Slider material for Tacoma?

Nitetrain04

Hey everyone,
First off I want to say that I appreciate the knowledge and comradery of this site.
My question: I need sliders for my '04 Tacoma X cab. I have access to 2 3/8" galvanized conduit with 1/8" wall thickness. I can get the material and the bends for free. I have a 220 MIG and will do the fabbing myself complete with frame plates and gussets.
Is this material suitable for sliders? The sliders will also be a Hi-Lift jacking point.
Thanks,
Nite

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Don't think that conduit is strong enough. I used 3/16" thick 2"x4" when i made my first set of sliders. Subsequently sold those sliders and made my second set with 2"x6", gave me the added width that i wanted without having to run a nerf.

-Sam

Box Rocket

Depending on how you wheel the truck will determine if it's adequate or not. If you stick mainly to fire roads and you are rarely (or never) touching the rocks with the sliders then yeah the conduit will work, but otherwise I think you'll bend those in short order once they start taking good hits on the rocks.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Probably alright as an accessory to make the truck appear to be ready for off-road travel but not for serious duty. Good point noted above but then you will always have that nagging shortcoming plaguing your build... are they really that strong to take a hit? Plus you mentioned that you want to lift the weight of your truck by those sliders... I'm not certain they would be strong enough. Do it once - do it right.

If it was me, I'd go DOM steel or at a minimum HREW, and not look back.

Attached is an article about safely welding galvanized metal. The zinc used in galvanizing is vaporized from the heat of welding and releases zinc oxide gas and requires some safety precautions to avoid or minimize illness or permanent injury.

http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/articles/WeldingGalvanized.pdf

Nitetrain04

Thanks for the replies. I think I will pass on the conduit. Hard to beat the price though (free). I think I may go the Trail Gear route. I would like to get sliders on the truck before this fall/winter. I also aquired some new parking lot door dings which drives me nuts. Who slams their car door into other's vehicles with enough force to leave a dent?
Anyways, thanks for the help. TangoBlue- that is a great article and answered my questions about welding galvanized steel.
Nite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78