Snorkel E-Series (E-350/7.3 PSD)

FDM2012

Adventurer
Yeah, it's been a while since I have updated anything. Between work, weather, and health, I haven't done a whole lot
with my rig lately.

HOWEVER, I did finally get my snorkel on and mostly completed this past weekend.

Yes, it is functional.
Yes, it has dropped my EGT's a bit. Only driven around town so far....
And yes, my air intake temp at idle has decreased. (About 30 degrees in 90+ degree temps here in Tampa.)
Yes, it still spools up just fine.

I used AirRaid 5'' intake tube to feed the "fabbed" airbox that I got from a wrecking yard. I put one of those fancy red air filters in it..... And 4'' from the airbox to the turbo.

I don't have a clue about water worthiness of the rest of the motor, but I wouldn't be afraid to submerge it for a bit. But I have no intention of ever going in deep water with this damn thing, so no worries there.

Other than just wanting to do it and liking the look, I mainly did this to try and improve the EGT's while at highway speed.

I normally run around 1,050-1,100 degrees at 73 mph, so it doesn't leave a lot of room for increase while on inclines or pulling a trailer.

Either way, I am digging it!

7412497094704252478.jpgIMG_20190921_1721106.jpg

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Good on you for getting it done! It's been on the back of my brain for a couple years as well but as you probably found out it's not as easy as it sounds. You relocated the couple canisters attached to the inner fender by the battery? (forgot what they are called)

I'm pulling my engine out, hopefully this winter to do a bunch of mods (new single shot injectors, fuel bowl delete and a bunch more...) so that would be a great time to follow your step!
Which airbox did you end up using?
How are you handling water ingress (from rain)? The ARB snorkel head have a slot at the back to let the water escape but yours looks home made.

And I'm surprised at your EGT temps. Where they always that high or they increased after some of your mods?

Cheers!
David

FDM2012

Adventurer
Thx David. Yeah, I have had most all of the parts for well over a year, so as I have been feeling froggy lately, I went for it.

I only had to nudge the A/C accumulator a bit and re-bolt it, and relocate the starter relay. I did cut through the accumulator
bracket some, but it still has full integrity.

Not really concerned bout the water ingress. If anything, it will offer a little quenching effect, which will only help lower the EGT's even more. Will think about it. Even though I would be driving pretty slow during a major downpour, I don't want tons of water going into it, so will just have to see how it goes. I could probably do some kind of a mod to mine. Besides, I have not been able to find a 5'' snorkel head anywhere, so I will just run my DIY. I am also considering adding a methanol injection kit....which is also a quenching system. (Washer Fluid!)

My EGT's are what they are. The rig runs like a top, and different tunes make very little effect. I am running 36'' tires with 4:10 gears. That is not optimal, but it isn't horrible.

The top of the airbox is out of a mid 2000's GM pick up. It uses a filter that is slightly bigger than what comes on a Duramax, so I figured that will be sufficient. I cut up a battery box that I had laying around, cut and pieced it all together. Then pop riveted, epoxied, and Flex taped it. It might not be pretty, but she's about as tight as my prom date was. So, good enough! The lid is sitting on it backwards in the pic, but I think you get the main idea.

Sounds like you are about to have a ball with yours! Be sure and post up on it, as you can.

IMG_20191004_1408344.jpgIMG_20191004_1408542.jpg

IMG_20190926_1844191.jpgIMG_20190926_125938_02.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190926_125938_01.jpg
    IMG_20190926_125938_01.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks for the extra pictures! I had meth injection on one of my older van, didn't run it long enough to get a good enough impression. I kept the kit but haven't done anything with it yet as I'd have to get different nozzle size for this big engine. Still thinking about it though. I recalled it helped on long climbs to keep EGT down. I was running the winter washer fluid as it had a higher concentration of alcohol.

I also saved my custom snorkel from my old Nissan Patrol but looks like someone helped themselves to it as I was looking for it a few months ago and I just can't find it. Too bad as it had the larger ARB head...

Cheers
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998