Slo going M416 build

slosurfer

Adventurer
I also bought a couple rafter hangers so that I could hang the propane tank by my table and run my lantern and stove.

IMG_5851.jpg

IMG_5852.jpg

Also, someone asked what the table would hold. Those are 25# bags of grout, I think it would hold more especially when I switch to c-clamps instead of my funky hooks that hang over the edge.

atavuss

Adventurer
when you get ready to retire that propane tank Home Depot has some smaller sized tanks. I bought a small propane tank from the local propane dealer.

atavuss said:
nice writeup! do you actually use the Mermite can? if so, what do you think of it?

So that's what they're called!

I found one at a garage sale last summer and grabbed it for a whole $5 ... it was obviously an insulated food carrier, but I never knew what it was called.

Thanks!

KAA

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
slosurfer said:
Michelin LTX AT LT215/85 R16 Load range D
That was a smoking price for a pair of those. I just but a set of LT 265 75 R16 E on my 3/4 ton suburban and I was $189 a tire mounted at costco.

slosurfer

Adventurer
Yeh, I was pretty stoked with the tires. It was a cash deal, so I'm pretty sure he wrote the tires off as a lost or stolen inventory. I'm sure he would have held on to them for a long time before someone wanted that size again.

pismo62

Adventurer
Nice write-up Chris. I'm considering doing the same thing. I haven't decided between a colapsable camper or the trailer.

Hoosier 45

Adventurer
Hi Chris,
What kind of drop in MPG did you notice while towing the trailer & what kind of weight do you think you are hauling?
Thanks, Martin

slosurfer

Adventurer
Hoosier 45 said:
Hi Chris,
What kind of drop in MPG did you notice while towing the trailer & what kind of weight do you think you are hauling?
Thanks, Martin

On our trip to MN and back I was getting about 12mpg in the mountains and on I-70. Other times in the flats, where I could get up to 80mph and turn overdrive back on, I think the best I got was 19mpg. It honestly wasn't that bad, it is very similar to the gas mileage I get now without regearing and running 33's. I generally get 14mpg on 33's with a mix of town and highway.

As far as weight, I know the trailer empty weighs 600 something (I'll get that correct weight later) so I am guessing that on our trip, we were in the 1,000 lbs overall for the trailer. I really am just guessing, I am going camping in two weeks and I think I am going to have the trailer weighed after I get it loaded. For that trip, I will be towing it with my tacoma for the first time. Should be even easier than with the 4runner, also should make Tioga Pass a little quicker.:)

I'll try to get those correct weights soon.

slosurfer

Adventurer
pismo62 said:
Nice write-up Chris. I'm considering doing the same thing. I haven't decided between a colapsable camper or the trailer.

Thanks, I mainly went this route because I wanted a trailer that could do trails and one that I could beat on. Also, since I use this for work all the time, I can write it off:)

slosurfer

Adventurer
I made a cheap bed mat for my tacoma and I bought enough for the trailer, so I made a el cheapo mat for the trailer. The stuff I used is foam flooring and I found it at Costco, $12 for 32 sq. ft. with plenty of end trim pieces. My dad has been using the same stuff in his shop for awhile now and the stuff is surprisingly durable and very comfy. This will help to protect the bottom of my ice chest, water bottles, etc.. and will help cut down on the noise of stuff bouncing around. One other upside, it is very light! So for $24 I made a mat for my tacoma and trailer and I still have 4 full pieces (16 sq. ft.), some big scrap pieces, and many trim pieces left. I just used a utility knife with a new blade to cut the stuff. The tacoma mat is not going to be permanent, since I plan on getting the nice toyota rubber mat at some point.

The product and my helper:
IMG_5998.jpg

Trailer mat:
IMG_6009.jpg

Taco mat:
IMG_5997.jpg

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Hum, I'm thinking that might work better than a desk chair carpet mat for the rear of the Sub. Was that a mega home store purchase?

slosurfer

Adventurer
ntsqd said:
Hum, I'm thinking that might work better than a desk chair carpet mat for the rear of the Sub. Was that a mega home store purchase?

Yep, I got it at Costco. You may want to call your local one first to make sure they have it, I had to go to a farther one as my local one had just sold out of them.

cyclic

Adventurer
Wal-mart has that same stuff in the exercise section. I guess I'll have to get some more as the wife would kill me if I removed our new work-out mat from the newly remodeled exercise room.

I'll probably line the aluminum tool box with it also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998