Smaller Laptops

Scott_sFZJ80

Observer
I use to see smaller laptops with an 8" screen or so at Best Buy and Circuit City that were still pretty powerful. Now they seem to mostly push the large screen units so I am having a hard time locating the smaller ones (actually I can't find any). I would like to dedicate this one for my rig to not take up too much space. Has anyone seen any lately?

k6uk

Adventurer
Check out the Fujitsu Lifebook 1510D
See this thread: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2716
Fujitsu_LifeBook_P_Series_P1510D_Tablet_PC.jpg

It's a nice unit!

-Mike

Scott_sFZJ80

Observer
Thanks guys, those two look perfect. Some prliminary searches come up with a price range aound $1500 for the Lifebook which is not bad and bids currently on ebBay at $500 for the Itronix (I'm sure that will shoot up towards the end).
Thanks again.

esh

Explorer
I've been doing "Watch This Item"s on ebay and have been seeing the less-optioned (256-512MB RAM) tablets go for 500-800, and the 1GB RAM models go for 1k-1.5k across 20 different auctions.

This can't be apples to apples and I've seen other options available for them- 4 different possible RF modules, bluetooth, etc. If you didn't want to do anything complicated you'd think just getting the cheaper one and upgrading memory would be a solid way to go.

I am currently using an 8"l tablet that runs a transmeta processor (less heat, less power). Looking at upgrade for two reasons- the touchscreen is very appealing, and something better sealed. After using mine for a couple years I don't recommend an "inside" consumer product in the truck- unless your interior stays very clean?

Scott_sFZJ80

Observer
Thanks again, I will keep an eye out for those as well.

I am also leaning towards a remote location PC and have a wireless keyboard and mouse set up with the screen being my head unit. I just ordered this head unit.

http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=LDNTV65U&LDNTV65U%20Legacy%20double%20din%20indash%20dvd%20receiver

But I don't believe that it will except a PC input. I can always set up another monitor (maybe a flip down from the ceiling) if it doesn't. It does mention a USB slot but that looks to be only for a small card reader. Does anyone know if I could use the RCA Line Input for this purpose?

Scott

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Scott_sFZJ80 said:
Thanks guys, those two look perfect. Some prliminary searches come up with a price range aound $1500 for the Lifebook which is not bad and bids currently on ebBay at $500 for the Itronix (I'm sure that will shoot up towards the end).
Thanks again.

I have been watching the Itronix as well and they go between 400 and 1000 depending on what you want, I wanted to use one instead of a garmin 276c unit.

Aaron

Scott Brady

Founder
I am right in the middle of this too. Having lugged around a 17" laptop for 5 years, I am going very small. More details soon

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
My thoughts on this go for price and function. Scott Im with you on lugging the 17" around and sometimes what a pain that thing is not to mention I drop it out of the truck occasionally. My dad has a Garmin 276c and I love it but the price point is still high hovering around 500-700. I thought with an itronix and a pc garmin system my price point would be similar and I would have the option of a pc for my trips, where I could upload photos, and what not.

Aaron

Scott_sFZJ80

Observer
Ok, first set done. Monitor (head unit) installed... now to see if I can get it accept the display of the old laptop screen.

I have a Fujitsu 1120, and it has been bulletproof. 9.5" screen, and it runs my DeLorme GPS fine. They don't bring much $$ on eBay either because the have 256 megs of ram (max).

Roy

Scott_sFZJ80

Observer
OK, second step done. I was able to get both video and audio feed to the unit. These are not the best pictures (can’t tell if it’s better with flash or not). The cable is routed for now from the laptop to head unit through ashtray. I may change that to behind the unit and down under center console and then up and out. I took one of the Demo photos off of the Ozi Explorer website to show what I am trying to accomplish.

But if you were to ask me if I would recommend this head unit “so far” I would not. So far I am not satisfied with the quality, but what should I expect for only $300. Maybe it’s the s-video output… In addition, I have been having issues with the unit not turning on with the cold weather.

I was trying to make this work so I could put a dedicated smaller laptop (not my big honking one) or just a remote PC in the truck, use the head unit as a monitor and have a wireless keyboard and trackball.

Step three was going to be, purchase the smaller laptop or PC but I have to take the head unit out and send it back to the manufacture to fix the cold weather issue.

Thanks for the smaller laptop options. Scott, congrats on the new purchase. Roy, that looks like a great find as well, love the 9.5” screen.

esh

Explorer
I think you hit the nail on the head. It's hard to judge lcd panel quality until you see it and can compare it with some source material you are familiar with. This is true whether it be home units, digital picture frames, or a monitor like your application.

Have you tried looking for a forum for car pcs, specifically hardware forums where they talk about panels? Maybe the mobile a/v type places might have a larger pool of people talking about these?

another thought, and one strategy with advantages and drawbacks, is positioning. Another spec on panels is their field of view. My tablet isn't bad in this respect, but I still find having it at eye level and pointed at me is optimal for watching my route or looking for POIs along the way. On a trip in October to Christmas Valley I was finding caves along the way that the leader had no idea were in the area. My setup is not good for at speed on roads, and I take it down (have a piece of clear plastic for the back of the mount). This could be done just as well with a lcd panel too.

can't wait until a HUD projection onto the windshield is perfected, though I'm sure it will be all kinds of illegal to use

tabletnavigation.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger