Snow Camping

959overland

There's nothing quite like snow camping. The peace and quiet pairs perfectly with getting cozy in your sleeping bag. Not to mention the actual adventure of getting to your camp site, that's really the highlight of the trip. There's something special about laying in bed knowing that you did something productive with your day, whether you learned or experienced something new, or simply got something tedious out of the way. However, no matter what you're proud of before you shut your eyes, you can't beat the feeling of being alone and isolated from humanity, at least for a short period of time. The specific reason that makes isolation feel unique may be different for all of us. However, we can all agree that the adventure, much like the journey in life, is more important than the destination.

IMG_5009.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg3F3738FC-2456-4F7B-957C-580B92E6B1CA.JPG

NMNomad

I would love to do some snow camping. However, I need to get a good heat source so the wife and kids are not miserable in the process.

alia176

Explorer
I just had a surprise 18th bday for my daughter last sat at 9,000', in the middle of a snow storm. It was a freaking blast! Would I want to camp in it? Hell no, but it sure is fun to snowshoe/hike/snow wheel in those temps. After the party, we chained up our rigs and went snow wheeling.

I particularly despise the shorter daylight hours and huddling by the fire starting at 5:30pm until bed time ain't my idea of a good time. I'm also not a hunter so I'm not wired this way, but I do admire folks who do winter camping.

I 100% agree with the OP about a snowy forest. It brings a sense of communion and peace like none other. I don't generally hike in the summer but I'll spend the entire winter in the forest doing something physical. Thankfully, my mountain is half hour from my house, and for that, I'm hugely thankful.

ABLVV857g3oBhG0_96CXRAA7LQvIzLxA88raj2EyeLoKFCVRoY1Sgg12CjYH-JcEy6Ab8_y3pe2-KyTlLTWNYqnZZuX71jFG35PDJ27I6qFYYNIbTolyvBdI1rULeP2zrGhCMR2gFLiMPnueGunq7NNTnf-0Lw=w1171-h879-s-no-gm
ABLVV87IISMC1xTSrOJbRjyryuNe5DfSzfh7q948kPIvG03HB5ihKMi3q1bXNIuWJ2ZV1G73ABHkbNLWGTLI93eLTXRbQJIpokN8fD2fPthBt4buUyQRNyjk3Roys3yThNxsx-K4r3LtYvetR5UCx-q2X1RkcA=w1318-h879-s-no-gm

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Snow camping? I guess that could be a thing. Go to upstate NY around Ft. Drum where the snow will be 12 to 18 feet deep and temps run around -35 to -50....then go camping, staying in a vehicle is cheating, get out there a dig a snow cave! Have some real fun....

959overland

Snow camping? I guess that could be a thing. Go to upstate NY around Ft. Drum where the snow will be 12 to 18 feet deep and temps run around -35 to -50....then go camping, staying in a vehicle is cheating, get out there a dig a snow cave! Have some real fun....
Sheesh, might consider adding that to the bucket list, haha.
I've seen some photos and videos on those snow caves, I'd like to learn more about them.

959overland

I just had a surprise 18th bday for my daughter last sat at 9,000', in the middle of a snow storm. It was a freaking blast! Would I want to camp in it? Hell no, but it sure is fun to snowshoe/hike/snow wheel in those temps. After the party, we chained up our rigs and went snow wheeling.

I particularly despise the shorter daylight hours and huddling by the fire starting at 5:30pm until bed time ain't my idea of a good time. I'm also not a hunter so I'm not wired this way, but I do admire folks who do winter camping.

I 100% agree with the OP about a snowy forest. It brings a sense of communion and peace like none other. I don't generally hike in the summer but I'll spend the entire winter in the forest doing something physical. Thankfully, my mountain is half hour from my house, and for that, I'm hugely thankful.

ABLVV857g3oBhG0_96CXRAA7LQvIzLxA88raj2EyeLoKFCVRoY1Sgg12CjYH-JcEy6Ab8_y3pe2-KyTlLTWNYqnZZuX71jFG35PDJ27I6qFYYNIbTolyvBdI1rULeP2zrGhCMR2gFLiMPnueGunq7NNTnf-0Lw=w1171-h879-s-no-gm
ABLVV87IISMC1xTSrOJbRjyryuNe5DfSzfh7q948kPIvG03HB5ihKMi3q1bXNIuWJ2ZV1G73ABHkbNLWGTLI93eLTXRbQJIpokN8fD2fPthBt4buUyQRNyjk3Roys3yThNxsx-K4r3LtYvetR5UCx-q2X1RkcA=w1318-h879-s-no-gm
That's great, sounds like a fun time. I've always wanted to try snowshoeing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online