Slumberjack Overland Tunnel Tents

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
I'm researching a new tent to use in my future travels and came across this at Cabelas. Looks like it is a new release but wanted to get yall's thoughts on it. Shoot, someone here might already own it!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/slum...nation=/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2237429
675__09304.1450891239.1280.1280.jpg

FYI - I don't want a RTT (yet)! My prior experiences are largely with primitive camping and backpacking but life goes on and vehicle supported travel is now the name of the game. I need something fairly large as it will house 2 adults, a dog, and a child. In the future the plan is a RTT trailer for the wife and I and kids/dog in the ground tent.

I have been looking at the Oz-Tent and the Kodiak Canvas 10x10 and had essentially settled on the Kodiak. The Oz-Tent's packed size is fine for my rig but could not be used on our other vehicles as it is required to be stored on the roof. I like the Kodiak but I'm not sure if canvas would be too hot here in NC. I need a good 3-season tent that will hold up for a good number of years, is packable, is fairly quick to setup and take-down, and is tall enough to stand up in (more for the wife than me).

Is this worth considering or am I just attracted to it because it says overland?

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have owned many Slumberjack products over the years and have found that a lot of their newer stuff is not made as well as their older ones. For example, I have 2 of their older bags and one newer one, the older bags have been through numerous washing machine cycles without issue and the newer one came apart at a few seams after the first wash. And this wasn't one of their cheaper bags, it was a Merino wool lined bag that was around $160. I also had one of their bivy tents that started having issues after 2 trips to Moab. And as for canvas itself, it's actually cooler than nylon in the summer, google tells you this http://www.bing.com/search?q=canvas...=-1&sk=&cvid=A4C9DF2DD2B748B0B952B07BE421C145

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
I have owned many Slumberjack products over the years and have found that a lot of their newer stuff is not made as well as their older ones. For example, I have 2 of their older bags and one newer one, the older bags have been through numerous washing machine cycles without issue and the newer one came apart at a few seams after the first wash. And this wasn't one of their cheaper bags, it was a Merino wool lined bag that was around $160. I also had one of their bivy tents that started having issues after 2 trips to Moab. And as for canvas itself, it's actually cooler than nylon in the summer, google tells you this http://www.bing.com/search?q=canvas...=-1&sk=&cvid=A4C9DF2DD2B748B0B952B07BE421C145

Thanks - good to know.

Also, you used bing not google :ylsmoke:

My only experience with canvas tents were the heavy wall tents at Boy Scout summer camp. My problem is they were always so damn hot (even with both F&R doors open) that I ended up just sleeping in my hammock every year. Just wanted to make sure something like the Kodiak wouldn't leave me sweating like they did.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks - good to know.

Also, you used bing not google :ylsmoke:

My only experience with canvas tents were the heavy wall tents at Boy Scout summer camp. My problem is they were always so damn hot (even with both F&R doors open) that I ended up just sleeping in my hammock every year. Just wanted to make sure something like the Kodiak wouldn't leave me sweating like they did.

Dang work computers, they updated a few things and it reset my defaults. Modern canvas tents breathe far better than the vintage coated canvas you experienced, we have several canvas Springbar tents that work very well.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Dang work computers, they updated a few things and it reset my defaults. Modern canvas tents breathe far better than the vintage coated canvas you experienced, we have several canvas Springbar tents that work very well.

I saw Kodiak sells one with big side vents/windows (the VX Deluxe model) Looks like I am back to being sold on Kodiak!

Last edited:

Batt77

The tent search. I saw this one and its very similar to REI kingdom. I was set on a REI because you can trade them in and upgrade at half price, but now im starting to want to go for an OZ tent.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Tunnel tents make great use of space, and are very utilitarian. Just make sure you get one with a fly (not single-wall like that Slumberjack) or you will not enjoy bad weather. For the OP in NC (or anywhere on the East Coast) stay away from canvas! I am quite nostalgic on some things (like my 51yo Land Rover), but modern tent material are modern for a reason - they simply work better - especially for East Coast rain and high humidity. You need ventilation and tent material that will not hold multiple times its own weight in rain water.

Compare and contrast the OZ-tent and REI Kingdom packed sizes.

Kingdom 8
Packed = 26 x 10 x 21 inches
Floor = 100 in. x 150 in. / 12.5 ft. x 8.3 ft.
Weight = 22lbs.

RV-4
Packed = 78 x 6 x 14 inches
Floor = 94.5 in. x 94.5 in. / 7.8 ft. x 7.8 ft.
Weight = 50 lbs.

Last edited:

afbond03

Adventurer
I've been going all over with what tent to buy next as my experience with a RTT and small children just didn't work out that great so I am going to stick with a ground tent for a few years. I've been looking at this tent myself. I was sold on an OzTent RV-5 or Kodiak but in reality I don't want to drop that kind of coin right now nor do I want to lug a tent that heavy around anymore. This slumberjack does have me worried because I see nothing about a rain fly and I just don't see it holding up that great in inclement weather. Hoping someone that has checked these out might chime in still though.

SnoViking

Adventurer
When I was shopping for a ground tent last year I considered those tents. I ended up going with an REI Kingdom tent. https://www.rei.com/product/829184/rei-kingdom-4-tent It seemed a bit better quality (in the small detail stuff) and came with the 100% unconditional guarantee from REI. The REI kingdom is awesome. We've spent a good amount of nights in it and its been great in heavy rain. Plus, half it is open mesh so it breaths very very well in the summer.

swduncan

Observer
Happy with the Kingdom 6, but adding the tech garage was what made it much, much better. I haven't had it out in high wind, but rain is no problem. With the tech garage there's plenty of room to kick off boots and shed wet gear.

The fly is configurable in many ways so the tent can be left open until the fly is needed. It also makes venting much easier.

If it's got a weakness its that the framing is minimal. This is probably not a good tent for sustained strong winds or snow loads. But it's not really sold for that either.

I'd buy it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinStick

Explorer
I do not own one, but i can give you a GREAT first hand review of these:--- http://www.cabelas.com/product/camp...l-tents/_/N-1102375/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105517980

We were camping in our 30' toyhauler once, at a NYS Park, when a wicked storm blew in. Branches came down all over (not good if you are in a tent), but before the storm, there were maybe 25 tents up total in the whole place. After the storm, there was only 1. Many were in the tree tops & owners were in their vehicles. Only 1 stood up to the high winds & torrential rain. It was an Alaskan Guide geodesic dome from Cabela's. It was also set up properly too. Many people skip the tie outs & extra guy lines.

A funny related story: When we got married, i was un-employed (so i KNOW she loves me-lol), we went on our honey-moon. We only had enough money to stay in Niagara Falls for 1 night, then loaded up the 1984 Subaru GL wagon (with Lo range-awesome car) & went to the 1000 Islands & camped at the state Park. Only thing I had was 2 Army shelter halves (snapped together makes 1 tent) & a custom made (by me) & grommeted green tarp 10' x 14', & a smaller one I folded & sewed for the floor. We got there at 10:30 pm & someone else was in our campsite. I raised holy heck (as we had reservations & were on our honey moon). By the time we got into our campsite & the other people moved, it was 1:30 am. My wife was not happy. I set up by the lights of the car. It was just like that new Tarzan & Jane Geico commercial LOL. "Why do we have to do all this, blah, blah, blah. So, I set up properly, tarp over tent, extended way out over the entrance, dug rain gutters by both edges & used a second tarp, inside tent, that i folded up & sewed the edges at corners ( so it had 6" sides all the way around), tied it all down, threw the sleeping bags in there & hit the sack. Well, about 5:30 am, all hell broke loose. Wicked, wicked thunder, lightning & wind & torrential rain. Wife woke me up at 10:30 am & said something was in the tent with us. I said "don't panic, we will figure this out". I said (but didn't really want to) "we need to stay still until we make sure it is NOT a snake. After a few seconds she said "do you feel it underneath us ?" I then laughed out loud. It was NOT a snake at all, it was water running underneath us. I sat up & looked & there was water flowing under us & around the whole area. We were dry. I went outside. Water was about 4" up the tires on the car & it was totally surrounded, as was the tent. Luckily, the tent was up a little higher up than the car. I looked around & there was a group of about 25 people gathered, looking & pointing at me. Finally, one guy came over & screamed "DUDE, what kind of tent is that ? You are the ONLY one that survived the night in a tent !!!" He pointed at his $500 North Face yellow expedition tent that was 40' up in the tree's (GREAT tent, was not set up properly & wind took it after everyone bailed & went to their vehicles). So, I told them it is a $28 Army pup tent, with 2 custom made tarps !!! Tarps cost more than the tent. They were in disbelief. I laughed.

So, when tenting, make sure you set it up properly. My wife, of 30 years is still my camping partner, but now refuses to "do tents' anymore.

Last edited:

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Went a different direction.

I was somewhat worried about dealing with the canvas as I seem to attract rain when camping and proper care seemed a little tedious.

Was perusing REI to use my dividend and 20% off and came across a Big Agnes 6 person tent on clearance that also was eligible for an additional 20% off. Ended up with a $500 tent for $300.

I made this decision for a few reasons. Namely, I didn't really want to drop $600+ right now on a tent and I know for fact I am going to want a RTT within a few years. This will more than suffice until then and I trust BA as that is what my backpacking tent is as well.

Comes today. Looking forward to it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears