Snow Peak Addiction

screwball48

Explorer
It is possible that REI has pulled the more popular Snow Peak items for two reasons. 1. So they can choose what items to offer at the 20% off. 2. Ensure that there is a stock of merchandise when the product line officially launches next month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lennart

Adventurer
Lennart, what have you found about the seasoning on the SP cast iron pieces you have? Are they pre-seasoned, or coated with some sort of non-stick? I went to start seasoning my mini oval ditch oven, and it seemed coated with something already...

The pots are definately pre seasoned. I have an old large DO and a couple of the micro pots. I haven't seasoned them. Wash with warm water only and store dry, you should be good !

Lennart

Adventurer
Thanks, Motoz. I think Lennart makes us all feel Snow Peak Inadequate, though.:chef:

Lennart, what's your recipe for whatever you made in those photos?

Google for chiritori nabe and you will find a lot of hits in Japanese. Completely useless.......
I can read Hiragana and Katana but the Kanji kills me ;)
So I just wing it and go for what looks good :)

This dish was with noodles, cabbage, green asparagus thinly slice, carrots sticks, paksoi, bean sprouts, mixed fresh forest mushrooms, crayfish and Tuna fish roasted with sesame seeds. Steamed in a Miso broth. Could use some extra kick next time so perhaps some lemon grass or chili (let's go fusion :chef:).

Who is next to show their efforts?

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
If by seasoning you mean painted then yes. They have a coating of a silicone based paint. The cast iron is not exposed. SP is not very good at disclosing these things either but I read somewhere that they use a silicone based paint. No point in seasoning something that has paint on it.

The pots are definately pre seasoned. I have an old large DO and a couple of the micro pots. I haven't seasoned them. Wash with warm water only and store dry, you should be good !

cactusjk

Explorer
I am trying to hold judgment until the big April IGT product launch...
It is possible that REI has pulled the more popular Snow Peak items for two reasons. 1. So they can choose what items to offer at the 20% off. 2. Ensure that there is a stock of merchandise when the product line officially launches next month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
By popular demand.... the first tan prototype for the Snow Peak knife/cutting board storage case.... I made it slightly larger than my original green one. That way the stainless steel 1/2 inserts can be stored around the cutting board (if needed). It's made with 2 layers of cordura material, quilted together. It's a very time consuming process but makes for a great product.Very durable and aesthetically pleasing. I'm going to start making more in the near future.....

0329171904a-1.jpg
0329171901a-1.jpg
0329171902b-1.jpg
0329171904-1.jpg

Riptide

Explorer
Nicely done, Ryan! Never thought to check to see how the knife kit fits. Is that the large or the small knife? When you open up the knife case, could one use it in the IGT as one of the table inserts? From your picture, it looks about the same size as the steel panels...

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Nicely done, Ryan! Never thought to check to see how the knife kit fits. Is that the large or the small knife? When you open up the knife case, could one use it in the IGT as one of the table inserts? From your picture, it looks about the same size as the steel panels...

Thanks. :)
It's the large one, I reckon. It does fit inside the IGT.
The wooden case fits snugly inside the SS inserts. Years ago when I carried my SP stuff in action packers, it's how I stowed it. Killed 3 birds with one stone.

jerdog53

Explorer
By popular demand.... the first tan prototype for the Snow Peak knife/cutting board storage case.... I made it slightly larger than my original green one. That way the stainless steel 1/2 inserts can be stored around the cutting board (if needed). It's made with 2 layers of cordura material, quilted together. It's a very time consuming process but makes for a great product.Very durable and aesthetically pleasing. I'm going to start making more in the near future.....

View attachment 393761
View attachment 393762
View attachment 393763
View attachment 393764

Sign me up!!!!

Small Dog

I am not sure if this is the right spot to ask this question, but I just got the IGT extension table (thanks REI) and was hoping to use it independently sometimes. However, I discovered what everyone else probably knew that it only has the hooks on one end. Does anyone know of an adapter or fix to use the snow peak legs?

Riptide

Explorer
If by seasoning you mean painted then yes. They have a coating of a silicone based paint. The cast iron is not exposed. SP is not very good at disclosing these things either but I read somewhere that they use a silicone based paint. No point in seasoning something that has paint on it.

Yeah, I have the Tramazzino cooker, and knew that it was coated with some sort of clear silicone non-stick coating. But I'm surprised to know that SP painted their cast iron with something resistant enough to handle being placed in hot coals without burning off. I'll probably still season the insides normally...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan