Snow Peak Addiction

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The problem with the single BBQ box (I don't have experience with the double BBQ box) is that the fire pan doesn't really allow for air circulating under the coals. The coals choke themselves in their own ashes. I've heard of people having good luck drilling holes in the fire pan to allow air under the coals. I tried something different: I found a grill grate that was just the length and just cut the width to fit. It rests on the sloped sides of the fire pan and holds the coals about 1/2-1" above the bottom. This allows air to circulate underneath. Now, the coals will burn until there's nothing left but ash. The heat is now more consistent and burns for quite a while. I can now sear meats or slow cook with the lid on without the coals going cold.

Makes sense Tony...thanks and I'll give this a try!

sierrahsky

Adventurer
I still remember the first time I ever used a snow peak product years ago. IT was amazing. I was a backpacker and snow peak was the lightest stuff and most durable you could buy. I just love that they cross over to vehicle expedition trips so well.

cactusjk

Explorer
Any pictures of this setup? Is the top of your coal grate above the holes on the side of the pan?

The problem with the single BBQ box (I don't have experience with the double BBQ box) is that the fire pan doesn't really allow for air circulating under the coals. The coals choke themselves in their own ashes. I've heard of people having good luck drilling holes in the fire pan to allow air under the coals. I tried something different: I found a grill grate that was just the length and just cut the width to fit. It rests on the sloped sides of the fire pan and holds the coals about 1/2-1" above the bottom. This allows air to circulate underneath. Now, the coals will burn until there's nothing left but ash. The heat is now more consistent and burns for quite a while. I can now sear meats or slow cook with the lid on without the coals going cold.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I'm feeding my Snow Peak addiction too, I picked up the Mini Solo cookset yesterday from REI for backpacking use with my MSR pocket rocket and Snow Peak spork that I previously had. I got an insulated coffee mug too, I would have gotten a double wall Snow Peak cup but this one has a sippy lid on it which the titanium cup does not have.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Any pictures of this setup? Is the top of your coal grate above the holes on the side of the pan?

The grate isn't completely above the holes, but it's about in line with them. Enough air does get below the coals, because with the lid off the coals burn completely until all that is left is ash. Before, the coals would choke themselves out.

Look at how SP drilled smaller and larger holes in the fire pan of their newer double BBQ grill. That might work too.

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
I have the IGT boxes , and with lump mesquite charcoal that I brake into smaller lumps, I have no problem achieving high searing heat and complete burn on the charcoal. just light it up in a chimney ,let it burn for a while, then transfer to the box. great fire control can be achieved by lowering the pan down.

chrisvonc

What is the best way to clean the mesh?
I keep a small wire brush in my case to clean the grates while they are still warm, like this one:
http://www.shop.mobile-shop.com/images/1203454012986328900511.jpeg

Just thinking out loud but perhaps these BBQ grills were designed more for Japanese style Yakitori... like smaller bite sized eats. That's the type of grilling I mostly see while in Japan.
I have had no problem with much thicker/larger items. The biggest issue is gauging the amount of charcoal you will need for the meal, as well as which grill you are using.

I guess my two questions would be how much charcoal are you using and how are you lighting it/bringing the coals up to temperature?

When we use it this weekend @ SyncroFest I'll take some photos of how we use the BBQ box in the field and we can see if there is anything we're doing differently?

With a good amount of coals in the single BBQ box and using the lid, I've cooked dinner and still had enough heat coming off them in the morning that I could have reheated some meats the next morning. Granted this was when I first started using the single box and kind of had a little too many coals in it. I had to cook dinner with the grates at their highest setting. After some more practice about half the amount I used the first few times will do for what ever I am tossing on there and cool down a few hours later.

As it was mentioned before, the coal pan in the single box doesn't have any bottom ventilation so getting the coals going evenly in the pan itself can take a bit longer but once you get all your coals going, it will actually help stretch the life of them in the pan and be extremely efficient. When I got the Twin BBQ Box and later the Double BBQ box, the bottom venting made it much easier to get your coals going in the pan itself. It also provides much more air flow and more even heat, the downside I've experienced is that your coals burn up twice as fast. This took a little to get used to and by increasing the amount of charcoal I found getting the entire meal cooked is not a problem.

I guess you need to consider which one will suit your needs best. As someone who owns all three models (BBQ Box, Twin BBQ Box, and Double BBQ Box) and have used them quite a bit, I can say from my own experiences that all three perform very differently from each other, all have some great points, but all have some not so great points in usage, storage, and portability. If you want to see some more pictures of the 2 larger grills here are some I took when I first received them:

The Twin BBQ Box: https://picasaweb.google.com/chrisvonc/SnowPeakTwinBBQBox#

The Double BBQ Box: https://picasaweb.google.com/chrisvonc/SnowPeakLiftUpBBQBox#

Last edited:

Colby Jack

Traveler
Although most Snow Peak gear represents great design and engineering the GS-1000 is at their pinnacle IMO. I made an adapter so I can run it on bulk propane...kind of important when you're pulling up to 34,000 btus!

I, too, would love to get more details on this propane adapter. I have been using Snow Peak mugs, coffee press, and tea kettle for some time now. I keep waiting for my pocket rocket to die so I can replace it with a giga.

I'm looking for some detailed pics of this IGT table set up. Do you guys think that this type of setup is family friendly, meaning bulletproof? If there is a weakness in design, I'm sure my teenage boys would find it.

Thanks in Advance

Colby Jack

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I originally planned to machine several and then sell them. But to be honest I assumed there just weren't very many if any folks that were using the GigaPower LI Stove that would want bulk propane adaptability.

At full bore 34,000btu it doesn't take too long to burn through a ~450g canister hence my desire to utilize bulk propane. So far it has functioned as expected on 100% bulk propane. If there is interest I can figure out a cost...

chrisvonc

I originally planned to machine several and then sell them. But to be honest I assumed there just weren't very many if any folks that were using the GigaPower LI Stove that would want bulk propane adaptability.

At full bore 34,000btu it doesn't take too long to burn through a ~450g canister hence my desire to utilize bulk propane. So far it has functioned as expected on 100% bulk propane. If there is interest I can figure out a cost...
Interesting, I'd like to see pictures of this adapter. With the great differences in pressure between the 2 mediums (propane being much higher) did you add in a separate regulator to compensate so your stove regulator was not taking the brunt of that pressure?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020

cactusjk

Explorer
Here are pictures of a custom SS riser I had made for my BBQ box to improve air flow around lump charcoal.BBQ2.jpgBBQ1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan