Snorkel Install. Am I being ripped off?

boknows

Adventurer
My advice is, go to the local body shop they should be able to install the snorkel I have work
In body shops for 29 years people come in with all kind of things to get installed and the best part is the labor rate is lower than mechanical rates.
Read the instruction if you have to drill a large hole in the side go to home depot and buy the right size and let the shop used it I would estimate two to three hours to install.

Concur, 500 is way high. Buy it, take the instructions around to a few body shops for second opinion if you are uncomfortable with the install. ARB does a great job of making it dummy proof and there is nothing special a 4 wheel drive shop would be required.

The hardest part was committing myself to drilling that big *** hole in the fender... few hours/ coronas later in the driveway and it was a done deal.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Ive been over to AT but I had no idea they sold snorkels etc. I guess I missed that. Looks like I'm waiting till I get to Prescott for my compressor as well since they seem to have those. Thanks for the info!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Ive been over to AT but I had no idea they sold snorkels etc. I guess I missed that. Looks like I'm waiting till I get to Prescott for my compressor as well since they seem to have those. Thanks for the info!

I love it when a plan comes together! AT can do about anything you need to your truck. Please say hi to Martyn for me!

texasguy

You're not being ripped off unless you pay it and even then, if you agree to it, is it a "rip-off"? With that said, $500 is too much. I would expect $100-250 max.

In addition to xlnt advice already given, I would suggest the following:

1) Posting for help on a local hummer club forum if one exists. I belong to a local on-line club that specializes in ford diesels and have used them for much help - both on and offline. Good to start an association with local hummer owners anyway if you are wanting to do mods/trips/etc. Be willing to pay something, buy beer/dinner, etc.

2) Advertise for help on CL.......but with the following caveat. Ensure the person can show some knowledge/experience in what you are needing done. Anyone experienced can bring the few tools needed to do this, do this in your garage/driveway and will not have the ovhd of a "business". ANd with today's economy, there are qualified people out there who could use a few extra $. I have done this recently when I had problems (and needed a specialty tool) on putting a motor back together and found a certified ASE/Ford mechanic who lived close, could do the work in my garage and needed some easy cash. Win-Win. Know what you are willing to spend (I advertised and paid $50 for what would have been min. $250 elsewhere plus I had to get the vehicle there). But do a little research/verification on the person before you let them come over or touch your vehicle. I got this individual's name, a reference and was able to on-line verify he was indeed a mechanic.......and I asked for ID when he arrived and quizzed him about how he was going to do the work (I already knew what needed to be done, just needed verification, help and the tools). Likewise, I was present the entire time he worked on the truck. Since then, he's become a good friend and resource.

For me, part of the fun of vehicles is working on them yourself. Very few of us can do everything (I can't) but the more you work on it and learn, the less you will be at the mercy of others. Whoever does it, at least watch and learn.

BTW, here is a thread showing an install:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756631

Last edited:

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I think the $350.00 for a snorkel is too much. Drive down to Home Depot and get a snorkel for $40.00 is the plumbing department, cut a hole, and be done.

But, I am all go and no show. Function function function....If looks are really important spend $5.00 more on some paint for the tolet pipe.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
A large part of Adventure Trailers business is vehicle conversions, so yes we do install snorkels.

It's hard to say how long a snorkel install takes as it varies from vehicle to vehicle. While some are very straight forward and quick others, like my Ford F250 was long and complicated. Cutting through the fender seems to be standard on most Safari Snorkel installs, but it's what happens between the snorkel and the air box that takes up all the time.

On my F250 the air box had to be modified to alter the direction the air intake came from, it got more complex because part of the air box also housed one of the batteries.

I'm sure there are manufacturers guide lines on how long the job takes, which would dial the labor in more accurately, but to compare installs from one vehicle to another isn't realistic.

sniderexciderr

Observer
i made one for my ford (they dont make them for mine) made it out of exhaust tubing, and rubber intake couplers. i just need to finish sealing it to the air box. wasn't hard at all. The hole i cut in the fender was a tad low but if i'm not mistaken, safari snorkels come with a stencil. i used a skill saw with a steel blade to cut the hole. would have been easier with a drill and the right size bit. i feel anyone could install one just take your time. ask a automotive savvy friend to help. i'd also like to add, just extending the intake up to keep it out of the water isn't the only thing that you want to do before you dump it into a deep water crossing. There are various vent tubes you'll want to extend to keep water from getting into your transmission, diffs, transfer case, ect. also pretty easy stuff. this would be a great project to start building experience working on your own truck.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Hey thanks for all the help and advice everyone. I'm still debating what I'm going to do here. I'd like to work on it with someone and get some experience doing it but I also would like to give AT some business now that I know they install this stuff. Also Scott C the total quote was for 850 sorry for confusion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger