Smart Solenoid for Lithium battery?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have a National Luna Intelligent Solenoid in my Cayenne. I just got a 100AH lithium battery and would like to use the battery on an upcoming trip.

What are the drawbacks, if any to use my existing system ? I normally have a Gp27 AGM battery but reducing weight from 70 lbs to 24 would be nice. Thanks in advance.

I could always bring the battery into the hotel and charge with a charger if need be.

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
Specifications
Rated Capacity : 100Ah

Nominal Voltage: 12.8V

Voltage Range: 14.2-14.6V

Terminal Type: M8

Dimensions (L x W x H): 12.95*6.77*8.42inch

Weight: 23.5lb(lighter weight)

Size: 12V 100Ah-Low Temperature Protection

Maximum Continuous Charging Current: 100A

Maximum Continuous Discharging Current: 100A

Operating Temperature: Charge: 32F to 122F; Discharge: -4F to 140F

matoolie

Hopefully the lithium battery is not in the engine bay as under hood temps will exceed the max recommended temp for lithium. And for charging you will be better going to a DC-to-DC charger that has a charging profile for lithium chemistry. This will be safer and best for the life of the battery.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Hopefully the lithium battery is not in the engine bay as under hood temps will exceed the max recommended temp for lithium. And for charging you will be better going to a DC-to-DC charger that has a charging profile for lithium chemistry. This will be safer and best for the life of the battery.

The battery is in the trunk. I know a DC to DC charger is optimal however that is not what I have right now for this trip.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
There are two potential issues:

— The charging voltage of your vehicle may be a bit high for a lithium battery, but this is probably not a real world issue depending on how long you drive and assuming a decent BMS as a fail safe.

— The connect voltage of the National Luna VSR is probably too low, that is the resting voltage of the lithium battery is probably always higher than the connect voltage, so the National Luna may never disconnect. This may or may not be an issue.

In the long run, you probably want a battery to battery charger.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks for the answers. Looks like I'll be using my AGM battery until I upgrade the system

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior