Snorkel Help

H0LLYW00D

Observer
So even something as simple as a snorkel for my truck is proving to be a problem for 2 reasons.

1: I have a light where the snorkel bends to come up the a pillar.
2: I have three batteries and one is installed where the stock piping goes for the intake.

I am appealing to the forum for some ideas. so far the solution to the first problem is to move the light onto the snorkel and run the wires through the snorkel to the engine and out form there, of course sealing it from water. The second is the problem my first idea is to route the pipe as per normal but bend its shape into more of an oval then a circle to pass between the battery and the washer fluid tank. There is some concern that this change in dimensions and also the bends the pipe will have to clear everything might cause airflow or vacuum issues.

Thoughts?

PS: if you need pics or clarification let me know and any help is greatly appreciated.

trump

Adventurist
First off, we'll need to know what model/year vehicle you're talking about. Next, since nobody knows what this extra battery and light looks like we'll need pictures. Otherwise my advice would be to move both to a different location or don't install a snorkel.

trump

Adventurist
Three batteries in the engine compartment of a Tacoma is a tall order. The ABS system really gets in the way in that location. Custom intake tubing is probably going to be your only chance of keeping that battery in the same place. I imagine you have a good reason for three batteries, but I have found two to be more than adaquate.

I'm not sure about that light, but I wouldn't modify a snorkel for it. Are you a firefighter?

d67u57

Adventurer
custom indeed. low profile on the hood(make sure it connects properly when you shut it)

and then to the side thats less cramped. better boring the hood than the side

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
How about routing the intake into the cab through the firewall? Lots of intake noise that way but I don't see another way to make it work except through the hood a la the new range rover. You may need to examine why you want a snorkel...

H0LLYW00D

Observer
The stock air pipe has been removed, so its just open, the filter is still in place but the air now comes from under the hood, which is not so bad right now as it is cold outside at the moment until spring comes and then I can see some overheating issues, in taking warm air.

upcountry

Explorer
Relocate the windsheild washer reservoir and use the newly available snorkel that uses flexi duct (http://www.airflowsnorkels.com/details.php?id=127 ). Cut a hole in the inner fender wall behind where the windsheil washer reservoir was and route it through that way......

Or, relocate the windsheild washer reservoir and move the battery up front and use the stock hole.

Either way the easiest sollution seems to be moving the windsheild washer reservoir, or getting an aftermarket reservoir that will fit better somewhere else.........

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
The easiest way would be to lose the third battery (put it in the bed if you really need three batteries or mount a smaller Odyssey somewhere like between the bed and quarter panel) and move that light; either down and out of the way or just mount it to the snorkel. You're sucking hot air from the engine compartment as it is now.

H0LLYW00D

Observer
I am planing to get this solution applied as soon as possible. I have been talking to the people at Airflow Snorkels that make a kit for the Tacoma to work out the piping issue which they are designing right now for me. I am just fixing the light issue.

As for the light issue if I moved the light forward out of the way how much work would it be to cover the holes and paint that or the whole fender with out it looking like crap?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
As for the light issue if I moved the light forward out of the way how much work would it be to cover the holes and paint that or the whole fender with out it looking like crap?

Won't the snorkel housing cover the hole? If so, paint the edges with touch up paint and leave it. If you must repair the holes, patching with metal, welding, sanding, prepping, and painting will cost beau coup loonies. You will likely be better off getting a replacement fender and having it painted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle