Small Meat Freezer for Offroad Teardop

likeOwlNotCrow

Hey guys - basically what the post title says. I'm looking for recommendations for a 12v/110 freezer to store several pounds of meat. I have solar, marine batts, propane, and shore power when available. Don't care about refrigeration, I already have that covered. I went the cheap route for a while with a crappy Coleman that never really completely froze anything and was super inefficient - it ended up in a dumpster in some state park campground in KS last summer on the way back from Moab. I don't need an icemaker and don't care if it doubles as a freezer and fridge. Any recommendations in the sub-Dometic price range that you guys have experience with? Size shouldn't be a problem as my slide in the back is big enough for a large cooler plus a few random things, but again it shouldn't need to be too large anyway. Thanks!

john61ct

Adventurer
The good compressor fridges become freezers by just dialing down the thermostat.

Having multiple same units gives lots of flexibility and redundancy when repairs are needed, even if decades later.

Engel is my reco, buy once cry once.

likeOwlNotCrow

The good compressor fridges become freezers by just dialing down the thermostat.

Having multiple same units gives lots of flexibility and redundancy when repairs are needed, even if decades later.

Engel is my reco, buy once cry once.

Thanks I have always heard good things about Egnel. My tear ducts are just about dried out at this point ;) I'm in the US, tax season is upon us. If I come out relatively unscathed this year that one is a great option.

JackW

Explorer
I've owned two Engel Fridges - started with a 35 quart and moved up to a 45 quart (gave the 35 to my sister for her Four Wheel Camper rig). The 35 is over ten years old and still chillin'. I think Engel makes a 17 qt that would be a great freezer.
The other option is a Snowmaster dual compartment freezer that each side can be set separately. I looked very hard at those before I bought another Engel.

likeOwlNotCrow

I've owned two Engel Fridges - started with a 35 quart and moved up to a 45 quart (gave the 35 to my sister for her Four Wheel Camper rig). ankse 35 is over ten years old and still chillin'. I think Engel makes a 17 qt that would be a great freezer.
The other option is a Snowmaster dual compartment freezer that each side can be set separately. I looked very hard at those before I bought another Engel.

Thanks! Another vote for Engel.

Errant

Explorer
I can't vouch for long term reliability, as I've only had it a couple of months, but I have a 35L Aspenora that was only $170 including shipping. So far, it has been working well.

TwinStick

Explorer
There is keeping things frozen and then there is freezing things.

We have 2 ARB Fridge/freezers. They ARE NOT designed to freeze things. They are designed to keep things frozen or keep things cold. They are designed to put cold or frozen things into, not to drop the temperature of items from ambient air to the fridge/freezer temp you set it to.

However, you can easily use them to freeze in a pinch. How you wonder? I bought 4, 4" WMART personal fans. I cut cardboard from an empty cereal boxes, 3" wide strips, cut again to fit around fan, taped 2 on the front of 2, and 2 on the rear of 2. They become fan shrouds, that direct 100% of air into 1 side of fridge and remove 100% of air from the other. You put them directly against the fridge. I was able to freeze to 0°F, 40 lbs of sausage (20 lbs in each 50 qt & 82 qt) from fridge temp, in 2 days. My house is at 70°F. I think that's pretty impressive, considering that they weren't designed to freeze things but just keep things frozen. Also just an FYI: not all fridge/freezers are designed to work at up to 30° off level like the ARB's are, but more are today than when we bought ours in 2014.

Obviously this was NOT done on 12v. Everything was plugged into 120 AC.

Last edited:

likeOwlNotCrow

There is keeping things frozen and then there is freezing things.

We have 2 ARB Fridge/freezers. They ARE NOT designed to freeze things. They are designed to keep things frozen or keep things cold. They are designed to put cold or frozen things into, not to drop the temperature of items from ambient air to the fridge/freezer temp you set it to.

However, you can easily use them to freeze in a pinch. How you wonder? I bought 4, 4" WMART personal fans. I cut cardboard from an empty cereal boxes, 3" wide strips, cut again to fit around fan, taped 2 on the front of 2, and 2 on the rear of 2. They become fan shrouds, that direct 100% of air into 1 side of fridge and remove 100% of air from the other. You put them directly against the fridge. I was able to freeze to 0°F, 40 lbs of sausage (20 lbs in each 50 qt & 82 qt) from fridge temp, in 2 days. My house is at 70°F. I think that's pretty impressive, considering that they weren't designed to freeze things but just keep things frozen. Also just an FYI: not all fridge/freezers are designed to work at up to 30° off level like the ARB's are, but more are today than when we bought ours in 2014.

Obviously this was NOT done on 12v. Everything was plugged into 120 AC.

Love a good MacGuyver-ing!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have a 15 qt Engle that I've used as a freezer as well as my 50qt ARB. Both work great. One thing is, since the unit is being used as a freezer, it is pretty much running all the time so it will run the battery down in a day.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Fwiw,
I bought Alpicool a couple years ago. Its a ’budget friendly’ unit what will easily keep things frozen. Actually when first getting used to it several times ended up with things partially frozen.
I been thinking of buying their smaller model to use as a freezer.
Since it wont be accessed as often as the ’fridge, I probably end up building a supplemental insulated cover for it.

I have a 16qt (?) Alpicool that I bought a few years ago to use as a freezer for camping. So far it works great. It's also good for bringing on shroter trips to use as a fridge. I went on a 3 day trip and used it to carry sandwich makings as well as a bottle of wine or two. It's great for when I don't want to bring the big Dometic, or for when I want to have both a fridge and a freezer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998