Smoker - Electric or Charcoal?

p nut

butter
I don't know much about smokers, but recently started looking into them (after a taste of some smoked salmon). I was going to just go with a charcoal unit, as it would be better for use at camps, but to be realistic, I'm not sure if I would ever take it camping. So I thought perhaps electric would be the way to go for less maintenance during smoking and more consistent temps. What do you use and why? Do you also take the smoker camping?

Expedition Leader
What do you use and why?

006.jpg

Wood smoke is the most flavorful, and is easy to maintain a steady temperature over long periods of time (with a large enough fire box).

Do you also take the smoker camping?

No.

slvyj

Observer
I just bought a used Traeger off a friend at work and have fallen in love. Very easy to use. So far I've tried everything; fish, pork ribs, pulled pork, chicken and brisket. Everything was delicious except the brisket and that is because I didn't follow the recipe, end up over cooking it.

Expedition Leader
Hey 1911, got any good smoked trout recepies you'd like to share?

My wife has smoked some salmon fillets that turned out nice, but we've never done any trout. I mostly just do beef brisket and pork shoulders, with the occasional ribs and chicken.

slvyj

Observer
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon pickling spice
1 quart cold water

Mix the above together and submerge the trout in the brine and refrigerate for 2-3 hours but no more. Then smoke for 30-40 minutes. I got this recipe with my Traeger and have used it twice, first time trout was to sweet, so the second time I reduced the brown sugar.

magaw

Magaw
I have a brinkman electric smoker and I love it. The only difference between the electric brinkman and the charcoal unit that they make is the electric model comes with a removable heating element. If you take the element out its a regular charcoal smoker, so you have both. You still have to use wood chunks for your smoke either way because it is a drum style water bowl set up.

Reactions: plh

madmax718

Explorer
I've had a cheaper brinkman charcoal unit that I used for about 8 years before it died. I thought it was great.. until I tried other units. The charcoal was hard to add- the pan was "in place". no draft control. No heat control. No moisture control. Still had some great smoked turkeys, but results and times were inconsistent.

I switched a few years back to a "side box" smoker, by charbroil. It worked pretty well, but being in the north east, wind, rain, winter, fall, all affected the temperature. Got some excellent results, but often ended up with over cooked items.

Last year, I purchased a masterbuilt electric smoker. For years I was shunned by fellow BBQers, but I didn't care; bbq competition rules only apply to competition. And here's why I think they are superior.

1. Try to get an "insulated" smoker. Whether it be charcoal or electric, insulation is key to smooth out any external temperature fluctuation. Even out west, it gets cold at night, so having insulation gets you more consistent results. It also saves you gas (propane), electricity, wood, charcoal. And some of those wood for smoking can get expensive. A super hot fire will burn through it quick.
2. Draft control. If you cant control the air going in, your fire may overun you, making for impossible temperature control. A flue damper control isn't enough (the one on top). it will trap in a lot of the not so good burning flavors. ones which don't have draft control (like my old brinkman) also don't have air tight lids, making for some not so great (and sometimes disastrous) results.

Electrics have a lot of gadgets that are really great for having awesome overnight smokes without a lot of user intervention. In competition, we are not allowed gas or electric as the heat source, so we have fancy devices that track internal temps of the smoker, and the internal temp of the meats. Its all hooked up to mini computer. They do sell an electric draft controller that you can retrofit on your charcoal smokers if you wish, (mostly for side boxes) which will open and pump in air should the temp die down (which it does, as the charcoal gets ashy the heat is insulated in).

My masterbuilt came with an internal meat probe- internal air temp- timer, remote control with remote display, external wood chip feeder, clear door, and insulation. By far the easiest and best way- And also allows you to do cold smoking of cheese and fish. I smoked a few racks of ribs in the winter time- it was 28 degrees. As the wind blew, the temp did change- by 1 degree. Its so consistent, that I can just about set the timer, go back inside the house, go to sleep, and just check the remote from bed after 4-5 hours to see the internal meat temp. If its good, I just hit the off button, and go back to sleep!

I could never do that with any other option!

As for "pellet"- It is more smokey- If you want a good heavy smoking, pellets are the way to go. You have to do more work on the cheaper ones with the chute- it drops the wood pellets onto a little tray that is right over the coils. It burns quickly, even when soaked overnight- I'll get maybe an hour of smoke or less. I've dumped 4 loads, and gotten only 2 hours of smoking. The pellets are truly set it and forget it options.

tclark

What type/brand did you end up with? There are mods and methods to make it much easier to get long steady burns with a charcoal smoker; I built a UDS(ugly drum smoker) and it's nearly as simple to operate as the electric Brinkman ones(had one for years) but you get better flavor.

2scars

Adventurer
Wood, definitely

I started with the Electric Brinkman and my neighbors said "electric smoker?" and it was worth picquing my interest and eventual purchase of a charcoal 22.5" Weber grill that I regularly smoke a whole chicken on for use in lunches instead of buying deli meat. Too much sodium, and smoked chicken is awesome.

A great stepping stone, but a real smoking experience is one where you actually have to regulate your heat, I think.

Brandon

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
I smoke in my Weber Kettle at home, on the road I do stuff like wok smoked salmon, using a mixture of tea leaves and rice as smoking mixture in the bottom of the wok. Line the wok completely with aluminum foil if you don't want to destroy the seasoning.

Eskay

I bought a Wildfire4in1, yet to receive, which is pretty cool. It does everything possible and sits on a Reece hitch.

dbhost

You can do offset smoking on a Weber Kettle BBQ grill. It is all in technique. I pitched the old steel box smokers that keep rusting out.

Ragman

I have a Bradley electric and various charcoal/wood smokers. Electric is easy and convenient if you just want some food smoked once in a while and I think it works nicely for salmon (fish), homemade smoked sausage, and cheese. I prefer the others for traditional bbq cuts (and some won't even fit in the electric) such as brisket, pork shoulder, ribs etc. My son, who has great taste buds, swears that the wood/charcoal most definitely has a better flavor and I agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior