Small diameter horizontal propane tanks?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
So I've started thinking about mounting a propane tank again. Lots of reasons, including being able to hard mount a Propex furnace, but here's the wrinkle: It looks like Manchester Tank is no longer making the smallest diameter horizontal tanks? (Or at least they've stopped listing it on their site: http://www.mantank.com/products/rvproducts.htm)

Previously, I have seen a tank that was 6" or 8" diameter. It looked a lot like the VW-replacement tank that a couple of places sell, except that instead of the VW-specific transverse mounting straps across the top, it had the more generic multi-hole mounting brackets on the ends of the tank. (The stuff that looks like unistrut)

I can't seem to find these tanks for sale anymore. I didn't buy one the last time I was looking because they were inexplicably twice as expensive as the GoWesty/BusDepot VW tanks, but I've come to the conclusion that (safely) making a VW tank fit my non-VW van would be tricky at best. I'm wondering if those VW suppliers can even still get those tanks, since my thinking at the time was that they were the same tanks with different brackets welded on.

Anybody have a source for a small diameter tank suitable for mounting under vans?

At this point, I think my only options are either to revisit modifying the VW mounting bracket issue to put one under my van (assuming they're still available), or to plumb up the system exclusively for an "extended stay" kit and run it with a portable tank.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Another thought: Maybe for the "portable tank" solution, I could even make a carrying rack to keep a 5lb tank in the same spot under the van I wanted to hard-mount a tank.

I know I'd need to pull it out to use the tank vertically, but it's at the curb-side of the van, right under the sliding door. Its an oddly shaped high-spot that's just the right size to tuck something like that up out of the way and easy to protect, and given that I won't have anything like a bumper-mount for the tank, it's one of my only options to carry a portable short of strapping it into a roof basket anyhow...

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Is it something I could order through AT? If I can get some basic dimensions, I should be able to know about fit well enough to prepay for an order...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998