Small camper storage tote bathtub

I have a small slide in camper that I built and really was trying to come up with a way to wash up. In nice warm weather I have a shower enclosure set up to shower outside in the wonderful sun. But when it is cold outside we needed somewhere warm to wash up. We had been doing the wipes way in the warm camper but there a limit of how clean you can get with wipes. And being newlyweds of @15 years sometimes clean is nice. So I picked up a 50 gallon storage tote that I can fit into the camper and hopefully that a warm bath in the cold months. Has anyone tried this and what was the results? I figure I can store the outdoor camping supplies in it for travel and as a tub when camping. This is a sample of the tote I purchased, I will post pics of it actually in camper later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 515
How are you going to heat 50 gallons in the outback? No offense but as nice as it sounds it seems like a waste. Why not just get one of those Eccotemp L5 or triton on demand hot water showers. If its cold outside you are still showering in hot water and its not as wasteful . If you are carrying that much water just remember 1gallon = 8 lbs x50 =400 lbs for one bath.

The tote is a 50 gallon tote, I don't fill my bathtub at the house to the top and then try to get in, so I figured I would warm a pot of water on my gas cooking stove and mix it with around a gallon of water and sit in the tub and wash that way.

Mr.LouRead

I live in an old 35’ park model with a cast iron tub. I get my water from a nearby natural spring and the intake line and water pump will freeze up solid in the winter months.

Your idea does work fine. I also put a can of shaving cream in the pot and then a bottle of shampoo to get those fluids warm in below zero outside temps. I use a hand mirror to shave and a 20 ounce plastic mug to rinse using less than two gallons of water in the process.

I also have a 42”Lx20”wx17”high tote w/lid in stock and plan to do the same with shower tent during my winter Florida expeditions. The 30”x30” shower tent should be a perfect fit,

My plan was to keep my 40qt cooler that will hold my canned and dry food that does not need refrigeration inside the tub to conserve storage space. Plus two layers of plastic will help keep insects out and cut down on the smells that would attract black bears and raccoons.

Last edited:

highdesertranger

Adventurer
you can fit in a fifty gallon tote with enough water to take a bath? if I got in one of those there would be like 2 gallons of water left lol. highdesertranger

southpier

Expedition Leader
will the tote distort with either you or just the weight of the water? and how will you maneuver it to empty?

Mr.LouRead

My bathtub at home is 50”lx21w”x11”h.

If one end up against the wall to lean against that should help keep its shape and the solar shower (2.5 gal) will be hung above.

2.5 gals is just 20 pounds and could be recycled for use in porta potty with just a funnel.

Do I have to take some nekid selfies to make my point?

image.jpg
Just to make it clear. I will not be filling the tote with 50 gallons of water. Probably more like 2 gallons that I will mainly rinse soap off kind of like a shower. The tote will mainly just be a place to catch the water. And the lid looks like it will make a pretty good little drying off area so the water doesn't get all over the camper. And I figure it should be light enough to still carry to proper disposal area. If not my pump system can be used to pump the water out. And just for reference I am 5'10" and around 200 lbs. and I have pretty good room in the tub.

bicyclist

Observer
I think it would work just fine. You could also rig a shower curtain from the ceiling, maybe suspended from a hula hoop, and drape the curtain into the tote to catch the water. Use the same rig you use in your outdoor shower enclosure and store everything in the tote.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Similar but a little different is the setup NorthernExplorer made up for showering in his camper in the cold. Linkaroonie

I figure I'll do the same if we start camping for longer in the cold, but most of our cold camping is just weekends, so it hasn't been much of an issue. Still, I'd rather take a quick hot shower than a warm damp bath... Something about sitting in my own filth... :)

Do what works for you!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78