Small Garage, Big Project

cs0430

Awesome build. I too pretty much want to replicate this with a few tweaks to suit my needs. While you mentioned almost all of the tube sizes you used, I couldn't find what the actual trailer frame was constructed from. Did any engineering go into the sizes you used, or did you just figure a ballpark of what size to use. Again, very nicely done!

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Wow, this is a great build. I hope your enjoying it! You incorporated a lot of design features I wish I would have added. What are the main things you haul in it? Camping gear? That tent must take up a good amount of space but man, it's like a castle.

Anyhow great build up man, you built one of the best homemade trailers out there!

Josh_G

Observer
Great build. Could you tell me where you sourced your multi axis hitch or coupler? Sorry if you already posted.

Tom Foolery

Adventurer
Here are some new pictures of my trailer. I haven't been on the forum in some time. These shots were taken in Lone Pine California.

20140618_091300.jpg

20140616_123312.jpg

20140616_123205.jpg

Last edited:

Dennx

Adventurer
Wow. :drool: What a fantastic build. Congrats on one helluva trailer. Inspiring. I need to learn how to weld.

Ooops

Observer
Access to things in the front

Hi Tom,

I realise I'm awfully late to this thread and I'm hoping that you still look in on it now and again.

I was wondering if you had any issues packing and accessing gear at the front of your main box?
IIRC your box is 1700mm / 5.5ft long that's a fair stretch. I ask because I'm planning my own build based on the same inspiration as yours and I'm going back and forth on whether or not to have a front access door on each side.

Yours is a great build, if mine comes out half as well I will be doing alright.

TIA

Tom Foolery

Adventurer
I've been out tooling around with my trailer this weekend and felt like posting a recent picture of my trailer

20150628_124206c.jpg

Last edited:

RagnarD

Adventurer
A great build and glad you are enjoying the fruits of the labor. Any major things you would do differently if building a new one?

Tom Foolery

Adventurer
Actually I can't say that there is anything I would change, other then having the time to use it. It just sits in my garage begging for a new adventure. This has led me to the decision to sell her. I have it listed in the Expedition Portal Classifieds.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Fantastic build! Congratulations...

I wonder if it could have been fabricated by welding up a frame as you did, but bonding aluminum panels to the frame with 3M super double sided tape. No welding or JB Weld needed. This is the technique I'm going to try on my next trailer build. I now have a TIG welder so the frame will be aluminum also. Not so much for weight as for corrosion resistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12