SLO's FWC Hawk Refurb/Build...

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Tons of great ideas ! Nice build!

Thank you! Plenty more on the ole' to-do list! Just need some time. :coffeedrink:

Overland Hadley said:
A photo is always good!

haha Can never have enough of those!

So, the weekend before my trip I never got the chance to post up progress. I was able to install my battery isolator system as well as work on version 4.0 of my bike rack.

First off I have to give credit where credit is due. Thanks evldave for this great thread on how to make a cheap isolated system. I basically followed this thread and here is what I came up with...

My bracket to mount everything in the engine compartment shown here ready to weld up. Fuses on each side of the solenoid are stored here directly by the battery that runs all my auxilerery systems for my ole 7.3L. (Drivers Side) Just barely enough room here to fit.
P8050060-1.jpg

Here it is pictured mounted in the truck. Nice coat of gloss black always helps.

P8050069-1.jpg

The 4ga jumper cables or "wire" I should say I ran all the way back to the camper. I bought a 20ft set and it was barely enough.

Next up was yet another version of my swing out bike rack that I have been perfecting over time. Well, I should say trying to perfect. After this first trip and about 50+ miles of dirt road this one needs some tweaking. Link to picts of the last version....

Long story short I originally tried to copy the Northshore racks but for us camping/truck type the lack of a swing-out quickly ruled them out. Not to mention the rediculous price. :sombrero: Hey, Im cheap. haha

Anyways, I wanted to be able to adapt my swingout rack to the Thule 916XTR T2 which, yes are overpriced for the quality but I got a killer deal on it and couldnt pass it up. Plus its not all the time I find myself in the need to carry 4 bikes.

So, here are pictures of my adapting my ole swing out rack to receive the new Thule Rack.

Parts cut and ready to weld. Note, I left myself the option to bolt on the old vertical 4 bake holder I made hence the additional receiver.
P8050063-1.jpg

Welded and gussested up....

P8050064-1.jpg

Bolted a reciever to the new swing out arm and mounted the Thule Rack.

P8050067-1.jpg

And it folds out. Clearence for bikes work, etc..... Just needs more work after getting HAMMERED on this past trip. Mainly, it wiggles around to much for my liking. Its not going anywhere, but I like to see my bikes on a solid platform. We'll see what I come up with.

P8050065-1.jpg

So that brings us to this weekend in which I only had a few hours but I was able to give a good washing to the camper. I used the 303 cleaner and waterproofer to add some life to the canvas and I must say that stuff works great! Note, the waterproof-er is a separate bottle. Really brought the canvas back to life and would recommend it to anyone.

All cleaned up.
2012-09-16_16-34-19_444.jpg

No time to retire. Cheers.... :victory:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
So all that has been happening lately is WORK! Yuck! haha I was able to sneak a bit of time in on the camper this weekend! YES! :wings:

Im excited to say I have an Engel SB70 on the way. I'm done with that ole Dometic RM 2193. 2nd one of those models and it is seriously a pain. So, what comes with a new all electric fridge.... SOLAR PANEL! I was going for the standard 100W panel on solar blvd, but when I called they had just sold out the day before. Not wanted to hold up my project due to upcoming Utah Mountainbiking, I went with the "go big or go home" and picked up the next size. 140 Watt Panel!! I would recommend solar blvd to anyone. I called my order in. They made sure I had what I wanted. Talked about charge controllers which I wanted cheap, etc. Panel and fittings were there 2 days later!

Getting the legs mounted and wiring ready.
P9230353_zps3acfe5ff.jpg

Mounted! I have to admit, I am not a big fan of the wires showing on the roof, but due to my pull out bed, and issues that will arise if I run the wire from the front, I decided to drop it down the back and run the wire behind the cabinet work. More to come on that next week.
P9230359_zps868eea02.jpg

I also had some time to pull scrap wood laying around my shop together for a little cabinet like a lot of FWC's have. Gotta love adding storage!

Big kid LEGO'S! HAHA
P9220350_zpsaa2ea97d.jpg

P9220351_zps97761f93.jpg

Mounted up! Note, I just screwed it to the double layer of plywood infilling the aluminum frame in the wall.
P9230354_zpsa01c1ba4.jpg

Top down. Looking good. Doors will be mounted next weekend.
P9230357_zps038487e5.jpg

Next weekend time for A LOT of wiring! Oh Boy! :elkgrin:

Last edited:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Well, work has got me behind on just about everything in my personal life. I thought I would try and post a few pictures. Unfortunately I didnt take any pictures the last afternoon I was working on the camper so I can't update ya'll on too much progress. BUMMER! The new cabinet is done and looks great. Got the new fuse panel installed, solar wiring ran, wiring for the new fridge ran, etc. Picts of all that coming next weekend.

SO, Here is where I stand kinda right now. WOW! Talk about a big change!
P9290360_zps9f187bad.jpg

Yup, that's right, I gutted her again. I pretty much re-ran all the wiring, cleaned it up, etc. The fridge needed to go directly to the battery. So, its got its own 12ga going back there. Next the solar panel obviously needs to go all the way to the battery as well so 10ga for that.

Table full of fun stuff that ole amazon got me. Up, my NEW ENGEL Frdige there as well! So excited about that!
P9280356_zpsa0e54004.jpg

More picts of the new fridge.
P9280358_zps25041211.jpg

P9280357_zps63943ec9.jpg

So, here is my layout so far for all the new goodies. Some of this stuff I have had for a while. 12v USB Charger, Cigarette 12v charger, Sunforce Charge Controller, Watts up meter, and Hunter digital thermostat. More updates on that soon. Still trying to figure out exactly how I want to mount it all and how I want it to look.

P9290359_zps337ca1c1.jpg

And finally something that I am REALLY excited about funny enough..... Being a structural engineer, I am lucky enough to get to know many contractors. One was nice enough to cut me new counter tops out of some left-overs he had. So there they are, ready to install in the camper. Just have to cut out the holes for the sink and water pump. I think I am not going to put the stove back in. I am going to have a hookup inside to my Colman camp stove. I am also extending the counter top all the way to the front and adding one more little spot for storage.

2012-10-01_18-43-51_610_zps08513da1.jpg

I wont get any time this weekend to work on the old Hawk, but am going to do a marathon 3 day weekend the following to get her up and running for Utah.
Cheers,
Paul

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Very cool. So what made you choose the engle over the truckfridge?

Does the engle need any more venting other than the front/top vent? I see that the cooling fins are on the side/rear so I am curious.

I have a shell model and am planning some upgrades and really want to add a built in fridge vs. my chest waeco.

Looking forward to the install.

Jack

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Very cool. So what made you choose the engle over the truckfridge?

Does the engle need any more venting other than the front/top vent? I see that the cooling fins are on the side/rear so I am curious.

I have a shell model and am planning some upgrades and really want to add a built in fridge vs. my chest waeco.

Looking forward to the install.

Jack

Thanks Jack. I went with Engle because I was able to get it cheaper through a dealer on WTW. No, rear vents are not required. It sits up about 3/4" and has a built in upper and lower vent. There is a little fan that turns on when the temp in the space gets to be higher than 90 degrees. I could take a picture of the manual diagram if you want.

It would probably work pretty good in your shell model. Especially because you wouldn't have to cut a hole in your camper and vent it! :wings:

Also, for those of you wondering about the install. I only had to widen the opening about 1/2". Basically just take one of the trimmer pieces off. The stock opening height worked fine.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thanks Jack. I went with Engle because I was able to get it cheaper through a dealer on WTW. No, rear vents are not required. It sits up about 3/4" and has a built in upper and lower vent. There is a little fan that turns on when the temp in the space gets to be higher than 90 degrees. I could take a picture of the manual diagram if you want.

It would probably work pretty good in your shell model. Especially because you wouldn't have to cut a hole in your camper and vent it! :wings:

Also, for those of you wondering about the install. I only had to widen the opening about 1/2". Basically just take one of the trimmer pieces off. The stock opening height worked fine.

Excellent, now you have given me another choice and it looks like a good one. I like the "no cutting a hole" in the camper part.

The picture would be great if you don't mind.

Jack

craig333

Expedition Leader
Hole cutting is not as bad as you think. I had my camper over at ATC. I was just going to get the vent but before I know it Marty is cutting the hole for me. Easy with the right tools. Now that I've seen it done I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Excellent, now you have given me another choice and it looks like a good one. I like the "no cutting a hole" in the camper part.

The picture would be great if you don't mind.

Jack

Ill take a picture of the diagram in the manual and get it posted soon.

Hole cutting is not as bad as you think. I had my camper over at ATC. I was just going to get the vent but before I know it Marty is cutting the hole for me. Easy with the right tools. Now that I've seen it done I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

Yea, I agree. Its not too bad and FWC has the openings already framed in the aluminum structure. You just have to cut through the exterior and interior siding. Still though, if you don't have to its pretty nice.

I just came across this one on Craigslist...http://yubasutter.craigslist.org/rvs/3292193483.html

It appears to be in much worse condition than yours came in. is it possible to replace the fabric on these guys and how much does it cost?

Yes, replacing the fabric is possible, but not cheap. I think FWC and ATC campers both run around $1000 to replace the fabric. Get in touch with Stan at FWC or Marty at ATC for a better idea. That camper looks like a project. If you are up for it you could probably make it work with some patching of the canvas. Just depends on what you want. :ylsmoke:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Well, I was lucky enough to get about a 1/2 day off Friday and made good progress on Saturday. It's coming back together. Lots new wiring! The new fridge looks and works great! It was 38* in no time after turning it on. I'm interested to see if I hear the sound of the compressor once everything is back together.

It was a mess in the camper!
PA130352_zps0128965f.jpg

Everything hooked up and running! Just barely fits in there! I decided last minute to go with a morning sunsaver charge controller. Glad I did, the other one was cheap! I ran a 2nd propane line and valve which will give me gas to a portable camping stove. Looks pretty bad with all those fittings, but Im sure it will get the job done.
PA130356_zps3e4b5e57.jpg

Fridge back in and the upper countertop too. Its starting to look good.
PA130357_zpse0a3e7dc.jpg

PA130358_zps44b47d51.jpg

The upper drawer fits perfectly!
PA130361_zps19d425a2.jpg

PA130362_zps5d13f5d2.jpg

The cabinet doors now on. I think it turned out pretty good.

PA130360_zps9c335287.jpg

PA130359_zpsa48f9d4c.jpg

I hope to have it all back together tomorrow!! :wings:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Well the marathon weekend is over. It was fun, but tiring. Glad to have this camper project wrapped up for the most part. From here on out it will be lots of trips and little things. YEEHAA!! :wings:

I started out filling in the space between the counter and the back wall. Infilled the window and had some old scraps from the original camper to make it finish out nicely.... Turned out pretty good. I just need to get some matching hinges and handle for the storage door.

1PA140352_zpsd564565c.jpg

2PA140353_zps1f8d724b.jpg

3PA150372_zps4ff80f9f.jpg

4PA150373_zps066e0a88.jpg

I will store the cutting board & stove right in that little spot.

5PA150377_zpsacf43fb1.jpg

Dual Batteries now all wired up. I rewired the main camper power so it does not go outside anymore. I didnt like seeing the wires hanging out. :) 10ga Main Power to Fuse Box, 10ga to Solar, 10Ga to fridge.... Looking good!
55PA150388_zpscb022282.jpg

Main, Fridge, and Solar all go up to the cabinet through the two storage areas at the front end.
6PA150374_zps8194e139.jpg

7PA150375_zps99354169.jpg

Here is how I hid the wires coming down from the roof/ solar panel. The canvas I got at a local sail making shop. $5 for a roll of scrap that matched. I have canvas for days now! Works great!!
12PA150369_zpsf35ac457.jpg

Shot of all the electronic vitals with the cabinet on.
11PA140356_zpsa997c18b.jpg

New Hunter Digital Thermostat. haha
13PA150378_zps2c7049c0.jpg

USB Charger and standard 12V car charger hooked up with swtiches.
14PA150379_zpsc3d2553d.jpg

Overall shots of the inside all cleaned up and back together. Man I really like the counter tops!

8PA150367_zps869b74b0.jpg

9PA150365_zpsdb2876ee.jpg

Here is my stove hookup line. I was hoping it would have enough pressure stemming the line of the main one, but no dice. Looks like I will have to run another line unregulated and then have the main one regulated. For now though Ill just use my refilled green tanks. That project will have to wait for another day.

10PA150370_zpsea14d3ce.jpg

SLO_F-250

Explorer
A few more Misc things inside.....

My Maglight mounted to the back wall. Very versatile "tool" haha

19PA150381_zps031fb91a.jpg

Few hooks on the lift panel. They come in handy!

18PA150382_zpsa3b77f77.jpg

Storage space under the cabinet nice and organized. I built the back shelves for the plastic plates, cup holder, and the tea pot is now hanging. MUCH less clanking around now.

15PA150386_zps280c4a84.jpg

16PA150387_zps251643d1.jpg

The new fridge. VERY NICE! It works great!

17PA150383_zps5ab92a70.jpg

I also added the locking water fill thing on the exterior. I hated the other one. Leaked all over the exterior when filling it up. Terrible design.

20PA150361_zpsaf80cc37.jpg

And Lastly I got some time to mess with the truck a bit. I added a tailgate lip protector a buddy gave me off his new Chevy. Found some tail light grills on craigslist. Ya ya, Im not really that into the bolt on stuff but got them for nothing so figured I would throw them on for now. I also sprayed the rear bumper with the rustoleum bed liner rattle can style to match the front. Looks good, Sanded/scuffed the chrome all up. 2 Coats of etching primer, sanded again, and then 2 coats of the liner. Holds up pretty well.

21PA150363_zps27e7c5fa.jpg

While the paint coats were drying I was also fabbing up an additional light bar for the bumper. Finally got the lights sitting in my garage on the truck again!

22PA150360_zps8b5c78d5.jpg

23PA150358_zps215a7c93.jpg

WHEW! Lots of work. Now I'm 11 days out till departure for UTAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to get the rig DIRTY!!!! :bike_rider:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Agreed^^

Looking good, can't wait to use some of your ideas when I get started on outfitting my shell.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78