small water heater - exchager only?

zelatore

Explorer
I'm not usually in this section of the forum so bear with me if this is a foolish question.

I work in the marine world and we commonly have 120 or 240v water heaters that also incorporate a heat exchanger to heat the water from the engine's coolant. That seems common enough in the RV world as well. I'm thinking this winter I may try building a small water tank/heater system into the area that used to hold the spare tire under my Land Rover. Nothing big, maybe 5 to 7 gallons. I'm looking for a water tank that has a heat exchanger loop built in but everything I know of also has electric heating. While I could possibly use something like that (if I could find an off the shelf part that fits my odd shape) it seems a waste to pay for the electric heating element when I won't be using it.

Since you guys are big into building your own systems I thought I'd ask if you had any suggestions for something along these lines, either off the shelf or DIY.

Thanks!

KeepCruzin

Observer
I don't know of any "in the tank" systems. But my system is very effective and straight forward.
I bought a new radiator for my manual toyota FJ60, then plumbed the oil cooler that is part of the radiator to a storage tank where the spare was, then run the water in a loop until its hot.
Very simple, no electoral except the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Hobo

Heat exchangers

Does any one know where l can get some info on how to build a small heat exchanger for shower? Thanx

kalieaire

Observer
you can use external heat exchanger solutions like the Helton. But tbh, considering how much fuel you're consuming vs amount of temp increase for water, it's better to get an Eccotemp.

turbotommy

Observer
I used I heat exchanger from a hydraulic oil cooler it is quite small( not as small as the purchased ones) but it was free.i think there would be lots of industrial machinery that would use coolers like these .this one was from a boat

refried

Adventurer
I have a 6" x 22" heat exchanger (from a boat) that I plan on using for a hot water in my van, It has 1" pipe fittings on all the outlets so it will be easy to plumb and will fit under the sink/stove cabinet along with a heater core and fan for rear heat. I have a small 5 gallon tank for the sink and use a portable 5 gallon container with a larger Flo-Jet pump mounted at the rear doors for an outdoor shower, Right now I'll heat up the water on the stove/fire if I want a hot shower. With the heat exchanger I'll recirculate the water thru it until it gets hot enough. This will probably change by the time I'm done redoing the van, but I haven't found the need for hot water in the van yet so it will most likely stay a simple system with only cold water at the sink.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There are numerous guys who have simply attached a heat exchanger to their exhaust manifold and it heats the water as you drive, pretty simple and idiot proof, you can even add a temp switch for on/off of the recirc pump.

WFOORBUST

Heater

I have one on my jeep that I made that heats water in copper tube as coolant from the radiator passes through the tube. I haven't looked but some guys are using parts from some kind of home brewing heat exchanger? They say you can keep adding plates or stacking plates to get the out put you want?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears