Snorkel Wars

reece146

Automotive Artist
I'm worried that the "normal" style of snorkel will get ripped off by trees. That's why I low the low profile version.

TJMT15100SeriesBullbar.jpg

ejohnson

They dont really make them for my car, so, I made my own.

The car has locked awd, these pictures show my old tires, I have much larger on there now.

DSCN0136.JPG

DSCN0137.JPG

ejohnson

lol, ok.

It is a 1988 325ix, its full time awd with locking diffs. The drivetrain is layed out very much like a truck is.
325ix%2520drivetrain.jpg

I installed 2 inch lifts front and back along with some 30 inch tires.
Comes with a 2.5lt straight six engine and a 5 speed manual trans.

Front and rear valances were removed to allow for better angles in the front.

DSCN9990.JPG

We currently use it to tow cars and trucks into the shop at my work, but when summer comes it is back out on the trails with the big trucks.

Future mods that I want to do are a winch in the front, gas tank armor, and fender flairs.

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
lol, ok.

It is a 1988 325ix, its full time awd with locking diffs. The drivetrain is layed out very much like a truck is.

It's interesting to see people using vehicles different from the norm. I didn't know these have locking diffs. Front/centre/rear, or what? Not limited slip?

- Andrew.

ejohnson

Center and rear are locking, they are viscouis coupled locking diffs. I have a extra set that are welded up for full locks.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I've only seen one other of those. In person, actually. It was a rust bucket from backeast but it had a nice paint job, and ran like a top. New owner brought it to our shop, and was getting a full tune-up done.

I remember him being daunted by the rust repairs required, but not dissuaded. :) He clearly loved that thing.

ejohnson

Rust is the main issue on these. BMW only imported about 3000 of them to the US from 1988-1991. Most of those went to the midwest and are now rusted out so bad. Alot of people also end up scrapping them due to high part costs (front axles are $1200 each)

Mine has some rust on it, but I just say those are my floor drains for water crossing :)

trekrem

You would be flotsam...

so the thing about water crossings... it's only good if the water isn't fast enough or deep enough that your car loses traction. After that, you're flotsam (or is it jetsam?) along for the ride.

You would be flotsam... If you threw your GPS out the window in attempt to help the situation, the GPS unit would be jetsam. :088:

Ristin

I am so glad this thread has survived so long otherwise I would have never seen it. Learned a lot saw and some really COOL and unusual rigs. I'm new to this site, but thoroughly hooked. I've always wanted a snorkel on my truck (78 IH Scout Terra) but it's way down on the list of priorities. Since my carburetor is in pieces on the bench and the brake lines and shocks are not long enough for the recently installed 4" lift and the floor pans are rusted out and, and, and...

Here's a pic of another Scout I used to own: 1980 Scout II Turbo Diesel. A brand new Toyota went through before me and sucked in water. They pulled the sparks plugs and turned the engine over. Water shot several feet out of several cylinders. They reinstalled the plugs and the engine started right up. Lots of blue smoke and two distinct new knocking noises from the engine but we never saw the truck again so we assume they made it out. By brand new, I mean still had temporary registration paper in the window.

1980 Scout 4.JPG

BotterbrodtGE

Don't have a snorkel and i did fine. Then again, gotta love an old truck with the air breather on top of the engine and not hiding in the bottom of the fender. Snorkels are like many other mods. Not really necessary. These pics are from a full day in the woods driving through an average 2' of water, everyone else had 33's and up and I'm running around bone stock. But its what you want and if you'll enjoy it. I know that my old Jeep has gone more places than most modded 4wd trucks.

a9e9udud.jpg
gasasa4y.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Don't have a snorkel and i did fine. Then again, gotta love an old truck with the air breather on top of the engine and not hiding in the bottom of the fender. Snorkels are like many other mods. Not really necessary....

And just how necessary would you deem them if you were in 4' water rather than 2'?

The world isn't limited to 2' deep water ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman