Slider/ Rocker Panel Protection for a 2010 F-250

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I may have to go the custom route, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to this time. I may contact Aluminess to see if what they have can work on the Ford trucks and not just their vans.

crismateski

American Adventurist
I may have to go the custom route, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to this time. I may contact Aluminess to see if what they have can work on the Ford trucks and not just their vans.

They dont have everything on their website, and they will do custom work.

bjm206

Adventurer
I made some rocker guards/steps up for my Excursion using an aftermarket tube step and 3"X3" square tube steel as a starting point. Seam welded everything together with gusseting and so far they have held up to the occasional terrain encounter. This image shows the underside of them.

6956129062_b529fd42a9_c.jpg

Aluminess makes nice stuff and have good support.

NothingClever

Explorer
Anyone have any recommendations for sliders for a 2010 F-250 crew cab short bed?

Jed at www.armorology.com can build you some that will survive the epicenter of a nuclear blast. But consider yourself forewarned - getting in to see Jed is like seeing a top plastic surgeon in Hollywood....high demand, a long wait line and you better dig the nickels out of the couch (really, he's reasonable - his work is stellar).

I'd also check out Rob Bonney (rubebonet here) from Arizona. He's another Stick Wizard with superb welding skills and has a looong history of off-road fab for a variety of applications.

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas.

I'm a bit concerned with going custom, unless the guy is local, or unless the out-of-town guys have access to the same vehicle for mock-ups.

fifty

Adventurer
I have a set of the nfab steps rhino coated. They look cool, mount same as stock, but will also rip off same as stock

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I have a set of the nfab steps rhino coated. They look cool, mount same as stock, but will also rip off same as stock

That's what I was afraid of; plus, I didn't like how the steps hang down a bit. I'd like steps, because even stock this truck is a bit high to climb in to. But, I'd want them up a bit higher or at least level so that they don't get hung up on rocks.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Garsh, I hated the factory steps. Staight into the dumpster they went. The amount of leverage and flex on the body is something to see when I step on one.

The only thing the factory steps did for me was:
-get covered in goo/ice and cause me to slip and fall and shoot vertebra across parking lots. "Could somone bring me back my back please, it's over there."
-get covered in road goo and ruin a perfectly good pair of Bills Khakis
-trip me as I try to step over them

Just learn the handle hop pull up like every other driver. Body mounted steps are big time damage multipliers.

Every frame mounted rocker guard for the Superduties I saw that actually worked was custom hand built. Good luck. I'd love to find a thin box version that followed the bottom of the body, and didn't stick out much like a step deos.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Buliwyf,

I meant a step attached to the sliders like I have now on my Montero, very much like the Demello Tacoma sliders.

In no way, shape, or form did I mean to indicate that I planned to use OEM or similar after market nerf bars or steps for all the reasons you mentioned.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks everyone for the great discussion.

Keep the ideas coming!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I had the same problems, and ended up going the retractable step route. It drops down when the door opens, allowing kids and wifes easy access. While it doesn't protect the rockers, it does get up out of the way and provides much more clearance. Here is a pic of my F-250 with the steps retracted- ignore the PW :) And for reference, both trucks have leveling kits and 37's...

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    408.6 KB · Views: 43

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12