small portable air suggestions

moodywizard

Adventurer
I really like my MV50... You can't beat it for the price.

I've had mine for 5 years now and filled my 33's and 35's hundreds of times with it. I replaced the hose after I drove over it and ruined it. I took the head off the unit and re-tapped the intake and output parts for 1/4" NPT as they are some metric odd thread from the factory. This allowed me to change the air filter to a more robust unit and add M-style quick connects to the output side.

I did have the reed valve (not sure if thats the proper term for it) break on mine at one point in its life but it was a very simple fix. I would assume this is the issue most people have with their MV50's... But it's a very quick and cheap fix. I just bought a cheap folding set of leaf style feeler gauges from Princess Auto (our version of harbor freight) and found a gauge the right thickness and screwed it on as a replacement reed valve. It has held up awesome for 3 years since that fix now and I use the pump every other weekend. I do carry a spare feeler gauge in the bag now though as a backup.

Too funny, I had the same thing happen on mine! I did the same as you, cannibalized a feeler gauge to replace it. A little more noisy but still works great. However how did you screw it down without the screw hitting the piston? I used JB weld since it was aluminum and I don't have a TIG welder.

Ironman 4x4

I just used my Ironman 4x4 Flo Max Pro for the first time this weekend and was really impressed with how quiet it was. I was expecting it to be at a similar noise level to all the other 12V cigarette lighter compressors but it was far quieter. I was only topping off the pressure so I can comment on single digit to street psi fill rates but from 35 to 45 psi was less than a minute and these pressures is where most compressors low flow rates start impacting fill times. Most other compressors you'll find dont even flow 5cfm at 0psi :( Yet this guy is rated at 160lpm at 40psi which is about 5cfm. :)

icompressor002.jpg

Ironman 4x4 Compressor

On my 35s (on 15" rim) it usually takes me 3-4 minutes a tyre to fill from 18psi to 40psi.

Cheers,

Matt
Ironman 4x4

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I've had positive experiences with the Viair 300P and the 90P.
Both are very reliable compressors that get plenty of use year round in all weather conditions.
The 90P is a good deal in my opinion. It has a 15% duty cycle at 100psi, so it's not over kill, but gets the job done
(this also means the cost is more affordable). Naturally, the 300P is more expensive, but has a 33% duty cycle at 100psi.

biere

Observer
viair 90p here. No vibration from the air pressure gauge here, but when running it reads a higher pressure than when I shut it off. I have not compared to a real tire gauge yet.

I just got it and took it out to play today.

Stock wires and air hose length allow it to do all 4 tires on a regular cab short bed full size ford. Get a crew cab long bed and you will need some jumper cables. Since I keep jumper cables in the truck that is step one to get a tire on a trailer aired up. But this thing does not draw a ton of power so I could see buying some wire and making up a jumper cable set just for this thing.

It was nice and cool today and all I did was air up some tires on a truck that had been sitting. Between sitting and the cold the tires were all 5 or 6 psi low. It ran for each tire and I shut it off while moving it to the next tire.

It comes with a nice carry bag that has room for the accessories to air up toys and when I buy some spare fuses there is plenty of room in there for those as well. Depending on how big the jumper cables get with the small wire they may or may not fit.

Could also probably extend the air hose on this thing but I was impressed with the end on the air hose for latching onto the tire.

I have a viair onboard setup from a group buy on this board years ago and I wanted to stick with viair.

I have heard good things about a lot of the stuff mentioned.

I was willing to pay 75 bucks or so for the 90p.

This will live in the ford which is a daily driver, trash truck, and that sort of thing. I don't air down the tires in it but I will help others out at work who have low tires and what not.

I already have a fullsize tire plug kit and if possable I plug a tire before putting the spare on the ground. If I can find the hole in the tire it is quicker to plug it than put the spare on it. I carry a spare though.

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
I have an MV 50 that I have had for years as a back up and it works fine. I also have the Ironman4x4 Flow Max pro, it definitely out performs the MV 50.

We actually have free shipping on the Ironman4x4 Flow Max Pro this week.

Jacque

NoToyz

If its exactly for filling the spare/donut you're better off checking it at a gas station before going on your trip. Takes up less space and you'll never leave it behind somewhere or blow a fuse. And it can't stop working because its not there.

Maybe pack a $10 plug kit and then you can plug the original tire at the gas station and put it back on the car to continue on your merry way.

86tuning I already do the preventative air check before trips, the donut is urealiable at best as far as retaining pressure, so the a/c was a backup plan that I thought would be nice to have on board if needed. Do have some slime and plug kit in road bag, but only want to use that as an absolute last ditch effort :wings:

tmandell

I have this Viair.

http://www.viaircorp.com/88P.html

It can be found for about $60 and has worked well for me, I do not however use it for filling 4 tires back up to highway pressure. I simply use it when I need to fill or top up a tire and I am away from my shop compressor. When I tested it out I could fill the rear tire on my truck (245/75 R16) from 0 to 80 psi in about 12 min. Taking into account the duty cycle I should be able to fully fill both rear tires before hitting the thermal shutoff.

SmoothLC

Explorer
I've got one of the Viair units.

I almost chose the MV50, and think it would have met all my needs to date, but ultimately decided that I didn't want to hassle with some of the potential issues others have mentioned.

The tradeoff IMO - at least for me - was reliability/longevity. Sounds like some haven't had any problems with the MV50s, while others have modified them to keep them going.

In the end, purchasing a reliable brand won out.

86tuning

Adventurer
Can you get 80psi out of the MV50?

Tx, Bill

I have a smittybuilt compressor which i believe is a re boxed mv50. It works well. Never tried to get 80psi out of it though. It's quick to get from 10-30psi on a 33x10 tire so good enough for me.

oscarbob

I bought an MV50 off of amazon for myself december of last year. I was aware that I wasn't purchasing the highest quality product but I really thought I would get more than a year out of it.

It died last week filling up a tire on my buddies Honda CRV. I took the tire from flat up to 30 PSI so that he could drive up the road to his house. Right as it was hitting 30 psi there was a terrible sounding metal on metal noise coming from within the pump. It's now unable to produce any usable pressure.

It was used about 8 or 9 times and was stored behind the seat in my tacoma. It was not abused or misused. I did not run it for extended periods of time. I take good care of my belongings.

I'm bummed that it didn't last longer. You get what you pay for I suppose.

ert01

Adventurer
I bought an MV50 off of amazon for myself december of last year. I was aware that I wasn't purchasing the highest quality product but I really thought I would get more than a year out of it.

It died last week filling up a tire on my buddies Honda CRV. I took the tire from flat up to 30 PSI so that he could drive up the road to his house. Right as it was hitting 30 psi there was a terrible sounding metal on metal noise coming from within the pump. It's now unable to produce any usable pressure.

It was used about 8 or 9 times and was stored behind the seat in my tacoma. It was not abused or misused. I did not run it for extended periods of time. I take good care of my belongings.

I'm bummed that it didn't last longer. You get what you pay for I suppose.

Take the head off and check the reed valve. I bet its broken. It's an easy fix and I've had no problems since I've fixed mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger