Slow Road from Az to N Id, indirectly…

toddz69

Explorer
Thanks for all the great photos! Our family traveled through a lot of this area on a family vacation in the early '80s and I remember my head being on a swivel looking at all the cool old trucks and 4WDs in those small towns/farms (similar experience in southwestern CO about 40 years ago too) in addition to all the spectacular scenery. Keep 'em coming.

Todd Z.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Entrance to Twin Falls Idaho. Thrill seeking adventurous dare devils stage at the nearby visitor’s center here to base jump into this canyon or take off on hang gliders. The updraft winds are almost a constant and perfect for these sports.

The “Little Niagara” of the west is just around the corner at Shoshone Falls

IMG_6709.jpeg

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Shoshone Falls

Unfortunately only had time for a quick drive by and look out the window as we still have @ 250 miles to cover today so, just a stock photo. Still, this is an amazing sight. And to the north of here? The magnificent Sawtooth Mountains!

IMG_6734.jpeg
(c) travelawaits.com

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Todd, thanks for your kind words. We were bummed to be in such a hurry yesterday and be stymied by really dark skies and heavy rain when we drove thru a 4 block long town that had a lot at the south end with a rusting, fading yellow painted classic old fire engine parked on it. Every trip of ours seems to create its own theme as it develops…this theme so far is, “no honey, sorry but we don’t have time to stop!”

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
This definitely isn’t something I’m looking to do, but if you’re a BASE jumping junky wanna be, here ya go (from a local outfitter’s website):

“Leap From Idaho’s 486-Foot-Tall Perrine Bridge Into The Canyon Below With Tandem BASE​

Spanning the awe-inspiring Snake River Canyon, the Perrine Bridge is one of Idaho’s most iconic landmarks. In addition to its long history and jaw-dropping location, the bridge is considered an extremely popular BASE jumping destination. In fact, it’s the only man-made structure in the country where BASE jumping is allowed year-round without a permit. Learning to BASE jump takes years of experience, but thanks to Tandem BASE anybody can take part in this adrenaline-pumping activity. If you’ve ever aspired to scratch this exciting item off your bucket list, then definitely check this out!”

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
While I’m flogging the great outdoors tourism opportunities there are here…

Also nearby Twin Falls:

HAGERMAN FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT​

“More than 3.5-million years ago, this section of southern Idaho was on a floodplain of a giant lake. Lush grasslands and forests attracted camels, llamas, mastodons, zebra-like horses, and a variety of birds. Their fossils were not discovered until 1928, on the steep bluffs on the west bank of the Snake River, now Lower Salmon Falls Reservoir.”

IMG_6738.jpeg

(No honey, sorry, we don’t have time to stop here today ?)

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
We went into the old logging town for dinner tonight and afterwards took a long rambling walking tour of the historic downtown in the lingering twilight, admiring the many restored two and three story commercial buildings built with simple but elegant design in the late 1800’s. Wandering down several alleys I noted that many of the old structures had these strange short, sturdy iron doors built into the rear wall, placed about 2-2 1/2’ above the uneven cobbled ground.

IMG_6784.jpeg

The stout doors were anywhere from maybe 24-48” wide and 48-60” high. The purpose of these was a mystery to me. They were too high up off the ground to be entry doors. What’s your guess?

My best shot in the dark guess is that these were for coal chutes, allowing the horse drawn freighters to go behind stores and offices and easily load coal directly from the high wagons into the building’s basements.

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
The Oregon Trail

(fair warning…the incredibly inspirational history of these vast western landscapes, and my own personal story, will likely encourage me to digress from current travel news from time to time, to share some philosophical or historical observations. You may want to fast forward then)

Towards the end of yesterday we drove along part of the old Oregon Trail, a 2,200 mile east–west, wagon trail that connected the Missouri River to valleys in Western Oregon in the 1840’s and beyond.

Here in the dry, brown grass hills east of Baker City is sits the National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, a must stop for anyone heading through this area.

IMG_6789.jpeg

Ruts from large wheeled, overloaded emigrant wagons that passed by almost 200 years old are still visible in places here today.

IMG_6787.jpeg

(I’ve developed some kind of neurological issue my doc thinks might be a precursor to Parkinson’s. Some times my hands shake a bit making it harder to take clear pictures. I may resort to using a stock photo then and will note that with an *)

I marvel at and celebrate the unbelievable grit and cooperative effort shown by those determined pilgrims in the face of the unrelenting deprivations they endured to get across uncaring hostile lands, to make new and better lives for their children.

The mining, ranching, farming and logging and general commerce they engaged in helped make our still young country strong and wealthy. And less than 100 years later, their offspring helped save the world by building innumerable merchant ships and naval vessels and war planes (working 24 hr shifts in shipyards and aluminum smelters and huge Boeing plants).

They were our betters in many respects.

Sadly today attempts continue to try to muffle their history and diminish the importance of their contributions, by labeling them genocidal oppressors. I get that our past often might be painfully complicated and murky and messy or even terribly violent and don’t wish to belittle or ignore that. But the full story of the people whose efforts helped successfully build this country is so much more than that. Traveling this country, and meeting with and talking to others and learning their history, seems to help one better understand and appreciate this.

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Wallowa Lake State Park

How can you pass through NE Oregon and skip seeing one of the Crown Jewels of the northwest? Well, you can’t and you shouldn’t ignore Wallowa Lake, the Wallowa Mountains and the great state park there! Two fun facts about this area we’ve detoured to:

1. They have a landlocked salmon is in the lake, Kokanee, that turn bright orange and spawn each fall in the streams that feed these deep cold waters.
IMG_0831.jpeg
IMG_6802.jpeg
My better half, on our hike along one of the spawning channels

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
You can actually set up your camp on one of the many reservable floating platforms right out in the lake! How cool is that? Actually, very cool on a real hot sunny day when you can just jump off the float into the water to cool off every time you feel a bit overheated.

(Not sure how you handle the going to the bathroom issue though, but I’m guessing that using the lake is a toilet bowl might come to mind to some of the campers!)IMG_6814.jpegIMG_6804.jpeg

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Another fun thing to do to explore the backcountry here…you can rent a hand pump activated rail flatbed and travel on an old abandoned railroad route here! How cool is that?

IMG_6805.jpegIMG_6806.png

The old two man hand pump flat cars looked like this ⬇️
IMG_6807.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan