Snow Peak Double BBQ Charcoal to Infrared Propane Conversion

soul

Observer
Some temperature tests, am getting low 300deg to over 1000 deg F with good control in the range. The peak will be over 1000 deg, but did not want to damage the thermometers.

WP_20131022_15_44_51_Pro.jpgWP_20131022_15_46_30_Pro.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
man good chunk of ahi block and throw it on there 1000 degrees maybe 15-20 seconds per side HOT then nice and cold inside :)

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I just have to ask- the burners are described as for sharwarma/ kebabcookers

In those cookers the panels are mounted vertically and don't see any fat grease or BBQ sauce in normal use,,accept for the odd splatter.

In my house BBQ too I have similar burner- also mounted on its side

How are they going to manage the fat of for example a chicken with the skin on quartered ?
or a sausage that bursts open ?

Just asking !

hoser

Explorer
I can't speak for these burners but the ceramic one I have at home is mounted horizontally. I let it burn off grease for a bit after grilling and the center section is clear... but the edges of my burner don't get as hot and do get clogged. I have soaked the burner in water and poked the holes with a paper clip but I can't get them all clear.

soul

Observer
Actually I just turn burners to full heat a the end, the temperatures turn everything into ash which can be blown off.
I find it even easier to clean the grills because of the self-cleaning effect at that temperature.

soul

Observer
man good chunk of ahi block and throw it on there 1000 degrees maybe 15-20 seconds per side HOT then nice and cold inside :)

That is tempting, will sure try it sometime.

I was not sure of getting good temperature control, but the burner seems to respond to fine control between 300 to 700 deg F. Even cool down is fast, I can hit 1000 and then come down to 550 within few seconds.

In my chicken test, took it to 800 and did about 30 sec each side and then brought down to 500 deg for 3 minutes each and they were done.
More trials to come ...

soul

Observer
Some recent pictures of the rig. Anyone has used TEC Radiant Glass Panel based grill? One (more) mod will be to add glass panel, making it a pure infrared grill versus 50:50.

Snow Peak Double BBQ Propane setup

WP_20131231_14_27_38_Pro.jpg

Snow Peak Double BBQ Charcoal setup

WP_20131231_14_29_07_Pro.jpg

TEC Radiant Glass Panel

TEC.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
Any updates ? How's it working ? Changed anything :)

Getting itch to start some fun project

soul

Observer
Its working great!, faced some issues with the cheapo regulator but the burners and grill have cooked lots of food. I got the TEC glass plate, but past few months got too much office work in hand.
Will start tinkering soon!

Honu

lost on the mainland
cool when ya get some pics more on that glass post up :)

still on my want to do list is buy a dual and convert but its taking a back seat to getting kayaks and trailer :) hahhah since I can cook already

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears