each individual box. The two pieces of ply will be attached together by the bolts, with two of the boxes straddling the two bits of ply.

With that system I'm hoping all I will need to do is remove about 10 wing nuts and then lift three light boxes out of the bed, followed by two individual 3x5 pieces of ply, which should only take 10 minutes or so.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos as I I've only cut the base ply and am half way through making the boxes right now, largely without dedicated plans. Hopefully the description is relatively easy to follow and gives you an idea or two. A word of warning - I have no idea if this will work properly, but I don't see why it won't.

Make sure you post up some progress and the final results!!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Buddy of mine did something similar.

Campers have 4 jacks that lift from the main frames low on the bed. But then getting all that frame work into the cap is a nightmare. And it eats space because it's weak if not properly braced. But lifting the cap out from it's top, with the walls and frame in tension, takes up way less space.

So instead, He started his frame work with four 4x4 pieces of lumber standing vertically, all the way to the caps roof. Cabinets cover the bottom half of them on the left. Bed on the right, over the right wheelwell. Walls and floor all connected to the 4x4's.

4 eyelets through the top of the cap lid and into those 4x4's. He ratchet straps the cap eyelets to the ceiling of his garage and lifts it right out of the truck. Then sets saw horses under it for storage.

Ark

Sixlug,

Nice looking shell! I bet that will make a great camping setup

Have you looked at some of the "chuck box" designs? What you are describing sounds to me like a chuck box but slightly modified to use while mounted in the truck.

I've installed two strips of aircraft track in my Tacoma between the bed ribs. I used the Mac's Customs track. It barely sticks up above the ribs so I still have the full bed functionality. Right now I just use it for tying gear down and for holding a removable bike rack. Eventually I plan to build a chuck box that will solid mount in my truck bed using a couple of the Mac's Customs m-10 threaded studs. When I'm back at home, undo a couple of nuts, remove the box, pull off the studs and I'm back to a smooth, usable truck bed. I plan to build a whole system similar to a Goosegear Tacoma Habitat setup but divided in several sections so that each piece will be small and light enough to still lift out by hand. If it gets too heavy I can always use a cherry picker to lift each section out.

If you make the kitchen module small enough that you can pull it out by hand, then when you're camping, pull it out, set it up and now you have an outdoor kitchen!

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/m10-threaded-stud/VersaTie-Fittings
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/p...d-edge-series1-versatie-8-foot/VersaTie-Track

SixLug

Explorer
Sixlug,

Nice looking shell! I bet that will make a great camping setup

Have you looked at some of the "chuck box" designs? What you are describing sounds to me like a chuck box but slightly modified to use while mounted in the truck.

I've installed two strips of aircraft track in my Tacoma between the bed ribs. I used the Mac's Customs track. It barely sticks up above the ribs so I still have the full bed functionality. Right now I just use it for tying gear down and for holding a removable bike rack. Eventually I plan to build a chuck box that will solid mount in my truck bed using a couple of the Mac's Customs m-10 threaded studs. When I'm back at home, undo a couple of nuts, remove the box, pull off the studs and I'm back to a smooth, usable truck bed. I plan to build a whole system similar to a Goosegear Tacoma Habitat setup but divided in several sections so that each piece will be small and light enough to still lift out by hand. If it gets too heavy I can always use a cherry picker to lift each section out.

If you make the kitchen module small enough that you can pull it out by hand, then when you're camping, pull it out, set it up and now you have an outdoor kitchen!

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/m10-threaded-stud/VersaTie-Fittings
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/p...d-edge-series1-versatie-8-foot/VersaTie-Track

Thanks man, I thought it was pretty good for $250!

I actually have talked about these chuck boxes with a guy at work. He turned me onto them just this week actually when we were talking about this subject. My only concern is that they look HEAVY, especially when loaded up with kitchen stuff. Even a smaller one. And my bed is pretty tall so getting it in and out might be a pain. I think the idea is great for sure, but weight is my main concern about them.

Thanks for the info on the track and studs...that may be the way to go to secure the floor.

Post pics of your progress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998