Snow Peak Addiction

Jet111111

Camping Expert
Their Overland Expo booth was weak. Expensive china crap for the most part. Flimsy expensive tables that were warped ect. What the heck is to love about this stuff?.. Well they do have great adds and I'm sure it's better than a lot of stuff but its nothing special.
What are the few products that shine besides that cool copper hammer that I want but don't know why? Hmmm..Maybe I just figured out the attraction to their stuff.

A stumpalump, ya know we can't expect to appeal to everyone but we try our best. Nearly 80% of our product line is made in Japan. All our cookware, tent stakes, Iron Grill Table Accessories, Tables, Cutlery. Products such as stoves & fuel we make in Korea, and our tents, LED Lights and bags are made in China.

I'd love to know your advice on how to make the Expo booth cooler.

Hafwit

Adventurer
Snow Peak doesn't make the cheapest equipment or in some cases the best. However, what they do (and I think do well) is to engineer some unique gear that is very functional and aesthetically pleasing. For example, there are many manufacturers of camp stoves, barbeques, and the like. Nobody else that I can think of makes a modular unit with the functinality and pure enjoyment of using it that Snow Peak's Iron Grill Table has. Not only does this add a great deal of fun to our camping, but we enjoy using it at home on our patio. Everyone in the family (young and old) loves using it. Can you think of something else that does that? I could go on and on about many Snow Peak items as I have accumulated quite a few. At the same time, there are some of their items that don't appeal to me. I think the price of their Japanese cast iron cookware is too high for what you get. I don't personally see that their cast iron is significantly better than other manufacturers' products. Sure, it is made by well-regarded Japanese craftsmen who have been making such things for a very long time--but I say, "so what" and I don't buy it. Other people will certainly appreciate the origin and decide that the price is justified. I'm happy for them. I feel the same way about the charcoal chimney and their garbage bag holder. In my opinion, there are other cheaper options out there that are as good if not better. However, the torch, the backpacking stoves, the lights, the chopsticks, etc. remain some of my favorite and most used gear.

Cheers,
Greg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Snow Peak doesn't make the cheapest equipment or in some cases the best. However, what they do (and I think do well) is to engineer some unique gear that is very functional and aesthetically pleasing. For example, there are many manufacturers of camp stoves, barbeques, and the like. Nobody else that I can think of makes a modular unit with the functinality and pure enjoyment of using it that Snow Peak's Iron Grill Table has. Not only does this add a great deal of fun to our camping, but we enjoy using it at home on our patio. Everyone in the family (young and old) loves using it. Can you think of something else that does that? I could go on and on about many Snow Peak items as I have accumulated quite a few. At the same time, there are some of their items that don't appeal to me. I think the price of their Japanese cast iron cookware is too high for what you get. I don't personally see that their cast iron is significantly better than other manufacturers' products. Sure, it is made by well-regarded Japanese craftsmen who have been making such things for a very long time--but I say, "so what" and I don't buy it. Other people will certainly appreciate the origin and decide that the price is justified. I'm happy for them. I feel the same way about the charcoal chimney and their garbage bag holder. In my opinion, there are other cheaper options out there that are as good if not better. However, the torch, the backpacking stoves, the lights, the chopsticks, etc. remain some of my favorite and most used gear.

Cheers,
Greg

Great post.

I look at it like this: There are a myriad of companies making nice stuff. I like to buy once and be done. EVERY bit of Snow Peak gear I have works as advertised and looks nice to boot. Back that up with outstanding customer service (they have always taken care of me) and I'm more than happy. I have a garage full of camping gear that I've collected over the years and my Snow Peak stuff is always my first pick when I'm loading up.

In my opinion some of the Snow Peak stuff (stoves, tent stakes, IGT, cutlery, cookware, folding fire pit) is best of breed.

cactusjk

Explorer
X2!

Great post.

I look at it like this: There are a myriad of companies making nice stuff. I like to buy once and be done. EVERY bit of Snow Peak gear I have works as advertised and looks nice to boot. Back that up with outstanding customer service (they have always taken care of me) and I'm more than happy. I have a garage full of camping gear that I've collected over the years and my Snow Peak stuff is always my first pick when I'm loading up.

In my opinion some of the Snow Peak stuff (stoves, tent stakes, IGT, cutlery, cookware, folding fire pit) is best of breed.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I bought my daughter a mini Hazuki lanturn at Expo this year, and we use that thing every night to read in bed. LOVE that little light!!

Sent from highest tree in the woods trying to get a signal

soul

Observer
Snow Peak Double BBQ Gas Conversion

It has been a year now, been gathering and using Snow Peak stuff like crazy. The whole IGT4 setup, with double bbq and dual Baja Li Burners has made the camping experience one of the best.

The double bbq simply awed fellow campers, as it fed over 30 people with a very low amount of briquettes. But for those "no fire zones", was contemplating on getting a portable gas bbq. There are many to choose from, but considering space issues and keeping a consistent setup am thinking of a drop-in gas setup for the Snow Peak double bbq.

Here is the thought, and would appreciate any feedback and suggestions !!

1) The Snow Peak Double BBQ has approximate 17 x 12 x 3 inch space available inside (occupied by the charcoal tray).
CK-160.jpg

2) Instead of fitting a tube burner, am thinking of going ceramic infrared. So same level of heat like white burning charcoals but clean (and self cleaning). The plan is to put in 2 of the VC-9 ceramic burners inside the double bbq, and attach with a copper pigtail that will come out from the side.
VAPA Burners Brochure1.jpg

Once I double check the sizes, and fittings will then get the parts ordered.

MMD3

I finally picked up a Baja Burner Li and I'm wondering how those of you that have them transport/store them. It seems like Snow Peak makes a specialized carrying case for every other product in their line EXCEPT this burner. I have this bag for the bbq box, but don't know that it'd work for the baja as well: http://www.snowpeak.com/bib-case-ug-080.html

Honu

lost on the mainland
that is so funny I just started looking into this idea this week :) hahhahah I kid you not :) to funny either a new unit or a conversion that would be able to be pulled out

was kinda hoping to do a thing where I could drop it in my single I have and come up with a way to use the holes on the bottom when I want and use charcoal when I want :)

I was thinking something like this
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100478...reId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100478980#specifications
and just do the L channel thing again ? but these seem BIG ?
or rip it apart and stick it in my single one somehow ? since the knob/valve would be there to use ?

again just getting the brain rolling

the pick you had never saw steel ones before ? kinda interesting could be more durable ? I heard a few things about the ceramic getting wet and cracking ?

did the ones you posted the pic of need a regulator setup and which one would work ? I know the magma grills sells lots of stuff like that separate ? or does it just need a valve to control ?

Honu

lost on the mainland
I finally picked up a Baja Burner Li and I'm wondering how those of you that have them transport/store them. It seems like Snow Peak makes a specialized carrying case for every other product in their line EXCEPT this burner. I have this bag for the bbq box, but don't know that it'd work for the baja as well: http://www.snowpeak.com/bib-case-ug-080.html

I just used the bag that came with mine and packed it in with my kitchen gear ?

the other thing I have done recently is tried to use some soft bags like cheap coolers to hold things in that are strong on there own ? maybe finding a cheap soft cooler for a more padded bag ?

soul

Observer
That is funny, I also checked the same Charbroil burner unit for this !!! Actual burner part is small, but the thickness is over 8 inches, so too big for SP double bbq.
We also need the exact dimensions of the burner, which is bit difficult to get with these models. The part is also expensive, they sell this for hundreds while you get the same size between $18 to $55 from outside US.

The issue with most infrared burners is the feeder/venturi pipe extends too much from the frame, either sideways or below (I checked some China ones as well).
Vapa burners seem to haves minimum overhang of the feeder pipe and as you said are also available in Stainless steel instead of Ceramic. The gas pressure (< 1 bar) is suitable, I am thinking of either going with 1 regulator and 2 valves (will need to drill holes in steel) or just 1 regulator 1 valve on the side with a copper pigtail to the burner from one of the side holes. Ideally it should be drop in replacement for the charcoal tray, with single connect to the gas line. That is the goal.

MMD3

I just used the bag that came with mine and packed it in with my kitchen gear ?

the other thing I have done recently is tried to use some soft bags like cheap coolers to hold things in that are strong on there own ? maybe finding a cheap soft cooler for a more padded bag ?

so I'm sort of an idiot... I actually hadn't opened the box when I posted this and didn't realize it came with a bag. Kind of surprised me because it's the first snow peak unit I've purchased that you didn't have to buy a carrying bag for separately.

I'll try seeing if I can fit it in one of my other bags w/out it banging around too much.

I also picked up one of those dual-sided single-burner grill/griddle's. I'm going to try cooking some eggs and pancakes on it and see how good of a job it does.

Honu

lost on the mainland
For some reason my home bbq is not working right ?
Leaks now and the back infared is not working :(
Nice grill but thinking just go charcoal for home

Seen some reasonable priced rottiserie replacement units ? Like the back one in my unit ever looked into those ?

Was going to head to some stores this week and scope burners and ideas :)
And check out that HD unit so can scratch that one off my list now :) way to deep

So debating about taking mine out of my home unit to play around with it ?
But might just need a new main hose so not sure what I will do :)

I noticed quite a few units are small elements for the size ? Not sure if it is so hot needs to have room ?
What would be nice for the SP is get a second tray so its built nto that so easy swap

Magma says it has IR but its not according to some ! Its just mesh over tubes ! Not the high heat ceramic
Solaire seems good but $ and sketchy reviews these days

That is funny, I also checked the same Charbroil burner unit for this !!! Actual burner part is small, but the thickness is over 8 inches, so too big for SP double bbq.
We also need the exact dimensions of the burner, which is bit difficult to get with these models. The part is also expensive, they sell this for hundreds while you get the same size between $18 to $55 from outside US.

The issue with most infrared burners is the feeder/venturi pipe extends too much from the frame, either sideways or below (I checked some China ones as well).
Vapa burners seem to haves minimum overhang of the feeder pipe and as you said are also available in Stainless steel instead of Ceramic. The gas pressure (< 1 bar) is suitable, I am thinking of either going with 1 regulator and 2 valves (will need to drill holes in steel) or just 1 regulator 1 valve on the side with a copper pigtail to the burner from one of the side holes. Ideally it should be drop in replacement for the charcoal tray, with single connect to the gas line. That is the goal.

Last edited:

Hafwit

Adventurer
If you are looking for a quality barbecue for home use, you can't go wrong with the Kalamazoo grills. They are pricey, but they get the job done better than most. The hybrid grills are the most fun since you can cook with gas, charcoal, and/or wood on the same unit. They are also built like a tank.

Cheers,
Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears